Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/29/2004 11:17:38 AM EDT
How long had you chewed before kicking the habit, more importantly how did you do it?

Cold turkey or step down gradually?

Take up Heroin?

Die?

I made it 15 hours without a dip before going absolutely ape shit. (I've been chewing for the past 12 years)

If anybody has any pointers I'd like to hear em.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:18:40 AM EDT
[#1]
not without starting smoking
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:19:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I never dipped, but I quit smoking a few months ago after being a pack a day for 11 years.  I went cold turkey, but I chew lots of gum and eat Altoids by the case.  That probably won't help with your dipping, but maybe you could sub cigarettes for dip, then quit cigs?  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#3]
nope
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:23:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Man, don't start smoking whatever you do.

I quit smoking two years ago.  My Doc gave me a prescription for Zyban which is an anti-depressant.  Take the Zyban for a week or two to get it in your system, then quit your dip.  You will still have cravings, but they seem far off, sort of like a memory of a craving.  I took the Zyban for two months total, and have been smoke free ever since.

If you really want to quit, you can do it this way.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Man, don't start smoking whatever you do.

I quit smoking two years ago.  My Doc gave me a prescription for Zyban which is an anti-depressant.  Take the Zyban for a week or two to get it in your system, then quit your dip.  You will still have cravings, but they seem far off, sort of like a memory of a craving.  I took the Zyban for two months total, and have been smoke free ever since.

If you really want to quit, you can do it this way.

Thanks for the tip Bailey- although, I wonder who I would need to hide the "Anti-Depression" meds from... Does that stuff show up on back ground checks as a negative if I were to try to get any particular jobs?

It would seem it's a matter of will power- but there's a constant struggle.  When my mind is made up, I get woozy and my body goes through withdrawals.  When it doesn't seem I crave it- I get all loopy in the head till the craving does return.  Vicious shit.

Luckily I still have all my teeth... I'd like to keep em.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:32:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Dipped Skoal long cut wintergreen or Kodiak wintergreen for 3 years.

Quitting was 2X tougher than quitting cigarettes, which I'd smoked for 25 years prior to that.

I took up dipping because everywhere I hunt is above 5000ft. Thin air. Needed clean lungs.

Dipping is worse, because you get saturated with nicotine. Think about it-a smoke lasts MAYBE 10 minutes. That pinch between your cheek and gum lasts HOURS.

I was going crazy, and I actually started smoking again for a month and a half before I quit. Easier to quit the smokes.

I picked up an extra 20lbs that I didn't need in the first place but it's slowly but surely going away now and I'm enjoying excercise. Hell, yesterday I went 1.3 miles nonstop on my Nordic Track, tension set fairly high, with a 30lb pack in 19:30. I can do a mile without the pack in 13:00. And I don't even think I'm busting ass, either.

I'm gearing up to cross country ski and snow camp. I was thinking next year on this, but things are coming along so well that I think it's gonna happen this year, provided the high country gets some snow.

Quitting dip is DOUBLE TOUGH. Stay with it, see a doc if you must. You can always rely on us for support. Ask Piccolo.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Everything these guys said, and go to some of those quit-tobacco web sites.  There's got to be some helpful information from the American Cancer Institute, among others.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:54:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the insite and encouragement gamesniper...

I figured that I would quit today because it was supposed to be a memorable occasion.  My wife and I are both 24 years old.  (If you do the math it's not a typo- I started chewing when I was 12 yo)  She had a 9mm over-bite and needed not only braces but corrective surgery on her jaw.  Her progress has been simply amazing.  She had the surgery at the end of May and we were wed early June.  I figured that she was going to get the braces off right after surgery... Boy was I way off.  So she had her braces on when we wed.  No biggie but not what I planned.  (In my wedding pictues, I look like the older perve with a 16 yo bride)  

So anyhow, today was the big day for her to get her braces off.  F-I-N-A-L-L-Y!  She also works for a major sporting goods wholesaler and was picking us up 7 new Butler Creek 25 round magazines for the 10/22...  She called me after her appointment and said that the orthodontist didn't have enough time to take off the braces.  OK, that sucks....  Further, even though her puter showed 10 of the magazines in stock, they were on hold and so our order was back ordered.  Suddenly I realized the day was not going my way at all.  (The morning at work was a bit tense between my boss and I as I'm definately "on edge") I started getting tunnel vision on my way home for lunch.

So I'm at home for lunch and had a hot dog in my mac & cheese lunch kick my ass.  Next thing I know, I'm on the couch stuffing the hot dog into my face with both hands while letting out gutteral growls. (My cats freaked)  I realized it was time for some meds and bought another can.... (Humorous content added above... But maybe I'm not joking!)

So now I'm thinking of giving it another go the day the wife gets here braces off. Probably next month.  But I need a different approach, at least I'm thinking I need a fresh approach.

Thanks again for anyone who commented, will comment or just wasted a few minutes reading this.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Try some over the counter painkillers too.  Tylenol, advil, etc.  That can take a little bit of the edge off.

Just don't go overboard with them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
not without starting smoking

What he said .
Thinking of switching back .
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quit 6 years ago after 8 years of hard (1/2 can of Cope a day) habit.

Nicorette, sunflower seeds and willpower

Reason:  birth of my 1st son.  did'nt want to see him spitting at 3 years old, and didn't want him to be fatherless due to cancer if  I could help it.

Find your motivator and you can do it!

And yes, it is a bitch.  I still have days when a slam of snuff sounds good.

ETA:  Oh ya.  Had a Dentist tell me once the inside of my bottom lip looked like his scrotum!  nice thought there.  

Have you started dipping on the top lip because the bottom is raw?  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
snip
Thanks for the tip Bailey- although, I wonder who I would need to hide the "Anti-Depression" meds from... Does that stuff show up on back ground checks as a negative if I were to try to get any particular jobs?

Sly

I wouldn't worry about that.  It isn't anti-psychotic medicine or anything like that.

Bupropion is marketed as a stop-smoking drug under the name Zyban™ and as an antidepressant under the name Wellbutrin™. Thus, any information on Zyban also applies to Wellbutrin, since "they" are the exact same drug.

Go here for more info.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#13]
i quit chewing tobacco about 3 years ago - my dentist told me too and a friend of my dads who is a retired dentist reinforced it.
i put on some weight but not too bad.  i used to keep some hubba bubba bubble gum around (it won't stick in my beard like other brands!) just to keep something in my jaw.

one suggestion:  get some graphic photos of mouth and throat cancer - look at them only for motivation - thats enough to keep you from acting on the cravings.

if thte doc says okay, nicorette might help in the meantime.

good luck and hang in there!    
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:04:29 PM EDT
[#14]
quit smokes, chew and dip many many years ago. I was smoking 2 packs a day and would dip or chew when i could not smoke. just got tired of the $$ and waking up coughing so i quit.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:07:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I been dipping 10 years myself. 1 can day everyday for 10 years. It was easy to quit while in boot camp.
But after I got out of boot camp it was back on. I just like the taste. Hell, if I could quit I would save over hundred bucks a month. That would get me a nice AR and some accessories. Would also make my wife happy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
snip

Sly

I wouldn't worry about that.  It isn't anti-psychotic medicine or anything like that.

Bupropion is marketed as a stop-smoking drug under the name Zyban™ and as an antidepressant under the name Wellbutrin™. Thus, any information on Zyban also applies to Wellbutrin, since "they" are the exact same drug.

Go here for more info.

Thanks again Bailey.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Only tried it once, then immediately quit.

Smoking is much better!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Ok, you're not going like this answer......and it will only work if you REALLY want to quit.

Put a big dip in... wait for the first buzz feeling, then swallow the WHOLE dip and go for a mile run.

Repeat until you're cured. Won't take long.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I chewed a pack of Levi Garret a day for years, quit about twelve years ago. I still want it. I still smoke a cigar every few days or so, cigarettes when camping, will NOT try chewing again. The recommendation to keep pictures of cancer patients around helped me too. I'm scared of it. Very damn addicting.

rk
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:15:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll admit, last weekend I ALMOST had a weak moment.

I was up camping with some friends that were drawn to elk hunt.

The hunting day was over, we're sitting atround the campfire downing some beers and the guy sitting next to me whips out his can of Skoal wintergreen, opens it and stuffs a huge wad into his mouth.

IT SMELLED SOOOOOO GOOD!!!

Then I remembered that Nov. 28th will be one year TOBACCO FREE and I came to my senses.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I been dipping 10 years myself. 1 can day everyday for 10 years. It was easy to quit while in boot camp.
But after I got out of boot camp it was back on. I just like the taste. Hell, if I could quit I would save over hundred bucks a month. That would get me a nice AR and some accessories. Would also make my wife happy.

I'm pretty conservative.  I go through a can a week or there abouts.  The thing is- every waking hour of the day except when I eat, I have a small pinch in.

By PokeChoke: Have you started dipping on the top lip because the bottom is raw?

Nope.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:21:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Ok, you're not going like this answer......and it will only work if you REALLY want to quit.

Put a big dip in... wait for the first buzz feeling, then swallow the WHOLE dip and go for a mile run.

Repeat until you're cured. Won't take long.

We'll see if comes to this... But I'm allergic to puking!

Sly
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Go to Iraq....the 135 degree heat and lack of drinking water will dehydrate you so bad that you won't be able to chew/dip anymore....it worked for me!

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Cold turkey after almost 20 years. It's been close to 10 years since. Never tempted.

Course I was laid up in ICU for 1 1/2 weeks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Go to Iraq....the 135 degree heat and lack of drinking water will dehydrate you so bad that you won't be able to chew/dip anymore....it worked for me!

Strangely enough, that sounds a lot like Fresno.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:43:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I'll admit, last weekend I ALMOST had a weak moment.

I was up camping with some friends that were drawn to elk hunt.

The hunting day was over, we're sitting atround the campfire downing some beers and the guy sitting next to me whips out his can of Skoal wintergreen, opens it and stuffs a huge wad into his mouth.

IT SMELLED SOOOOOO GOOD!!!

Then I remembered that Nov. 28th will be one year TOBACCO FREE and I came to my senses.

Exactly.  That's the damnedable thing about it.  You could be anywhere, in the middle of nowhere... Nothing for miles... But you're not alone.  Cause you've got your companian.  Cope, Skoal, whatever- you're not alone.  Uuugh.  It'll be a rough hunting season if I quit...

Hopefully this thread will come to the attention of someone who will face the temptation to try it.  And they'll know that it's not some "harmless grocery" such as I thought.  It's a manipulative, brutal master.  I know of one guy who quit 5-6 years ago- he still craves a dip to this day.  Lucky for him, he lives on a big ranch in the middle of fricken nowhere Nebraska.  He can't just swing into the convenience store and pick up his old habit.  By the time he gets into town, his urge subsides.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I dip a lot.  I'm not certain that I'm addicted to it.  I usually go through a can every two days.  I ran out last Friday and it didn't occur to me until this morning to go get a couple more cans. If I was addicted, I think I would have been constantly aware of not having any.

I smoked for a few years back in the Army.  After an Ironman competition I quit cold turkey.

There's nothing like sucking the most wind in your life to be a complete convincer to quit smoking.

Good luck.  And I know for a fact that if you WANT to quit, you won't have a problem doing it.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#28]
going on 11 yrs here, at least the last 9 on the hard stuff

ive gone up to a week without a dip before when i didn't have any money and it really didn't bother me all that much, i think its more of a habit than anything, at least for me................on the ordinary i dip a can about every day and a half

good luck, i know at least you'll save money!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

please donate for a hero rifle if you can and would for injured SSG. Jongema, 1st cavalry, car bomb in baghdad

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=278514
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#29]
A few things that will help...if you stop at the same gas station almost every time to get your chew stop going there at all!  I know it sounds kinda odd but it will help.  The only other thing is chew lots of gum.  Trident lasts for quite awhile.
Like it has been said if you want to quit you can quit but if you got half ass then it won't work.  

Once you quit for awhile say a few months don't ever "try" it again.  I am in that boat.  My buddies still chewed and after about 3 or 4 months I "tried" it again by bumming a dip...a month later I am back at chewing.  I had no problems at all quitting for the first 3 months...well back to the drawing board!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:33:50 PM EDT
[#30]
I would like to say yes, but I am chewing again after 9 months.  Oh well new goal to try again.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:35:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I quit, cold turkey.  One day, back in October of 96 I just made the decision that I was going to quit dipping.  I threw away my tin and all the remaining dip and I never did it again.  I didn't have to start anything else up either, I just quit.  That was that.

Edited to add: I had dipped for almost 12 years before I quit...from about the age of 16 until I was 28.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:36:59 PM EDT
[#32]
cold turkey,,going on  6 weeks now.... i do want it tho..every now and then....well..only when im outta beer! lol
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I use to work at a local county hospital.
The VA hospital would send us there terminal patients.
I remember two guys. especially, who had no lower jaw because of cancer from chewing.
Talk about living hell.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:52:45 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I quit, cold turkey.  One day, back in October of 96 I just made the decision that I was going to quit dipping.  I threw away my tin and all the remaining dip and I never did it again.  I didn't have to start anything else up either, I just quit.  That was that.

Edited to add: I had dipped for almost 12 years before I quit...from about the age of 16 until I was 28.

I did the same thing about 7 yrs ago.  Stuck 1 patch on my arm for 1 day.  And that was it.

For 5 yrs.  Had a bad day.  Bummed a dip.  2yrs later, still doing it.  I gotta quit again.  Will do it in a week or so.

Would do it today, but for other MAJOR reasons, it will wait a week.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Smoked, then chewed to stop smoking. Finally went to Tic-Tacs.  Four dispensers of Tic-Tacs a day for three weeks and no more nicotine habit.

Except I had to have Tic-Tacs all the time.  I taped some on my arm with a band-aid and I finally got clean.

Regards,

Mild Bill
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Smoked, then chewed to stop smoking. Finally went to Tic-Tacs.  Four dispensers of Tic-Tacs a day for three weeks and no more nicotine habit.

Except I had to have Tic-Tacs all the time.  I taped some on my arm with a band-aid and I finally got clean.

Regards,

Mild Bill

Taped Tic-Tacs or chew on your arm

Sly
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:14:08 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I use to work at a local county hospital.
The VA hospital would send us there terminal patients.
I remember two guys. especially, who had no lower jaw because of cancer from chewing.
Talk about living hell.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:16:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Yeah.....

Several times...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:16:39 PM EDT
[#39]
My personal best stretch without a dip was a couple of years ago now.  Went 6 weeks without a chew.  It was a constant craving.

In the end, it was my dreams that got to me!

First dream of having a dip I woke up in a cold sweat cursing that I had fallen off the wagon.  Only to realize it was just a dream.

Second dream a week or so after the first, I woke up thinking, "MMM Chew..."  But I still stuck to not doing it.

After the 3rd one, I woke up @ 4:30 in the am, got dressed- went to the C-store and ain't been out of the can since.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#40]
I dipped skoal/copenhagen for about 6 years. I quit about 5 years ago and haven't looked back. I went cold turkey.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:48:41 PM EDT
[#41]
It you have been dipping, then try chewing tobacco. It has far less nicotine than dip and could help ease down your cravings. You still get the tobacco-esq flavor (not really the same as dip, but better than cotton candy bubble gum).
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#42]
I smoked and chewed for about 10 years. quit smoking by chewing a tin + a day.  Had surgery to replace missing gums at 21.  Went back to chewing that night with an extra painkiller.  I quit 3 months ago cold turkey after I opened a tin and just got really annoyed with how it smelled. (It had been out in the sun)  I threw the tin out and got a bag of sunflower seeds to give my mouth something to do. I still really want chews sometimes. (drinking, working on hillbilly rides, etc.)  Just can't bring myself to go through it again.  

SUNFLOWER SEEDS ARE KEY! I would also recommend vandalizing your chew so it is reminiscent of the garbage kerry  is.  Leave it in the sun or on the floor beneath the urinal at the local watering hole.

My friend quit by telling people he knew that if they found one of his tins to put salt, hot sauce etc. in it.  I wouldn't recommend this unless you are a pussy.  Drunkeness + tobasco laced (or worse) chew = hospitalized perp. lol
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:17:02 PM EDT
[#43]
I tried cold turkey.  It sucked, I failed,  but helped me.  While all the severity of the nicotine fits was still fresh in my mind, I started taking the patch.  I still had nicotine fits, but the severity wasn't nearly there.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#44]
I started chewing skoal and kodiak in kindergarten, I switched to copenhagen in 4th or 5th grade. I used to put in a chew every night before I went to bed, so I was pretty addicted. In my early 20s I quit for about two years and it was a bitch. The first month was miserable, then I just felt like I got used to being miserable, it was over a year before I was pretty much over it. Then my dumb ass started up again for a couple years. I decided to quit again and it was easy, no cravings, no stress at all. So after about 6 months, like a good idiot I started again, thinking it was easy to quit last time so what the hell. Two years ago I quit again, and it was not easy, I ate none stop and gained about 25 pounds. You will find yourself trying to justify taking a chew, you know like, " oh I haven't had one for a couple of days," or " I've been doing pretty good so one won't hurt me", or my favorite, "its just been a really stressfull day, I can have just one." Don't do it, if you want to quit just put it down and walk away. Maybe find a physically active hobby. NoVaGator's idea isn't all that bad.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:32:40 PM EDT
[#45]
... This thread is tempting for me. I quit for life last Sunday. Chewed Cope & Skoal for nearly 10 years. I know I can kick it because it is a "trigger" craving and I'm fine until something triggers my desire for a dip. Get done eating, ready to chew. Read this post, want a chew. Going hunting or drinking I'll want one then too.

... It's expensive, nasty, unsociable and dangerous to your health over time. I'll kick it. I just hope I don't use my occasional cigar smoke as a substitute, so far I haven't.

... It's not as easy to quit as it would seem.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm not a quitter..

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#47]
A few days ago I posted about a friend of mine. www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=278081

I talked to him again today. They found the originating source of his cancer. It is in his tongue. He has been dipping for about 15 years.

As a smoker, I certainly am in no position to tell anyone to just quit. Just make sure you are aware of the demon you choose to tempt by continuing. Cancer sucks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#48]
If you can’t quit cold turkey you probably won’t stay quit.

I dipped and chewed for about 10 years and decided one day I would quit and did. I kept quit about 5 years and then took a chew one day when I was out shooting with a friend. I chewed for 4-5 months then quit again cold turkey.

Now I will take spells where I chew for a few weeks then quit for months/years. This is exactly what my father could dowith smoking quit or start at will. I never smoked

I would try stopping cold turkey first… with 2 warnings don’t pick up a cigarette AND watch your weight.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:11:45 PM EDT
[#49]
I started smoking at 16 and used Copenhagen to quit at 21. Now im almost 24 and havent dipped in 5 weeks. I was unemployed for a while and basically sat around the house. My girlfriend kept compaining about dipping so I decided to quit a few times. Word of advice, dont even bother trying to quit if you have nothing to keep you busy. On a day and a half stretch I decided to quit and substitute a cup of coffee for copenhagen whenever I got the craving. Stupid, dumb ass idea!!! Then when I was ready to start work I bout a thing of nicotine gum and quit. All of the sudden I was very busy most of the day and didnt even hardly think about it and had the gum for the occasional times when it would get stuck in my head. I think being able to keep your mind off of it is the most important part.

Edit to add: If this stuff was harmless, Id dip for the rest of my life, I do miss it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#50]
I chewed since high school and then for about 4 years later.  Copenhagen.  Started with Skoal.  Redman, Beech nut, Levi Garret.  I never got hooked.  When I was traveling and stretching it with jet lag and driving too much, I bought a bag or two to keep me going.  Never hooked.  I haven't had a chew in 10 years.  I could get a bag tomorrow and have a few chews and go another 10.  I don't know how people get hooked on that stuff.  I used to buy Cope by the tube.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top