Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2004 5:28:42 PM EDT
Long story short. I responded to a letter to editor where writer talked of AWB sunseting, and he kept refering to automatic weapons, not semi. Paper printed my correction to previous writers use of auto VS semi. My last sentence stated that in many parts of the country full auto weapons were still legal to own by private citizens.
I received a phone message(later talked in person) from a fellow who claims he used to be a FFL, telling me I was wrong, that it's next to impossible for an individual to purchase a full auto.He was talking about the "34" law.Says it made private ownership illegal.Says he felt by me stating that in my article I was misleading people.
After some discussion he relented and said, MAYBEE some firearms collectors MIGHT be able to get one, but only after extensive hoop jumping. And they would be few and far between.
Have I missed something in listening to some of the full auto talk on this site? Am I full of s@it or is he??
HELP
(well not so short)

Roy
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#1]
To my knowledge, the only thing in my way (in PA) is the finances to buy the damn thing.
The ATF paperwork (i think) is $200...and thats it.

My understanding is that if you live in a place that allows it, money is the only issue.
You should post (or link to this thread) in the M16 forum
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not that they are hard to buy, just hard to pay for!!

You do have to jump through a few hoops, and you have to live in the right zip code. But the biggest hurdle these days are the prices on transferrable machineguns ($12k-15K for a used M16A1, for example). I read somewhere that there are around 170,000 fully transferrable machineguns in the US. One of them is in my safe!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#3]
He's full of shit! Depending on what state you live in and if the BATFE approves you, all you need is money.

I hate shit talking motherfuckers!

HS1
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#4]
well his kinda right they are few and far and pretty damn tough for the average guy to get one.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It's not that they are hard to buy, just hard to pay for!!

You do have to jump through a few hoops, and you have to live in the right zip code. But the biggest hurdle these days are the prices on transferrable machineguns ($12k-15K for a used M16A1, for example). I read somewhere that there are around 170,000 fully transferrable machineguns in the US. One of them is in my safe!!

Where are you in PA? Looking for a range buddy? I got ammo if you got the time! (me like FA)
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#7]
If I want FA, I would just rather borrow them from my friends.  THey have plenty....
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#8]
And I have two of the Rock & Roll shooters myself.

For gus and Macro, yeah, just where do we shoot anyway?  What say we continue this in the Hometown Forum?

Or should we do some IMing?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#9]
IM sent
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#10]
If you live in a free state, such as Kentucky, buying a FA gun isn't a big deal. There really are no hoops to jump through either. If you can own a handgun you can own a machinegun. Fill out a couple of simple forms, get finger printed, drop by the sheriff's office for a signature, send it off with $200 and wait about 90+ days. Give this guy a link to Knob Creek and he should get the idea.

www.machinegunshoot.com
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:48:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
well his kinda right they are few and far and pretty damn tough for the average guy to get one.

they are not that tought to get, it just takes a long time to get approved and the prices of the machine gun other than that its not that hard

ETA arent you the airsoft guy??
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a friend who collects a lot of stuff, and lately has been buying full auto.
You can fill out the paperwork, pay the seller, but you still have to wait for the paperwork to come back
from your local law enforcement dept. and then it has to go to Washington.
The average time is 4-5 months.
Nebraska is a goofy state, we don't have concealed carry but we can own full auto.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Uzis run between 2 and 5 grand.  George at the Shooter's Depot in Corpus Christi has some ingrams for 3500.

Fully automatic weapons are perfectly legal in most states.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
He's full of shit! Depending on what state you live in and if the BATFE approves you, all you need is money.

I hate shit talking motherfuckers!

HS1

Why dont you tell us how you really feel!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#16]

I received a phone message(later talked in person) from a fellow who claims he used to be a FFL, telling me I was wrong, that it's next to impossible for an individual to purchase a full auto.

Don't you just love know it all mother-fuckers?  And remember he was an FFL, key word herewas!

I took me 10 seconds to Google "Machine guns for sale" and find out the regs.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Tell your X FFL friend that Machine Guns have NEVER BEEN ILLEGAL.

Tell him that they are not illegal for law enforcement and military.  

Tell him that they are perfectly legal so long as they are properly registered with the federal governement.  

Tell him that he has not got a clue WTF he is talking about and HE IS WRONG.  The see if the dumb som bitch would like to bet you.  

Take his money.

MGs are legal (not to mention silencers, sawed-off shotguns, destructive devices (mortars and cannons), etc...

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:14:50 PM EDT
[#18]
THE GUY IS FULL OF SHIT, WHEN I WAS A KID IN OUR LITTLE TOWN THE ONLY GUNSMITH/DEALER WE HAD SWORE MG'S WERE ILLEGAL IN MO NOW I HAVE SEVERAL AND HE STILL ARGUES THAT THEY ARE ILLEGAL EVEN AFTER I SHOW FORM 4'S. sTUPID KNOW IT ALL ASSHATS
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:17:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I wish we'd ban stupidity.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:24:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Most people just don't know the laws.   Heck, even my father doesn't believe that FA ownership is legal, and he's fairly well educated about firearms!    No point in even discussing the matter with him, either, as he probably isn't in favor of it anyway.  

If it's a crusade with you, print out the ATF's opinions and FAQs (if any) on the subject, along with highlighted text of the relevant laws.

CJ

No crusade with me, just wanted to make sure I wasn't talking out of my ass. Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it.

Roy
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:27:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Its easy enough to get in most places if you have the money.  Here I need Cash everyhting else except waiting for it is easy.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:12:49 AM EDT
[#23]
 ((shakes head))

Your friend is incorrect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top