Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 6:42:43 PM EDT
I was discussing socialized medicine and was saying everyone pays in and even if you have the money you cannot go to a private DR.  so my question is why could a person in Canada just go to a private non government Dr.??

Or as a last resort use a private Dr.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#1]
OK, socialized medicine is like this: there are a bunch of "government approved/contracted" doctors who perform services for a quoted price from the government.  Usually, they are overloaded with work (cause the .gov is paying for it-->no incentive for people not to see the doctor when their pinky toe hurts) and usually can't take on additional patients.  Doctors do have a finite amount of time to work.  They cannot see patients 24/7.  A private doctor, one who is not relying on the government to pay their salary, can see whoever they like.  Their patient loads are usually less (since most people don't want to actually pay for services) and thus can see additional patients if they have the money to pay.  

The thing that you said about having the money and still can't see a doctor is one of the "after effects" of long term socialized medicine.  Akin to the system that is currently implemented in England (and has for some time now) medicine as a career field is just not as attractive to potential applicants, and thus the total number of doctors drops in time.  When they get down to a point where the total "need" of the patients exceeds the total "working time" of the doctors, and the doctors are contractually obligated to provide services only to those being payed for by the government (government has to maintain market share) those doctors do not have additional time to see other patients, thus the scenerio you spoke of.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:12:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Aw you guys are nuts Canada has had a good system for many years

most people get good treatment, and are well

This is pure Republican right wing bull crap.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I have good health care now and I dont have to pay for a million illegal immigrants on welfare.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:32:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Like I said the other day .. I often agree with you .. but for this ..

edit: my saracasm detector isnt working today though .. so i will chalk it up to that
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Its illegal in Canada to go private if you are in the medical field because the .gov doesnt want a "two tiered" system, one for the rich and one for the poor.
So my parents come to the US for what they need. Many normal testing procedures like MRIs have a year wait.
Its free though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Because the best most experienced doctors would be swamped, that's why you cant pick your doctors.

I have "free" health care because I'm part native.  Children and emergencies have the priority, and then it's a scramble for the adults for any spaces available for health care.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Why then do many Canadians come to the States for treatments?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#8]
There is actually a billboard at the border for medical treatment in the US.  Hospitals near the border make a good deal of money from Canadians.  They typically have to wait several months for tests that Americans can get in a few hours to a few minutes.  A lot of them die waiting for treatment.  In some cases this actually makes sense, severely premature babies for example and older folks both groups will never have any quality of life.  

Huge amount of the good nurses in the US are Canadian.  They cant make a living in Canada as a nurse so they work in US hospitals.  My buddy got a kidney stone in Toronto.  The nurses were New Zelanders!   They had to import them because they could not find many Canadian nurses.  God they were good looking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top