Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2004 5:14:22 PM EDT
How do you get this thing to fit right? It doesn't seem to shape correctly to my head? Any suggestions? Other than a new head
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#1]
already posted on your other one
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Stuff it in a jar?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#3]
get it wet shave it then form it.

Personally they are a big PITA, a patrol cap makes so much more sense, but they do look good with A's and B's.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#4]
l.e.g. in berets

J.F.K. would roll over in his grave.

No offense meant to any wearers, just my view.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
l.e.g. in berets

No offense meant to any wearers, just my view.

I am a 'leg' and you are correct.  They are essentially useless headgear, and are a status symbol only.  Now that that status has been degraded to next to nothing, they are worthless IMO.  Do not provide warmth, shade, or rain protection and are worn one million different ways by one million different soldiers.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:47:13 PM EDT
[#6]
The way some users USED to do it:
Use a razor to cut the liner out.
Adjust the draw string for a good fit, tie it into a tight knot, cut the ends off, and tuck the loose ends inside.
Soak the beret in water, put it on your head and form it.  Let dry on your head.  Repeat until it holds the right shape.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#7]
SHAVE SHAVE SHAVE (Inside AND out)

Another trick is to cut a little of the stiffener in front of the flash away on both sides.  I usually end up doing both of those and then wearing the damn thing on my head damp while I'm screwing around the house 'till it "Sets".

Edit: Faris beat me.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:52:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
l.e.g. in berets

+1

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Shave the inside and outside to remove excess fuzz, I used an electric clothes razor designed to remove pil from sweaters.  Then look on the inside, there is a big piece of stiff plastic behind the flash, cut away all excess plastic except for 1/4 in around the stitching.  Then remove the cord, wet it down and shape it to your head.  By the way, they issued two kinds of berets to my guard unit, canadian-way to big and floppy, get rid of it, and DSCP the best kind.  The black beret is a pain in the ass, oh to wear a soft cap again.  Hope this helped.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#10]
i know my buddy brian is just proud as shit of his 82nd airborne units beret (as he should be!!!!!!!).............................but honestly, if nothing else they're fucking french, we've got to be able to do better than that!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Boiling them also helps to shave them, and to shrink them (if they are anything like the berets we used) to make them fit much better.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Boiling them also helps to shave them, and to shrink them (if they are anything like the berets we used) to make them fit much better.

QC on most of the new berets is lacking - so it really depends on the size.  If he has one of the type with enough material to pull down past is ear, boiling is definitly a good idea.  I have seen some, though, with scarcely enough material to pull it down past the edge of the beret itself - those need to stay away from hot water.

COZ:  Why the two threads?  I thought my post disappeared!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#13]
1. Obtain a quality piece of medium density lumber, 12" x 12". Red oak works best.  Hard maple is also acceptable.

2. Spread a layer of horse manure over the lumber, 1/2 - 3/4" thick.

3.  Soak the beret in warm water. Place on head, form fit to contours of brain housing group.

4. Place beret on layer of manure over lumber.

5. Carefully cover beret with a layer of horse manure, 1/4 - 3/8" thick, maintaining form-fitting shape of beret.

6. Bake entire assembly in oven at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, until top layer of manure achieves a blackened appearance.

7. Remove from oven. Remove top layer of manure, place on head, discard rest of assembly. The beret looks like shit on most people, so this method will work as well as any other.

8. This method is not applicable to those who actually take pride in their uniform.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top