I didnt know any of em were there..
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:18:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Whos doing most of the fighting?

Neither

There are 2 separate 'campaigns' right now, with 2 separate enemies:

1) The original 'Insurgency', with Al Queda backup

Strongholds in the Fallujah/Ramadi area, composed of ex-Baathists and AQ reinforcements. The AQ faction are the ones responsible for the beheadings & vehicular suicide bombings, the ex-Baathists are the ones responsible for most of the other bombings (IEDs)...

3) Al Sadr

Although we won the battle for the Najaf shrine, Al Sadr's forces are still a problem in Baghdad & southern Iraq. If it happens down there, he likely did it. Speculation has it that he may get help from Iran, but that's just speculation right now.... It is very clear that he is NOT getting help from Al Queda, religeous differences make this as likely as Catholics & Lutherans taking communion/mass together...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:21:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I read something about AS paying people to fight, it said many were from Syria. Has any one seen this? I forget where I did see it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:26:08 PM EDT
[#6]
well seeing as how Syrian mercs were the majority of the resistance that 2BCT 3ID came across in the fight for baghdad, I'd say Syria is a big problem.  
Al Sadr's homies are also a major thorn in our side as well.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:41:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I think it's both. I do not think it's Iraqis fighting each other in civil war for the most part. I went to a briefing this past March in which the speaker stated that it was outside forces (ie, Syrian and Iranian) coming in who were causing the problems.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:51:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I have some buds on both the Syrian and Iranian borders and they both told me of terrorists coming in kill our boys/girls. (I was based in Baghdad but travelled all over)
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:40:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Both, with Syria being the more involved of the two.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:10:49 AM EDT
[#10]
It's drawing in fanatics from the entire region .  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:17:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Iran is fighting a 'poltical' war in southern Iraq.

Syria is the dangerous one. It wants to restore the Baath Party to power, the Baath Party is still in power in Syria. Syria also gave safe haven to Saadams cronies and provides skilled fighters and proper militray support to the insurgents in most of Iraq.

Andy
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:29:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:14:57 AM EDT
[#13]
The origin of manpower is irrelevant, the funding a little less so.

Sooner or later Allah will be running in Virgin deficit mode - then it will end.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:25:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:28:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
3) Al Sadr

Although we won the battle for the Najaf shrine, Al Sadr's forces are still a problem in Baghdad & southern Iraq. If it happens down there, he likely did it. Speculation has it that he may get help from Iran, but that's just speculation right now.....

Although Iran denies it, there is no question that Iran is providing arms and money to Al Sadr.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:17:30 AM EDT
[#16]
And the Fallujahites are armed and supplied through Syria, and they have Palistinians and Chechans to make up for a underwhelming turn out of local Iraqis

The answer is BOTH Syria and Iran are involved because NEITHER of them can stand to have a Democratic Iraq with US bases on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top