Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2004 3:12:40 PM EDT
I have one of the Florida E-pass transponders that "allow" you to electronically pay tolls as you go through the toll booths.  This saves a little time since you don't have to stop to put in quarters.

Over the last two years, I've paid these bozos nearly $1000 for the "privilidge" of driving on their roads.  

Well today, I get a letter from the Florida DOT in the mail.  Turns out they claim I ran the toll booth (their "evidence" is a picture of my car and tag).  The bastards are threatening me with $100 fine and points on my license if I "run" the toll booth again.

How in the hell you can "run" a toll booth with an electronic transponder is beyond me.

Furthermore, why can't the stupid SOB's simply check on their computer to see if I have a transponder, before sending me a threatening letter?  That way, they could collect their lousy $0.50 without pissing me off.

I'm also pissed because the letter states that this *has* to be my fault.  Either I didn't have the transponder mounted correctly, or the battery was low, or whatever.... It can't possibly by *their* fault, since their system is 100% perfect and never makes a mistake.

Has anyone else butted heads before with these numbskulls?

I'm to the point where I'm either going to rip the POS out of my truck, or simply remove the tag from my car.  Here in Florida, I believe that's only a non-moving civil offense, and the fine would be less than $100.  

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Here in Florida, I believe that's only a non-moving civil offense, and the fine would be less than $100.  

First, to knowingly remove a tag is criminal. Second, if it was accidental (say lost or so) it would be a moving violation, which is $115. Fines went up for everything a few weeks ago. Speeding fines got pretty stiff.

I went through not too long ago and the thing didn't "beep" so I'm waiting to get the same stupid ticket.  Trust me, I'll fight it.  Traffic ticket is like any other ticket...take it to court dude.

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:33:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

First, to knowingly remove a tag is criminal. Second, if it was accidental (say lost or so) it would be a moving violation, which is $115.

Do you know offhand the statute for that?  I looked for it earlier, and all I could find was FL 316.605, which says it's a noncrimal traffic infraction.

I'm not doubting what you say (it took me 30 minutes to find what I did, so it's possible there are other statutes dealing with it that I missed).... just curious where it is in Florida law.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:34:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Toll roads suck...
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:34:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Not off the top of my head but most all criminal statutes for traffic are in chapter 322 not 316.

Sorry, if you make me look it up I'm putting in for OT!   hahahahah

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:54:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh, don't forget to check the monthly statements as every so often they toll rings up $4.25 instead of $1.25.

And when you call to request a refund they ask if you are sure the toll was really $4.25 instead of $1.25. My response is to ask what f**king toll in the state of Florida cost $4.25 and that always shuts them up.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Not off the top of my head but most all criminal statutes for traffic are in chapter 322 not 316.

Sorry, if you make me look it up I'm putting in for OT!   hahahahah

The F.S.S. 322 #'s deal with driver's license laws.  Some 316 statutes deal with criminal laws.  To my knowledge, it's only improper display of tag.  $70.50 citation, in Pinellas County.  

If I got a citation for running a toll and had one of those, I would go to court.  

Colt_SBR  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top