Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/24/2004 7:35:08 PM EDT

I saw on the news today that alot of non-Mormon churches in Nevada are crying about the Mormon church and the NRA's efforts in protecting gun rights in there state. These churches want to make it illegal to carry inside of churches. Right now the churches must post there property if they don't want firearms on their property.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Very hard to find a liberal LDS member.
Most all are into being prepared and are very second amendment friendly.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I actually kinda like Mormons. Their religion is "out there", but the definately stand up for conservative America and family values. Besides, any group of people that is vocally pro-gun is A-OK with me!

ETA - Hell aside from piligamy and the whole "Jesus coming to visit the Indians and giving Joseph Smith some golden plates" thing, I'm not that different from most Mormons.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Not hard to figure out why mormons are pro-gun.  They need the guns to protect their wacked out religion.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#4]
That's strange, because the Mormons around here fought for the self-defense in churches ban here in SC.  They are one reason we've had a bunch of robberies in churches and in church parking lots.z
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Not hard to figure out why mormons are pro-gun.  They need the guns to protect their wacked out religion.

Well, aside from being from Utah, I'm not mormon.  But I would prefer the Mormon version of Christianity then 99% of the other Christian religions that exist.  It's pretty dam hard to go to hell according to mormon religion.  Ulike the others where if you sneeze without saying God Bless you end up in the inferno.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
ETA - Hell aside from piligamy....

That is obsolete. I believe the Mormon Church does not advocate polygamy anymore.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Leave em be. We need all the help we can get.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'm a Mormon.....Fuck you! .....Dickhead
Uh what I meant to say was that we are in the last Dispensation.  All the bad stuff in in the Bible is yet to happen.  Then Christ will come to rule the Earth for 1000 years.  This is found in the King James Version of the Bible, so it applies to everyone, not just Mormons. The Last Dispensation is referred to as the Latter Days and Our Church shall Bear His name.  ie
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm a Mormon.....Fuck you! .....Dickhead

I'm going to report this language to your home teachers!

Just kidding, you guys are OK with me!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Strike that, we used to need em. Run off the mobs that enjoyed killing the men and raping the children. Only reason we advocated poligamy in the first place was that the mobs were killing off too many of our menfolk and there werent enough men to marry all the women 1 for 1. Women had hard times getting themselves enough food. Can we say marriage of convience?

John
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I learned everything I know about the mormon religion from South Park.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

That was a great one!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was a great one!

Dum da dum dum dum
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was a great one!

Dum da dum dum dum

Elizabeth Smith - smart-smart-smart-smart-smart
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:58:51 PM EDT
[#16]
The Mormon Church or more acurately the "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" (our real name!) Has disavowed polygamy since 1893!

The ones who still practice it are excommunicated bastardizers of the main faith.

Motown, Jesus did not give Joseph Smith the Golden plates, an angel revealed where they were hidden! We just believe Jesus was sent to save the world and the people here in the Americas were part of the world weren't they, so why is it so hard to believe he didn't visit them and teach them after his resurection?

Most Mormons(LDS ones anyway) are pro conservative values!

And it shouldn't surprise anyone we are pro gun, in History we were severely oppressed by both other groups of citizens and our own government, it might interest you to find out the South was not the first large group to take up arms to defend themselves from the Federal Governments oppression, It was the Mormons!! The MORMON WARS in the late 1850's, A Guy by the name of Thomas Kane interceded and prevented a blood bath on both sides!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#17]
The whole religon just makes me laugh.  But to each their own.

Opiate

Choices always were a problem for you.
What you need is someone strong to guide you.
Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow,
what you need is someone strong to use you...
like me,
like me.

If you want to get your soul to heaven,
trust in me.
Don't judge or question.
You are broken now,
but faith can heal you.
Just do everything I tell you to do.
Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow.
Let me lay my holy hand upon you.

My God's will
becomes me.
When he speaks out,
he speaks through me.
He has needs
like I do.
We both want
to rape you.

Jesus Christ, why don't you come save my life.
Open my eyes and blind me with your light
and your lies.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:10:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Well if you wna tto get technical, Modern day Christianity is refered to as Pauline Christianity. That is after Paul...and his sole knowledge of Jesus was from a vision on the road to Damascus. Makes it sound sort of like the LDS founding to me?
As for Polygamy, until the 12th Century Polygamy was practiced in Europe, even by Christians. It was Practiced by Jews in Europe until the 14th Century. Any guy that can handle two women....well more power to him.
Why do people have to set standards for others to live? As long as you dont' bother me, I could care less, I have known members of the LDS. They were all good people....
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Opiate

like me,
like me.

trust in me.
Don't judge or question.
You are broken now,
but faith can heal you.

My God's will
becomes me.
When he speaks out,
he speaks through me.
He has needs
like I do.
We both want
to rape you.

and your lies.

TOOL RULES!!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:12:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Have we met ?
Awww, fuck off anyway.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have we met ?
Awww, fuck off anyway.

I know its ok to talk shit about Islam around here.  But heaven forbid someone critize mormons.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I think the mormon religion is a little wacky, but then again I find most religions a little wacky. As long as it teaches good moral fiber I believe it is good. This is where mormonism excels.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have we met ?
Awww, fuck off anyway.

I know its ok to talk shit about Islam around here.  But heaven forbid someone critize mormons.

The issues with the muslim cockroaches are well documented.
What are your problems with Mormons ?
What have they ever done to you or anyone else in the name of their religion ?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Opiate

like me,
like me.

trust in me.
Don't judge or question.
You are broken now,
but faith can heal you.

My God's will
becomes me.
When he speaks out,
he speaks through me.
He has needs
like I do.
We both want
to rape you.

and your lies.

You can apply that to every religion.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Hmm...seems when anyone makes comments about catholics the same thing happens.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:21:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have we met ?
Awww, fuck off anyway.

I havn't seen any Mormons cuttin' off people's heads lately......and I live in the most heavily Mormon state in our country.  (Founded by Mormons btw).

But I HAVE seen some muslims do it........oh say...every other day?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I dont think mormons are bad people.  They have done nothing to me in the name of their religion.  

My problem with Mormonism is how stupid the whole Joesph Smith story is.  I dont see how rational people buy into it.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#28]
oops, double post, ignore.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Good thing most people tend to leave the Lutherans alone.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

See my post on page 1 regarding Opiate
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:26:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
We just believe Jesus was sent to save the world and the people here in the Americas were part of the world weren't they, so why is it so hard to believe he didn't visit them and teach them after his resurection?

Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

This is known by Christians as the great commission. Jesus ordered his followers in Jerusalem to spread the good news of his death and resurection through out the world.

Also, Jesus states twice in John 14 that he was going to the father:

John 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if [it were] not [so], I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

John 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come [again] unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

Finally, Jesus warned us of false teachers and false messiahs:

Matthew 24:11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many

Matthew 24:23-26 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here [is] Christ, or there; believe [it] not. For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if [it were] possible, they shall deceive the very elect. Behold, I have told you before. Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, [he is] in the secret chambers; believe [it] not.

No offense. I really don't have any problems with Mormons. You guys are OK with me!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#32]
It is my observation that the Mormon business community resembles very closely that of what some people accuse Jews of.....

but it does'nt matter to me. My best friends are Mormon and I could care less. Family prayer rocks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
It is my observation that the Mormon business community resembles very closely that of what some people accuse Jews of.....

but it does'nt matter to me. My best friends are Mormon and I could care less. Family prayer rocks.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:31:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont think mormons are bad people.  They have done nothing to me in the name of their religion.  

My problem with Mormonism is how stupid the whole Joesph Smith story is.  I dont see how rational people buy into it.  

With ANY religion you can find arguments, people who find it stupid and can't figure out how anyone could believe it.
It's not just a Mormon thing.
My problem with anyone who gets on someones case because of their religion is why the hell do you care so much about telling them how you think their religion is wrong and sucks.
Whats the thrill for you in doing it ?  If there's nothing in it for you, why bother ?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#35]
I attend an independent Baptist church. In the congregation I would put the number of CCW on Sunday at 3-5%. Out of a thousand people that would not be the place to try to pull something off! We even have roving security that check the parking lots, nursery areas and hallways during services. All of them are chosen from the congregation due to military, police, MP, or other bad dude type qualifications. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:31:25 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have we met ?
Awww, fuck off anyway.

The Mormons aren't cutting people's heads off and posting the videos on the internet.  

How can you possibly compare LDS with Muslims?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
With ANY religion you can find arguments, people who find it stupid and can't figure out how anyone could believe it.
My problem with anyone who gets on someones case because of their religion is why the hell do you care so much about telling them how you think their religion is wrong and sucks.
Whats the thrill for you in doing it ?  If there's nothing in it for you, why bother ?

You have a good point.  It comes down to my curisioty.  

I cant live the lie.  So I find myself wondering how others live the lie in perfect bliss.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:41:20 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have a good point.  It comes down to my curisioty.  

I cant live the lie.  So I find myself wondering how others live the lie in perfect bliss.

I have no problem with that.  It's human nature to be curious, I am too, I'm a huge skeptic.
I wonder how atheists and agnostics live their lies in perfect bliss but they can do whatever they want, this is America.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can understand your feelings if you do not think the bible(old and new testaments) is true. But if you think God showed himself in old times in visions or in person to call men to be Prophets then why would he not do it again after the messed up ordeal during the middle ages and later.

Why would he not want Prophets to guide the human race today?  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:59:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Utah used to allow CCW in churches, but the LDS church's minions in the legislature - at the church's insistance - recently passed a law which gives churches the option to prohibit CCW by either posting or publishing in the paper.  The church has published an ad in all the papers saying CCW is prohibited except by its own employees.  So the leadership of the church are still protected by armed security guards, but they have advertised in the paper that the remainder of the membership and other such lesser mortals are defenseless.

Not so cool IMHO, and not exactly a church that is "KICKING BUTT FOR GUN RIGHTS!"

Mormons are almost universally conservative and generally friendly towards firearms, but there are also quite a few "put your trust in prayer" and "give peace a chance" type antis.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:26:01 PM EDT
[#41]
I discovered from conversations with a lay priest that Mormons are actually pretty mainstream and the stuff I heard was just bunk.  And they really talk the talk - when the one I knew died, the church folk visited his wife until the end of her life, even in the nursing home - and she was Episcopal.  Now that's MY kind of folk!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:29:38 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have we met ?
Awww, fuck off anyway.

when's the last time a bunch of mormons flew airplanes into buildings? did i miss some recent mormon beheadings?
sit down
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
when's the last time a bunch of mormons flew airplanes into buildings? did i miss some recent mormon beheadings?
sit down

Plenty of good muslims out there.  I know a few myself.  Yet plenty of you guys around here want to kill them all.

Compare wanting to kill a billion people to me calling Joesph Smith a fraud all you want
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#44]
The US Government declared war on the Mormon religion in the 1800s.  That's probably why they cling to their gun rights.  Maybe they are afraid they'll do it again one day.  Can you blame them?  In this politically correct world we live in today anything outside the norm is considered extreme.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:35:46 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Utah used to allow CCW in churches, but the LDS church's minions in the legislature - at the church's insistance - recently passed a law which gives churches the option to prohibit CCW by either posting or publishing in the paper.  The church has published an ad in all the papers saying CCW is prohibited except by its own employees.  So the leadership of the church are still protected by armed security guards, but they have advertised in the paper that the remainder of the membership and other such lesser mortals are defenseless.

Not so cool IMHO, and not exactly a church that is "KICKING BUTT FOR GUN RIGHTS!"

Mormons are almost universally conservative and generally friendly towards firearms, but there are also quite a few "put your trust in prayer" and unilateral disarmament-type antis.

Bingo - has me slightly perturbed!

I have taught several gun safety courses inside of LDS "houses of worship" using all varities of evil black rifles, hunting rifles, shotguns, hanguns - but now only those that are deemed authorized may carry concealed inside "houses of worship". Guess the Boy Scouts will just have to come over to the house or we will have to go to the range. Oh, ok.

Rather interesting that there is a case before the Utah Supreme Court about the University of Utah attempting to assert its "right" to restrict ccw on campus and the Utah AG attempting to uphold the right of ccw holders to carry according to the state law. Oh, ok.

Below are some interesting pieces of information that relate to the great points that Imposter made in the above referenced quote:

www.le.state.ut.us/%7Ecode/TITLE76/htm/76_0C058.htm

76-10-530.    Trespass with a firearm in a house of worship or private residence -- Notice -- Penalty.
    (1) A person, including a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm pursuant to Title 53, Chapter 5, Part 7, Concealed Weapon Act, after notice has been given as provided in Subsection (2) that firearms are prohibited, may not knowingly and intentionally:
    (a) transport a firearm into:
    (i) a house of worship; or
    (ii) a private residence; or
    (b) while in possession of a firearm, enter or remain in:
    (i) a house of worship; or
    (ii) a private residence.
    (2) Notice that firearms are prohibited may be given by:
    (a) personal communication to the actor by:
    (i) the church or organization operating the house of worship;
    (ii) the owner, lessee, or person with lawful right of possession of the private residence; or
    (iii) a person with authority to act for the person or entity in Subsections (2)(a)(i) and (ii);
    (b) posting of signs reasonably likely to come to the attention of persons entering the house of worship or private residence;
    (c) announcement, by a person with authority to act for the church or organization operating the house of worship, in a regular congregational meeting in the house of worship;
    (d) publication in a bulletin, newsletter, worship program, or similar document generally circulated or available to the members of the congregation regularly meeting in the house of worship; or
    (e) publication in a newspaper of general circulation in the county in which the house of worship is located or the church or organization operating the house of worship has its principal office in this state.
    (3) A church or organization operating a house of worship and giving notice that firearms are prohibited may:
    (a) revoke the notice, with or without supersedure, by giving further notice in any manner provided in Subsection (2); and
    (b) provide or allow exceptions to the prohibition as the church or organization considers advisable.
    (4) (a) (i) Within 30 days of giving or revoking any notice pursuant to Subsection (2)(c), (d), or (e), a church or organization operating a house of worship shall notify the division on a form and in a manner as the division shall prescribe.
    (ii) The division shall post on its website a list of the churches and organizations operating houses of worship who have given notice under Subsection (4)(a)(i).
    (b) Any notice given pursuant to Subsection (2)(c), (d), or (e) shall remain in effect until revoked or for a period of one year from the date the notice was originally given, whichever occurs first.
    (5) Nothing in this section permits an owner who has granted the lawful right of possession to a renter or lessee to restrict the renter or lessee from lawfully possessing a firearm in the residence.
    (6) A violation of this section is an infraction.

Directly from the issuing authority:

bci.utah.gov/CFP/CFPFAQ/FAQForbid.html

As a permit holder, exactly where can I carry or not carry a handgun?

The concealed firearm permit only exempts the permit holder from three laws: carrying a concealed and loaded firearm in a vehicle; carrying a concealed firearm on your person and; carrying a loaded and concealed firearm on or about school property. All other state and federal laws still apply. Such as, you may not carry a firearm in secured areas of an airport and you may not carry a firearm in secure federal buildings. These areas should always be posted. But please be aware of these restrictions in case they are not posted.

bci.utah.gov/CFP/CFPFAQ/FAQBar.html

May I carry my loaded and concealed firearm into a bar or other drinking establishment?

There is nothing in state statute that prohibits permit holders from being in a bar with a concealed firearm. However, it is illegal to be intoxicated and in possession of a firearm. The level of intoxication that is considered illegal is the same standard as when driving a car. (.08 B.A.C.)

bci.utah.gov/CFP/CFChurch.html

The following churches have notified BCI of their intent to prohibit firearms on their premises.

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  All "houses of worship" in Utah
First Presbyterian Church
  12 C Street
Salt Lake City UT 84103
Shepherd of the Mountains Lutheran Church
  4051 N Hwy 224
Park City UT 84098
St. Paul's Episcopal Church
  261 S 900 E
Salt Lake City UT 84102
Summum Church
  707 Genesee Ave
Salt Lake City, UT 84104

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have we met ?
Awww, fuck off anyway.

sit down

And I would not propose that the US military be activated to rid us of the Mormon religion. However, their Newest Testament is Looney Tunes! Take poligamy. Their church fathers liked sex. A lot of sex. Hence the harem of wives not one or two or three, but dozens including children. Sick puppies. Of course they can now change policy as needed with a prophet who can keep the heat off by modification of former bedrock doctrines.

The latest problem is with DNA. Seems there are Zero traces of Hebrew or other middle eastern DNA present in the Americas among native peoples. This coupled with the complete lack of archeological evidence for an American light skinned race pre-Columbus has BYU scholars in knots.

I live in a state with a higher per-capita population of Mormons than Utah so I know a lot of them. Get along fine. But, I just keep it business-like with them. They are earning salvation so no, they are not a threat to your life and limb. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
sit down

Plenty of good muslims out there.  I know a few myself.  

plenty sure. but there are alot of bad ones.  ones that murder women and children.  ones that are waging war on our country.  ones that behead civilians as a recruitment tool.

i ask again, when is the last time a mormon did these things?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Never

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:15:44 PM EDT
[#49]
I am just trying to figure out why anyone would want to carry in a church???

I can't remember the last time someone tried to rob me while I was at church!!!

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I am just trying to figure out why anyone would want to carry in a church???

I can't remember the last time someone tried to rob me while I was at church!!!

Don't you recall the Baptist church in the midwest ten years ago where some nut with a couple guns held the congregation hostage?

Locally a JW hall was robbed at shotgun point by two men who took jewelry, watches, wallets and any loose cash. That was right here in Boise!

We had a deranged man related to one of our members stumble in through an exterior door that is usually locked during the services into the nursery area (70+ kids under 5 in there) because someone had not let the door close all the way. He was going to take his neice out of the nursery and leave with her until our security shut him down.

Just like a public school "gun free zone" you are just asking to be a target of some loon by advertizing a pacifist place of worship. Many of our CCW are VERY good practical pistol 1911 types. Planerench out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top