Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2004 10:08:51 AM EDT
I am VERY seriously considering enlisting with the USMC and possibly trying to go for Force Recon. One of my friends is also interested in doing so. I know the Corp has some sort of buddy program or something that you can go through training together or something. How does this work? Do you go though training together and then get split up afterwards, or can you stay in the same unit?
Thanks,

Chris
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:11:33 AM EDT
[#1]
There us to be a buddy program but it best to talk to a recruiter to see if the program still exsists.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:11:34 AM EDT
[#2]
From many years ago (almost 13 years now)...recon would let you try out if you got the okay from your unit chain of command no matter what your MOS, but it was hard as hell to even pass the test to be allowed to try out.

A friend tried out and didn't even come close. He was first class PT, swim class 2, and all that green machine stuff.

He went MSF on a navy ship and did really well, afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#3]
The buddy system is kinda bs.

I've known two sets of friends that went in on the buddy system, ando they are both separated now.

I think that if you get the same MOS, then you have a better chance of staying together.

You will definaltely go into boot camp together, though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am VERY seriously considering enlisting with the USMC and possibly trying to go for Force Recon. One of my friends is also interested in doing so. I know the Corp has some sort of buddy program or something that you can go through training together or something. How does this work? Do you go though training together and then get split up afterwards, or can you stay in the same unit?
Thanks,

Chris

The army has it or something like it.

It would be cool to go through with a friend BUT unfortunately stuff happens and one friends gets cut at meps or loses interest. SO I would say dont depend on your buddy to hang do it for yourself.

You will make alot of friends in boot...
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#5]
HS

As stated anyone can now take the indoc, however the big issue for non 03s is your monitor needs to allow you to go.   I know several people who have been selected by the BN but the monitor won't let them go.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:18:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey thanks for all of the replies. I kind of figured it would be a complete longshot to get into recon together. If we had the same MOS do you think we could stay together if I decided not to pursuit recon?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:19:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Join the Army sign up for infantry for the least amount of time, make sure to get airborne/ Rip in your contract.

If you pass basic great, if you pass infantry school even better if you pass airborne shit bring on RIP if you pass that then your a true badass and try ranger school.

Personally I would pick army alot of opportunity and money.

I would hate to see you sign up to be a warrior then you get hurt and cant go forward with all the hi speed stuff and get stuck in the rear (or wherever they need you)

good luck

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#8]
WADR Son...forget the "buddy" stuff and think about YOU and YOUR career.  Don't tie your future to your friend, even if he/she is numero uno in your life.

Join the Corps.  Do well and graduate high in your company.  Request Infantry and learn your warfighting skills down COLD!  After you have been a mud Marine for a while, THEN request to try for Recon.  One step at a time...first you need to transition from civilian to warrior and THAT is REALLY going to open your eyes.

Get strong, fast and quick.  Gain physical endurance.  If you aren't running a lot now...start.  Hit the weights and eat right.  Exercise well and prepare your mind and body.  Read all you can about the great history and traditions of the Corps.

Mentally prepare yourself to leave your currentl life behind and join a Band of Brothers.  You aren't going to believe the changes...nor will your family.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:26:34 AM EDT
[#9]
If you have the same MOS, you would be in the same pipeline but that doesn't mean you will get stationed at the same location.  However, some larger MOSs like the 03, 08 and 18 series have cohesion fills to Battalions.  In those MOSs there is a good chance you would go to the same unit if you have the same MOS.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Things may have changed but boot camp is about all you'll be gauranteed to stay together.  Not that it matters much because you won't be "pal'ing" around.  After SOI you'll have the chance to indoc for Force.  IF you don't pass then and you're an 0311, you'll be able to retest whenever they hold an indoc.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
WADR Son...forget the "buddy" stuff and think about YOU and YOUR career.  Don't tie your future to your friend, even if he/she is numero uno in your life.

Join the Corps.  Do well and graduate high in your company.  Request Infantry and learn your warfighting skills down COLD!  After you have been a mud Marine for a while, THEN request to try for Recon.  One step at a time...first you need to transition from civilian to warrior and THAT is REALLY going to open your eyes.

Get strong, fast and quick.  Gain physical endurance.  If you aren't running a lot now...start.  Hit the weights and eat right.  Exercise well and prepare your mind and body.  Read all you can about the great history and traditions of the Corps.

Mentally prepare yourself to leave your currentl life behind and join a Band of Brothers.  You aren't going to believe the changes...nor will your family.

Good luck!

We have already agreed that we would both go 110% and if one of us cant keep up, so be it. I haven't made the decision to go or not yet, but I am running 5 miles twice a week and doing various endurance type exercises.

Thanks again for all of the replies. I really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Everyone wants to be recon/Force Recon for about the first month of bootcamp then somewhere a long the way the vast majority lose interest in it.  If you want to join the Marine Corps, join because you want to be a Marine not because you want to be a nomex ninja.  If you want to be a high speed/low drag ninja warrior, you have better chances at it in the Army.  Only for the past year has the Marine Corps had a SOCOM element (MARSOC DET 1) while the the other branches have been involved in SOCOM since its inception.

That being said, if you want to be a Marine for the honor and priviledge of joining an elite fraternity than we can definately give you a shot at it.  Go infantry, intel, or combat engineers and do well there.
As both a former Marine infantrymen and Marine Corps infantry officer I can give you loads of advice on joining my beloved Corps!

1-800-US MARINES
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#13]
You won't be getting a chance to even speak to your buddies you report to boot camp with for about oh say the first 2 months anyways.  Been there and done that.  After boot camp all 3 of us were sent to different areas, although 2 on the same company at Lejeune (after SOI).
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:23:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Go back and read what LWilde said....   I agree with him completely.

I was 0311 but had no dreams of Recon.  We had a Marine in our platoon in SOI that looked like a complete shoo-in.  He left one day for try-outs and came back all worn out...  he didnt make it.  He was definitely the hardest-charger in overall fitness in our unit.

Good luck soon to be Devil Pup...
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:02:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I agree with these guys. you can go to boot camp together, and probably hang out together at School of Infantry, assuming you're both 03's. I just wouldn't count on it. What if one of you gets a stress fracture or some other injury in boot camp? That happens a lot, trust me. It's not the end of the line, but it does mean you will drop into MRP (Medical Rehabilitation Platton) for awhile until you're healed up. Meanwhile your buddy (or you) goes on to graduate ahead of you. Hell, I saw maybe 3 guys I was in boot camp with once I got out into the Fleet Marine Force. That being said, I think you're making a good choice joining the Corps. It made me feel good to be part of something so great (and the ladies love it!) Just my 2 cents...
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:22:59 PM EDT
[#16]
another thing to remember is that there are 2 different kinds of recon in the marine corps. you have battalion recon and force recon.

also, you can get a guaranteed recon indoc slot in your contract now, whereas in the past you had to put in for it and your unit commander had to approve. the guarantee is just for a slot in the indoc program. the rest is up to you.

semper fi
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
another thing to remember is that there are 2 different kinds of recon in the marine corps. you have battalion recon and force recon.

also, you can get a guaranteed recon indoc slot in your contract now, whereas in the past you had to put in for it and your unit commander had to approve. the guarantee is just for a slot in the indoc program. the rest is up to you.

semper fi

The recon contract really doesn't mean anything.  It allows you to take the indoc at SOI, however the indoc is open to any active duty students at  SOI other than contract SF and MSG.      
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top