Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/27/2004 7:11:05 AM EDT

MULDOON - A hiker with quick reflexes fatally shot a 750 pound brown bear as it charged him from the edge of a forest 20 feet away.

"I thought it was a moose but then I saw it was too low for a moose.  I just had time to pull my pistol and spin around," Gary Boyd of Muldoon told the Anchorage Daily News.

It turns out that the bear had been guarding a moose carcass left behind by hunters in the Chugach foothills.

"I fired the first shot, and I aimed at its shoulders.  When the first shot didn't faze it, I fired the second time, and it turned into the ditch, and I shot three more times, and it went down," Mr. Boyd said.

Mr. Boyd was down to one bullet in his .44-caliber Magnum when he called Anchorage police for assistance.  State Trooper Kim Babcock helped finish off the bear with her shotgun.

"We hadn't had that bear dead within three minutes when 12 cross-country runnners from the high school came by," Trooper Babckck said.

All I have to say is, well  .
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:12:39 AM EDT
[#1]
That guy will vote for hi cap mags I bet.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:13:39 AM EDT
[#2]
BRAVO!  Well done. That took iron balls.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:15:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:21:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:23:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought the thread was titled,  "HITLER kills Alaskan Brown Bear with pistol!"
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:25:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Only needed five.  Who needs to be able to kill entire school yards full of bears with 50+ bullet bananna clips?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:26:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I thought that it was decided in the bear thread that the .44mag was a death ray that would drop a bear instantly.

No, I thought some people reckoned it was pointless to shoot a bear with a pistol as it would only annoy it, I got the impression from the last Bear thread you needed at least a .338 Lapua Mag on a bear, or better still a Barrett Light 50…
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:26:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank God he didn't have a .45 or an AR and kill the bear.
It would have ruined all our theories of the past 5 years.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:30:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Just don't tell poink, that someone killed an animal in self defense.  It might start another angry thread.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:32:27 AM EDT
[#10]
It's a crime to kill a bear in Alaska...he will goto jail.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:33:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:33:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Interesting post!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:33:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

In self defense? couldn't be. Could it?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:37:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I need to git me sum dem high cap revolver mags.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:38:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I guess filing off the front sight so it doesn't hurt so much when the bear jams it up your *ss wasn't necessary in this case, eh?

Good shoot'n, Tex!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#16]
bet he needed to change his drawers after that...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:46:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

that's funny, then why do they sell hunting licenses and tags for bear?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:53:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I thought the thread was titled,  "HITLER kills Alaskan Brown Bear with pistol!"

Beat me to it.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:55:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's funny, then why do they sell hunting licenses and tags for bear?

It's a trap silly!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:01:30 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I thought that it was decided in the bear thread that the .44mag was a death ray that would drop a bear instantly.

5 shots to down a 750lbgrizzly.  I think old .44 did pretty well.

I wonder if the guy was using Garret's Hammerhead (310 gr hardcast)???

I doubt he would have been able to unsling any long gun in time.

Had a friend get attacked by a black bear. He was carrying a 30-06 bolt gun. Only had enough time to get one shot off and it grazed the bears back.  I ran into him at the gun shop, he was buying a 44 mag handgun, because he said if he would have had a pistol he would have been able to keep shooting.  His shoulder and neck were very messed up, but he got real lucky.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:04:28 AM EDT
[#21]
I still feel my .45 wasn't even close to being enough after just seeing the huge tracks of a few different grizzly bears up thar recently.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:06:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beat me to it.

I saw it too.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, he was cleared for self-defense reasons.
5 out of 6.
Still don't think I would trust a revolver.
I'll stick with my .450 marlin.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:14:25 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Ya Sure, its perfectly legal to shoot a bear in self defense, as long as it within 50ft and charging you.  People here in Juneau freak out when they see me carrying on the trails.  They can keep their "bear pepper spray" all day long, I wont let it get that close

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:17:19 AM EDT
[#25]
If he had a 45 ACP he would have been better off just shooting himself in the melon.....
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:18:11 AM EDT
[#26]
It took 5 from a 44 magnum to wound him.  How many 9mm and 223 would he have absorbed with similar placement of the rounds? I bet that bear would have had hiker for lunch then died later slowly.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, he was cleared for self-defense reasons.
5 out of 6.
Still don't think I would trust a revolver.
I'll stick with my .450 marlin.

Yep, for the monster griz I would want. Marlin 1895GS 45/70, but I wish it had more than a 4 round tube.

And a 44 revolver for backup
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:35:24 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
It took 5 from a 44 magnum to wound him.  How many 9mm and 223 would he have absorbed with similar placement of the rounds? I bet that bear would have had hiker for lunch then died later slowly.

But the 5.56mm & 9mm were were not designed for killing big game. And the hiker didn't have a 5.56mm or a 9mm, so why biring that up?

The 5.56mm & 9mm were designed to incapaciate or kill the most dangerous predator on the Earth.
And they have been doing that quite well for decades.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:36:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I need to git me sum dem high cap revolver mags.

Semi Auto .44 Magnum
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:41:59 AM EDT
[#30]
I've go one for ya. About 4 years ago we had a black bear attack our chickens and wreck my snowmobile. Game commission set a trap for it, but it was "trap smart", and stayed away. It came back a few days later at about 2 am. We heard it attacking the chicken coupe again so my father and I went out to "intercept". My dad had his .300 Wby rifle and I had my 454 Casull revolver. When we tried to shoe him off, he turned on us. My dad took a shot with the Weatherby. It was a stomach shot. Just made him mad. By this time I was up on a hill, flanking him. He then turned and came right straight at me. Now keep in mind it was very dark where I was. Wooded area and little moonlight. I had a spot light in one hand and my Casull in the other. The battery died on the light just as I took my first shot. I missed completely. Meanwhile, he 's still coming at me. I take a second shot. That one winged him through the hip. Now he's running at me, full tilt. Life passing before me now. Remember, this revolver only holds 5 rounds, so now I only have 3 shots left. Ok, now he's about 25 feet away. He rears up on his hind legs (while running!). I take another shot, this time right at his head. Woof, he drops like a bag o bricks. Right through the corner of his left eye, and out the back of the head. We load him up in the bucket of a tractor, and go back to bed. I couldn't sleep for shit. Later in the morning we called the game comission to report the incident. Meanwhile, I gut him and find nothing but garbage and rotten food in his abdomen.  Game commish says that we were justified, so no charges. Turns out this one was tagged, and had a history of being a "nuisance" bear. In fact he had been trapped, sent more than 100 miles away and came back. Anyway, the commish says we are not allowed to keep the carcass, but we wanted to have a rug from it. He says we can let someone else buy the carcass from them, so we had a relative buy it and sell it back to us. Now we have a nice bearskin rug. A few lessons learned here. 1, batteries always die when you need them the most. 2, bears don't take kindly to being shot. 3, SHOT PLACEMENT. 4, put the right bullets for the job in the weapon.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:43:03 AM EDT
[#31]

It turns out that the bear had been guarding a moose carcass left behind by hunters in the Chugach foothills.

Well that's great....

.why the hell didn't the hunters take it with them??
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:44:32 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Well that's great....

You don't
No one takes all the viscera and bones, etc.
You take meat, rack and cape (a lot of times cape is left behind too)
Moose are too big to hump the whole thing out.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:49:28 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
They can keep their "bear pepper spray"...

Sure.... you know the bears like jalapeno-flavored hikers!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:51:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well that's great....

You don't

Ah, thanks for the clarifying that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:53:41 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well that's great....

You don't

ditto that i have the chance every year to hunt em,,but pass it up(work reasons) even a ""samll"" moose,is as big as a horse,, you try dragging one out! ,,
hell even with whitetail ,, we still toss intothe bush's what we aint gonna keep. im not gonna hump out all that extra weight ,just  so i can bag it up and dump in a trash can! did it once,,, nieghbors and other folks look at ya funny when your throwin away bags that look like ya have a body in em!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:05:25 AM EDT
[#36]
But I thought Hitler carried a little Walther not a 44 magnum.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:10:27 AM EDT
[#37]
I find it hillarious every time someone posts about an animal killed by a caliber that all the "experts" here would claim couldn't work.

It's like...
"You can't use .223 to hunt deer"
> "Here's a picture of a deer I shot with .223, dropped on the spot"
"Oh yeah? Well, uh, what are you, STUPID? You MORON!! You're like, dumb and stuff!!"
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:21:50 AM EDT
[#38]
While small rounds will kill with proper placement (I think there is at least one reliable account of an elephant being taken with a .22 to the eye) I think you need a big round to stop a charging animal of any size.

But basically all you need is a .22 and a .38
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Given the choice between 10 rounds of 40 S&W or 5 rounds of 454 Casull, I'm glad I chose the Casull. But, I would have taken anything over nothing, since I sure wasn't going to win a fistfight with a bear.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:53:09 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Well that's great....

How do you know the bear didn't kill the moose?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#42]
What is crazy is the people who come up here and purposely hunt those big grizzlies with a .44. I don't even feel comfortable around them with my .454 Casull and 350 grain hard-cast.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:39:31 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well that's great....

How do you know the bear didn't kill the moose?

Because the moose was taken legally with a bow, by two military guys!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:15:50 AM EDT
[#44]
"I don't even feel comfortable around them with my .454 Casull and 350 grain hard-cast."

I hear ya. Read my story about the black bear above. All I had were flat points.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:20:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Your title is misleading.

The man didn't kill it, the trooper killed it with a shotgun.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
If he had a 45 ACP he would have been better off just shooting himself in the melon.....

6 for the bear, 1 for the guy holding the .45

- BG
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:22:51 AM EDT
[#47]
I've seen a grizzly bear killed by one 22-250 round.

I always carried a 12 gauge with slugs in the bush but one of my friends carried a .45 long colt.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As long as you yell "It's coming right for us" you are good to go.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:41:04 AM EDT
[#49]
I would have been shaking worse than a Arab buying an airline ticket.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:53:13 AM EDT
[#50]

One map of the wilderness: $1.09

One set of hiking boots: $125

One Smith & Wesson 44mag pistol:  $675

NOT ending up as tiny specks in a bears poop:  PRICELESS

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top