Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2004 8:20:18 AM EDT
I have 2 AR15s.  I do not have an AK.  I also do not have the money to buy an AK.  Do you think I should sell one of my M4gery's and use the $$ to buy an AK?

This is eating me up.  I want one badly...but I hate to give up one of my Bushmasters.

Arrg!  What to do???

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:21:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I sell guns only to upgrade. I think you will be disappointed with your new purchase.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:25:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I sell guns only to upgrade. I think you will be disappointed with your new purchase.

Yes...and that's one of the reasons I'm reluctant.  My ARs are excellent rifles but I just have this insatiable thirst for an AK.  Damn!  Maybe I'll take up panhandling for the extra funds.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:26:56 AM EDT
[#3]
If both guns are about the same then I'd do it. I'd get one of the new underfolder AK's, with the money you'd get out of your M4 you should have enough to get the AK, plenty of mags and a boat load of ammo. Just get a good one and not a cheap Sar-1 or something. Pick up one of the better ones. I think it would make a good "U.S. vs Tango" kind of deal where you'd have the weapon that being used on both sides.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:30:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If both guns are about the same then I'd do it. I'd get one of the new underfolder AK's, with the money you'd get out of your M4 you should have enough to get the AK, plenty of mags and a boat load of ammo. Just get a good one and not a cheap Sar-1 or something. Pick up one of the better ones. I think it would make a good "U.S. vs Tango" kind of deal where you'd have the weapon that being used on both sides.  

What you've just stated has been my sole justification on this.  I figured I could sell it, buy a good AK from Brother Nick (DFW area, well known), and still have $$ for mags and ammo.

Yes, both weapons are the same with the exception of one having iron sights and one with optics and a BUIS.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:31:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Id go with a ORF SEAK if I were you
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:32:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:37:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I took my time and built a nice one up from a SAR-1.  New furniture/brake/sling/mags/finish
but not for an AR........trade off....No WAy

start small and build it slow if money is a concern.
Patience.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:38:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Remember the $1200 underfolders, I do. Now you can get one for about $550. IF they ever get a ban back in place they'll jump to $1200(or more) again.  Think of it as an investment. Plus it'll be cool to sit em' next to each other and compare them side by side.   Keep the AR with the optics and BUIS, pick up a good AK with about 20 Mags and 2K rounds of ammo and have fun. Life is too short.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Can't you get AK for like $135? A guy here has them for that much ....
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Can't you get AK for like $135? A guy here has them for that much ....

Hell, just go get one from a school kid on a street corner, that's where Fineswine said they'd be.LOL
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:42:25 AM EDT
[#11]
All of these differentiating opinions are the same thoughts that go through my head.  ARGG!  I'm nearing the stage of pulling out my hair!

Maybe the most sound advice given so far is to just be patient and save my pennies.

That's probably what I'll do...unless TNFrank keeps posting...he's got me all riled up to go do it right now.

Damn...I'm so torn...I feel like a bitch in a shoe store.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Contact Derek at AZEX arms and have him build you a trick AMD 64 AK, you will not be disapointed.

Sell the AR and have one of each.
With the extra cash pick up a 1000 rnds of wolf or some 75 round china #1 drums.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#13]
The Ice Cream Man must have some cheap AKs or UZIs in his truck. Check with him first.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Buy Me, Buy Me.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:51:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Like I told TNFrank on another board. Eat Snack ramon for a few weeks and then get the AK. And keep the ar's. You will be sad to get rid of one of your kids.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Perhaps it would be easiest just to sell one of the UPPERS from one of your AR's and use that $$ to get an AK.  It should be plenty to get a decent SAR-1 or MAK90 (both good rifles) with plenty of mags and still keep your AR lower.  Uppers are easy to replace.

My $0.02.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:59:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Like I told TNFrank on another board. Eat Snack ramon for a few weeks and then get the AK. And keep the ar's. You will be sad to get rid of one of your kids.

LOL, Guns are like women, the idea is to "have" them, not to "keep" them.  It's like if you had two redheads, you'd want to swap one of them for a brunette, wouldn't you?  I would.  I've got a 27a1 that I wanted more then anything, I've had it for about 6 months. Now I'd like an Uzi but I've got no money, guess what, the 27a1 will be up for sale soon.  I've had it, shot it, now it's time to move on to the next gun.   I have my "core battery" which consists of:

Taurus 38sp. snub.
Marlin 17V, 17HMR w/2.5x32 scope
CAR in .300 Fireball
Austin & Halleck Flint Mt. Rifle,.50cal

I also have a 1911a1, 27a1 and a K-31 all of which are expendable if I find something else that I'd like.  As long as I keep my base guns I can trade the others and still have what I "need" to get by.  It's not that I don't like the others, I do, but I don't always have money to just buy something else so I always have guns that I can trade without feeling too badly about it.   If you've never had an AK you need to pick one up just to have the exprience of owing one for a while.  Flip a coin, heads you get the AK, tails you don't. That's an easy way to settle it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I've got a very nice Bulgarian Aresenal SA
7 for sale in the EE-I 'm also in DFW
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
www.vectorarms.com/myweb2/guns/AK_Black_Underfold22.gif
Buy Me, Buy Me.

I swear to god...that had me laughing so figgin' hard...whew!  hahaha!

DAMN YOU, FRANK...

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:04:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Sell the damn bushie. Get an Arsanal Inc.SAM-7S and a cobra red dot. Thats what I did a couple of years ago and I have never looked back. As a matter of fact it was the best gun related choice I have ever made. My SAM-7 goes to the range with me everytime I go.

Trust me go with the SAM-7 and dont settle for anything less.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:06:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Perhaps it would be easiest just to sell one of the UPPERS from one of your AR's and use that $$ to get an AK.  It should be plenty to get a decent SAR-1 or MAK90 (both good rifles) with plenty of mags and still keep your AR lower.  Uppers are easy to replace.

My $0.02.

That actually isn't a bad idea...hmm...I'll simmer on that.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Sell the damn bushie. Get an Arsanal Inc.SAM-7S and a cobra red dot. Thats what I did a couple of years ago and I have never looked back. As a matter of fact it was the best gun related choice I have ever made. My SAM-7 goes to the range with me everytime I go.

Trust me go with the SAM-7 and dont settle for anything less.

REALLY?!  You sound pretty convinced!  I will absolutely check into that.  I'm much obliged for your opinion.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My $0.02.

That actually isn't a bad idea...hmm...I'll simmer on that.  Thanks.

I actually do that quite often when needing cash, or wanting a new gun that I don't have the $$ on-hand to get.  It makes it MUCH easier when I want to "reaquire" that AR since I don't have to worry about FFL transfers since I kept the lower.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:15:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Buy what you like. Why should we decide for you?

I have a really nice pre 87 Polytech Legend in my collection.   I don't care for it as far as shooting it goes, so it sits in the safe. Not because it's special, just because I don't like it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:17:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Hell no, why do you want an inferior POS?  Shouldn't you get something like 3 or 4 AK's in trade for one AR?

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:19:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Thank you, everyone, for your opinions and advice.  It truly is appreciated.

I do believe I have a stronger foundation on which to base my decision.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:19:50 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
It's like if you had two redheads, you'd want to swap one of them for a brunette, wouldn't you?  

Nope id keep the 2 and add a brunette. Well maby 2 brunettes to even things out.

The thing about building firearms is when they leave the shop it like one of your kids leaving. I take pride in my work. And each one has a little of me in the making of it. So I is really hard for me to git rid of stuff out of my own collection.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Just make sure you post a pic of your new AK when you get it. LOL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top