Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2004 11:44:43 AM EDT
I was a proud citizen and did my duty.  Fortunately it was a criminal case (I'm sure a civil would've put me to sleep)--not that it was that exciting (Bail Jumping).  In my county, you're called for a week.  My trial was supposed to last two days at the most.  Yesterday was day one, and today (at 10:15am) the judge dismissed the case.  So now I'm all done and it didn't really mess with my work schedule too much.

It was a little anticlimatic, but it was still cool to see our legal system in action and to exercise my duty as a proud U.S. citizen.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Thank you for serving.  I see far too many people try to weasel out of doing their civic duty.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Thank you for serving.  I see far too many people try to weasel out of doing their civic duty.

And sadly, they are usually exactly the people most needed to serve - those with an investment in the community.

ETA: +1 for the thanks & congratulations.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And sadly, they are usually exactly the people most needed to serve - those with an investment in the community.

ETA: +1 for the thanks & congratulations.

That's part of the reason I didn't defer.  Since (at work) month end is kinda busy, I cleared it with my boss and went.  IMHO it's a small price to pay for the freedom I enjoy daily and I BELIEVE in our legal system.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm still waiting to get that letter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top