Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/1/2004 7:06:19 PM EDT
Just curious if anyone uses one of these.  Sound off if you have one - and have an opinion about it.  I'm assuming they must be legal at least somewhere in the USA.   They aren't in Wiscnsin :(

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Just curious if anyone uses one of these.  Sound off if you have one - and have an opinion about it.  I'm assuming they must be legal at least somewhere in the USA.   They aren't in Wiscnsin :(

I have one about 40 years old, made in Italy. Very nice.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Perfectly legal in Florida. Lots of auto knives on the market, some are good quality others are cheap crap.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#3]
MICROTECH SOCOM ELITE

Gotta Love Arizona Laws....Yes ,it's legal to carry here!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Torque assisted or good flippers are pretty damned fast.

I would have one anyway, if I were allowed here in my part of AmeriKa  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Benchmade 5000SBT Presidio Auto Axis.  I am active duty military and we are allowed to have them.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#6]
They're legal in the the PRK(aka Kali-fornia), but the blade lenght must be not be more than 2"
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

After carrying for years, I cannot grasp the concept of using two hands to get an exposed edge.   If they are banned, I will go with a fixed blade in a sheath.

Who does?   My CRKT's, Kershaws and Benchmades are all single handed operations.

None of them are autos.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Paragon ATKO8 OTF
Microtech L-UDT, LCC, ATCF
Buck 110 auto
S&W EXOPS
and a Protech Godfather on the way....
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have a Benchmade 5000SBT Presidio Auto Axis.  I am active duty military and we are allowed to have them.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/TennVol/Bench.jpg

A cool knife and a Hot Wife. Sounds like you're making out at every turn
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Buck 112 Auto
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:14:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/TennVol/Bench.jpg

A cool knife and a Hot Wife. Sounds like you're making out at every turn

Thanks.

You have an excellent memory!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:26:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
They're legal in the the PRK(aka Kali-fornia), but the blade lenght must be not be more than 2"

No..its 2 or more inches, and it must be manufactured within the state of California. If it is shipped from over state lines it is illegal. Of course, exceptions for active duty military and LEOs.

There is a small market for CA legal autos, with most starting in the 50 dollar range. (for a 1.9" blade....)

John

Ill stick to my Benchmade Skirmish for EDC, 4.5 inches that you can open just as fast as a switchblade. Two words: Brownie Pop.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:27:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I second the "one hand non-auto".

Switches are cool, but even though I can own one in IL (sworn FF/Medic), the thought of losing a $100+ knife v.  a $45 one makes me cringe.

BTW? - Buck Crosslock w/ the serrated sheepsfoot blade.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:55:07 PM EDT
[#17]
They're also legal in Oregon (home of Benchmade Knives). Aside from the extrem"cool/gadget factor," it's hard to build a great case to own one. Most tactical folders these days can be opened just about as fast with a little practice, and there are fewer internal parts that could fail when it really counts. That said, would I own one in Texas if they were legal? Heck yeah!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I love autos,
primarily i carry a Gerber/Emerson auto.
ive got a BM AFO 9050, S&W 1250, Colt M16 auto,  and my 2 fav Mikov autos, one with a sambar handle, and another one of a kind  mikov with antique European Wapiti (smooth) handle, both the Mikovs have damascus blades.
I like an auto because it opens fast, one handed every time. it takes less dexterity, and less  fine motor skill than trying to open a non-auto in a high stress situation IMHO. plus they are fun to have.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:13:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I have one nice one (Atko, iirc; it's in my desk drawer at the office), and I've bought a few cheap ones to give away as novelty gifts.

Quoted:
Perfectly legal in Florida. Lots of auto knives on the market, some are good quality others are cheap crap.

Yup, absolutely. But:

1. Remember, if it's big enough, it may qualify as a "weapon" for CCW analysis. The CCW statute and the case law talk about "common pocket knives" as non-weapons. If an annoyed policeman decided that your automatic was a "weapon," and you had no CHL, you'd probably have to stand trial, since the average Joe probably wouldn't think of an auto as a "common pocket knife."

2. At the gunshow last week some shithead had a table full of S&W knives (seemed pretty nice for the price), including some switchblades of which Gomer said [wink, wink, nod, nod] "These here ain;t exactly legal, but I'm selling the hell out of 'em till somebody arrests me."

eta: After looking at another post, my auto is a Paragon. I guess ATKO is part of the model number. Has a hell of a spring on it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:14:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I have this one. It will be your favorite auto. Which configuration did you get?

AB
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:16:27 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
MICROTECH SOCOM ELITE

+1 on both counts.

Microtech is the absolute best.

WE NEED A POLL!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:18:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
MICROTECH SOCOM ELITE

+1 on both counts.

WE NEED A POLL!

BTW, it's only legal to carry here if you have a CCW.  It is considered a weapon and concealing it is a no-no.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:46:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have this one. It will be your favorite auto. Which configuration did you get?

AB

The Tactical model with solid black handle, I really liked the Jazz model a friend has but was short on cash when he placed the order.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:08:56 AM EDT
[#24]
The "new" D/A autos are pretty cool,you get to have the best of both manual and auto knife. You can use it as a manual knife for every day carry and the auto release for playing around. You would have to get a knife cop for them to fiqure out the bolster release [on the LCC and ATCF anyway] which hopefully would mean if you where not being a asshole to start with the cop wouldn't jack you up for carrying a "switchblade".
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:59:58 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm thinking of one of these Frank Beltrame's that are from Italy:

http://www.italianstiletto.com/home.html

A classic looking automatic knife.  I have been told by people who sell them they are legal to buy and "collect" in OH but are illegal to carry.  Hence at home use only.  I have not verified this for myself.

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:12:43 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
MICROTECH SOCOM ELITE

+1 on both counts.

WE NEED A POLL!

BTW, it's only legal to carry here if you have a CCW.  It is considered a weapon and concealing it is a no-no.

Pocket clip.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:16:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
MICROTECH SOCOM ELITE

+1 on both counts.

WE NEED A POLL!

Cite your source, man!

I have a BenchMade Mel Pardue auto. Yay!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Benchmade Reflex here.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
MICROTECH SOCOM ELITE

+1 on both counts.

WE NEED A POLL!

Cite your source, man!

State law specifically excludes "pocket knives" from the concealed weapon statute. I dunno what he's talking of.

ARS 13-3102. Misconduct involving weapons; defenses; classification; definitions

A. A person commits misconduct involving weapons by knowingly:

1. Carrying a deadly weapon without a permit pursuant to section 13-3112 except a pocket knife concealed on his person

I guess it could be confused that an auto knife is a "deadly weapon", aside from a pocket knife, but I've never seen it done. There is also a "standard" of 4 inch blades, but I have never seen it written anywhere, so till then, it isn't law.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:06:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Benchmade make a quality auto. I haven't had a chance to handle a microtech, yet. Here in VT you can have an auto if the blade is less that 3 inches.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
MICROTECH SOCOM ELITE

+1 on both counts.

WE NEED A POLL!

Cite your source, man!

State law specifically excludes "pocket knives" from the concealed weapon statute. I dunno what he's talking of.

ARS 13-3102. Misconduct involving weapons; defenses; classification; definitions

1. Carrying a deadly weapon without a permit pursuant to section 13-3112 except a pocket knife concealed on his person

I guess it could be confused that an auto knife is a "deadly weapon", aside from a pocket knife, but I've never seen it done. There is also a "standard" of 4 inch blades, but I have never seen it written anywhere, so till then, it isn't law.

+1

Arizona Revised Statute 13-3101

13-3101. Definitions

A. In this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:

1. "Deadly weapon" means anything that is designed for lethal use. The term includes a firearm.

Arizona Revised Statute 13-3102

13-3102. Misconduct involving weapons; defenses; classification; definitions

No idea WTF he's talking about.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:33:08 PM EDT
[#33]
From LoginName's link:

by law,  he makes, repairs, sells, or otherwise deals in,
  uses, or possesses any offensive weapon. (b) Exception.--
  It is a defense under this section for the defendant to
  prove by a preponderance of evidence that he possessed of
  dealt with the weapon solely as a curio or in a dramatic
  performance
, or that he possessed it briefly in
  consequence of having found it or taken it from an
  aggressor, or under circumstances similarly negativing any
  intent or likelihood that the would be used unlawfully.
  (c) Definition.--As used in this section "offensive
  weapon" means... any... dagger, knife, razor or cutting
  instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic
  way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or
  otherwise...

Possesing the weapon solely as a curio? Does that mean one can own one but never take it out of the house? Is this a collector exception?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:43:43 PM EDT
[#34]

Any good web sites where you can view/review and purchase an auto knife?

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:45:34 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a couple Benchmade and MicroTech autos. Enjoy the wow factor, but carry my Emerson CQC7 most of the time.

My coworker had his MicroTech fold up on him during use once, and I carry saltwater fishing/boating. I do not need to have to worry about sand or salt causing a problem with my knife.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Well, in IN, you can carry a CIII weapon if you have a Personal Protection Permit, but no auto knives allowed.  AFAIK, there is also NO provision for military and law enforcement, Air NG pilots can't even use issued parachute knives?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:34:50 PM EDT
[#37]
I have one that was my granddads.  It was bought sometime in the 50's.  It barely works but looks in decent shape.  It just sits in a safe place for memories.

For a carry knife I have a SOG Flash II...it's not technically a switchblade, but it has spring assisted opening.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Sections 1242 and 1243 of this title shall not apply to -
       (1) any common carrier or contract carrier, with respect to any
     switchblade knife shipped, transported, or delivered for shipment
     in interstate commerce in the ordinary course of business;

What is a common carrier??
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Carrier-for-hire; UPS, Fedex, DHL, freight company, et c.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Carrier-for-hire; UPS, Fedex, DHL, freight company, et c.

I think all that means is that "common carriers" can't be held leagally liable or charged for shipping or transporting verbooten knives.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

http://videoknife.com/qt.html    
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:52:25 AM EDT
[#42]
I have two that sit in my safe. It's not legal to carry here in VA, except police, EMS and active duty military. Plus they cost so much I don't want to lose/break them. One is a Masters Of Defense (MOD) "Trident" and a Benchmade 5500? I can't remember. I love the MOD, way better than the Benchmade. When I was in the Navy I carried my MOD whenever we had any evolution that might require a quick, strong, sharp knife. Now I leave them in the safe to show the kid when he get's older like my dad did with his old Italian stilleto.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:40:46 AM EDT
[#43]

Perhaps not as good as the others but they do look classic.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:44:12 AM EDT
[#44]

Benchmade 9050 AFO
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:45:39 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Right Here!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:47:41 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

PV Knife
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:08:17 AM EDT
[#47]
For anyone that wants a good, fast knife, but can't legally own (or afford) an auto, I HIGHLY recommend trying out a Kershaw knife with their SpeedSafe assisted opening!  You can get a Blackout at WalMart for $50

http://www.kershawknives.com/knivesTools/images/blackout.jpg
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:35:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:09:30 PM EDT
[#49]

Thanks for the info StonerStudent, redfisher & Feedingcannibal! Great sites with a lot of selection!

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Blade Auction

Triple Aught Design
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top