Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2004 7:26:40 PM EDT
One of my customers, an Iranian woman and I were talking about Iran and how she just came back from visiting family there. She said that the consensus of the country is that they wish that the US would do to Iran, what we did to Iraq.

At first I thought she was joking but she wasnt. Her whole family told her upon leaving... "Now remember to vote for Bush"

Cool.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:29:38 PM EDT
[#2]
That is an outright lie. Ted Kennedy and John Kerry told me otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone who knows anything about popular sentiment in Iran knows this.  The only people who believe the current Iranian government's reform element  is the best hope for gradual meaningful reform are the State Department and the Mainstream Media.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#5]
LMAO

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:31:46 PM EDT
[#6]
More than half of the population knows only the despotism of the Islamic Republic, few knew the despotism of the Shah. They see the west, and know that they could do what we have done, be what we are.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:32:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I have heard on many shows and Internet news sites, that Iran is ripe for the liberating.
The young folks there, especially want freedom, and the shahs and mullahs (?) keep them oppressed.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Most of the Iraqis feel the same way in private.  The media chooses only air the negative side.  Have they interviewed any Kurds?  NOT, they smile too much and are getting along with their lives which is boring.  Not to mention it makes GWB look too good.   The sunnis are going nuts because they are going get whats coming to them and they know it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:33:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I believe it. I had a professor in college that is Iranian that said the exact same thing.

"Fly Navy, when is the US Military going to invade Iran? It's about time already."
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I was born in Iran, and I would love for the US to do to Iran what they did to Iraq. I'm voting for bush in november and if we ever do invade, I will be the first to be at the local recruiting station requesting to be placed on the front ASAP.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I think it's on GWB's "To Do" list on his Palm Pilot.

Woody
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:39:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Liberating Iraq, which you would think the staunch human rights advocates like liberals in this country would support, will have a ripple affect throughout the middle east. Imagine seeing your neighbor enjoying freedom when you cant yet. Youd get more pissed off then you aleady were.

I hope the US doesnt have to intervene with Iran and their nuclear program but rather their people stand up and say enough is enough.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#13]
link to whole report

Sep 27, 4:26 PM (ET)

By Caren Bohan

"At an Ohio campaign event, Bush referred to his practice sessions for the debate at his Texas ranch over the weekend.

"It's been a little tough to prepare because (Kerry) keeps changing positions on the war on the terror," he joked.

"He voted for the use of force in Iraq and then didn't vote to fund the troops," Bush said. "He complained that we're not spending enough money to help in reconstruction in Iraq and now he's saying we're spending too much. He said it was the right decision to go into Iraq and now he calls it the wrong war.

"He could probably spend 90 minutes debating himself," Bush added to hoots of laughter from his supporters.

Kerry responded that with American soldiers' lives on the line in Iraq, it was no time for jokes."
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#14]
It isn't our country's responsibility to police the world.  Not that I wouldn't love seeing them free, the purpose of our armies is not to fight wars for other people.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
LMAO

Welcome, DU troll, to a website that will accept you if your ideas differ from ours if you obey the CoC.

Unlike your home.

The truth will set you free.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It isn't our country's responsibility to police the world.  Not that I wouldn't love seeing them free, the purpose of our armies is not to fight wars for other people.  

No, it isn't, but remember that the hard liners who control Iran are really stirring up shit in the world. Most of the terrorism in Iraq is courtesy of Iran and the mullahs funding it. Don't forget their nuclear program which is almost up and running.

That said, while *SOME* in Iran may want the US to overthrow their government, I believe that MOST do NOT want the US to intervene. I think if the US rolls into Iran the backlash will be quite bad. The wiser thing to do would be to wait them out (unless they really fuck up at which point it's no holds barred) and let the citizens of Iran liberate themselves. Helping the revolution along via funding and intelligence wouldn't hurt though.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#17]
It's pretty well kown that Khomani pretty much destroyed any semblance of hope for a good life in the region, not that the Shaw had been particularly benevolent. It's fairly common that many Iranian people think highly of the U.S. & want to establish friendly relations, but then there is the theocratic regime. It's past the time when we could effectively take out the current establishment. Iraq was a smaller threat than Iran, & it might have been strategically advantageous to go there 1st instead of Baghdad, but done is done.

I suspect that the handling of Iran will be similar to N. Korea - talks, talks, & more talks, followed by treaties, etc., etc., as I don't think the U.S. has a stomach for anything else & Isreal can only do so much alone. Containment is no longer an option in the Middle East. We're going to have to deal w/ them. Religious fanatacism is ripe for stupidity violations where nuclear power is concenred, but I tend to view nonproliferation treaties as I do gun control: sounds "nice" on paper, yet in reality, it's doomed to disappoint & confound its proponents w/ failure.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#18]
You did give her a discount, right?

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
You did give her a discount, right?

Did one better. Didnt charge her one damn dime.

Well, because it was covered under warranty.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Why not?
Isn't the spread of Freedom and Democracy a worthwhile goal for our Nation?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I would not be enthusiastic about my warriors rolling into Iran. I would however, be enthusiastic about an air campaign combined with special forces training of indigenous forces so that they can liberate themselves. Sort of like what the French did for us in our revolution.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:41:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Sort of like what the French did for us in our revolution.

French didnt do dick for us... It was an accident. They were running away from some other country trying to take them over and they knocked down a few Brits in the process.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:17:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Actually I do belive that most Iranians want freedom. But guess what ! It's just a guess! I don't know for certain. And you can't really trust the opinion of an iranian living in America can you? Why? They love America!! it's like asking a Cuban Exile about the mood of Cuba today. He's allready got an agenda and axe to grind. The last thing we should do is make another assumption that we will be greeted as 'liberators' again! And since there is no 'Gallup poll' calling up iranians at home it's all just speculation. And the plain fact is this also, even if they are against the Islamic regime, Most Iranians would like to see Iran go Nuclear!! National pride and all that. Plus now nobody could fuck with them, Like Pakistan.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I met a woman from Saudia Arabia and I was very surprised to hear how much she loved Bush, seeing how the media makes it appear as if the entire muslim community hates his guts.

She even quoted the Quran and said something about an Eagle purifing the holy lands or some shit.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:07:00 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

One of the most difficult things to manage in foreign affairs is trying to shape world events to your benefit.  This could range from backing regimes that are pro-US to creating pro-American governments.  Today, this also includes preemption so we hurt the bad guys before they hurt us.  

It's about doing what's best for America.  Some would say that this is arrogant and that we have no business meddling in other countries.  9/11 showed what that kind of mindset will get you.  If we don't take steps to shape the world, if we let other countries take anti-US paths, we are letting them plot and strengthen as they prepare for the next attack.

This is diplomacy, this is politics, this is the way of the world.

If we don't look out for our own interests (globally), nobody else will.  Other countries would manipulate events to the detrimment of our nation, with the goal of causing its death.

That's reality.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:35:21 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I know an Iranian who has a lot of family still in-country.  Not only would he fully support a US invasion, but so does his family, EVEN WITH THE KNOWLEDGE THAT THEY MAY BE KILLED IN THE PROCESS.  To say he's not happy with the current rulers in Iran is a monumental understatement.

-Troy

See, this is the thing that the American Pinkos like Michael Moore don't understand. They always say things like "Why didn't we go after one of the other terrorist states like Iran?"
Well, because we don't have to. Like the Shah, the current regime will collapse under it's own weight.

There's no reason for us to risk Iran popping off a nuke when it will collapse from within.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top