Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2004 11:30:25 PM EDT
Anyone else save aluminum cans?

I got a pile of cans and Im wonder why Im even saving these things.  Im going to get enough to fill up the trunk drive them to the place and get maybe enough money to but a box of cheap ammo.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:32:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:47:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't bother saving cans or bottles , but then I mostly drink home brewed Iced tea
so it would take me a very long time to make a $1
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:50:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't bother saving cans or bottles , but then I mostly drink home brewed Iced tea
so it would take me a very long time to make a $1

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:59:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup, we save cans, plastic ans everything else that can be sold for cash.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:58:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I save the aluminum cans to teach my 8 year old son on how to make money. Right now here in Kali-fornia(for those cans marked CA) we are getting a bunch of money per pound for recylcing cans. My son is so proud of the money he earns recycling cans that he going to buy the Halo2 video game.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:02:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I save the aluminum cans to teach my 8 year old son on how to make money. Right now here in Kali-fornia(for those cans marked CA) we are getting a bunch of money per pound for recylcing cans. My son is so proud of the money he earns recycling cans that he going to buy the Halo2 video game.

Wow I think its 30-40cent a pound here, what is it there?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:04:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow I think its 30-40cent a pound here, what is it there?

I was going to guesss that here in Kali-fornia we're getting something like $1.50/lb, but then we have  a tax of something like $0.02 per can.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:05:59 AM EDT
[#8]
In Michigan, you get 10 cents per can / bottle.

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:15:14 AM EDT
[#9]
You pretty much have to here in Oregon.  They charge you $.05 each when you buy them and that's the refund when they are returned for recycle.

It's a pain in the ass, but we drink a lot of soft drinks at our house.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:16:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Here in Kali-fornia, we can get paid on a per container or per pound. I figured that we are probably getting the short-shriff on the per pound thing, because the state affixes the tax on a per container basis, but if you have a small bottle when you turn it in, the state pockets the difference.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:29:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I let my son collect them and he keeps the money. His motovation to not throw them away is my story about how, as  a kid, I saved cans for a whole summer and made enough money to buy myself a new 10 speed bike.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:11:54 AM EDT
[#12]
We save cans also, take them out back, fill with water and the kids shoot them with CCI Stingers - a great way to have familly fun!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:13:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes I do!  They pay $1.50 a pound around here!  And yes I also pick thru garbage to get my damn cans!  If I ever become homeless I am prepared and skilled!

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:08:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Last time I took my cans in, I got $.42/lb. I went straight down to the store and bought a big Angus Ribeye, a huge Idaho potato, some cheese, and sour cream. That night I had a nice mid-rare, Dales-marinated steak and an oven-baked potato replete with butter, sour cream and cheese.

Yummy
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:15:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I recycle all bottles and cans, and compost every bit of organic material that can be composted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top