Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/23/2004 4:24:32 PM EDT
Is it just me, or do most holsters seem to make it harder to conceal your pistol? I have several guns that are basically designed for concealed carry. I have an XD subcompact, an S&W 908S, an HK P7 and a Glock 19. If I use my IWB holsters, they are almost impossible to conceal. I ALWAYS wind up with a huge bulge that seems to scream "THIS AIN"T NO PAGER!"

Is it possible for anyone under 350 lbs to conceal one of these things without wearing a fourple-XL sweater???

The thing that really frustrates me is that I can tuck my 92FS or my full size 1911 into my waistband, and you would never know that I have a gun! But my XD, in this IWB holster? Forget it! The darn thing sticks out at least at leas 2 inches from my side, and another 2 inches above my waist line!

Does anyone else have these problems?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#1]
try a different holster. I can conceal my Glock 27 with just a size large t shirt. I am 5'11" and 190lbs. never had any problems.
They do have deap concealment holsters that bring the grip of the pistol lower and if you have the right belt/pants they bring the grip in closer to the body
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a clipdraw with my HK USPC 9mm.

It works great. Put it on safe, and with double action first shot, AND keeping your finger off the trigger until you need it, and you're good to go.

Fast draw and weightless, except for the gun.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#3]
5'9" 170lbs. Colt 1991A1 in a leather holster either in front, side, or back with just a t-shirt.  No problem.

If its a windy day, then I'll just carry the .38 snub in my pocket.

Winter = M60 in a shoulder holster.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry an XD subcompact in a Galco leather IWB holster.  You would never know i had anything.  On the side works best for me.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the same problem as you, so I usually just go holster less or wear a baggy shirt
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#6]
That's oftern a problem with the "modern" though more bulky pistols.  One of the more reliable pistols is the hardest to conceal (for example, HK USP).  I carry 1911 IWB, or a Colt Defender (essentially modified "Officer") in my pocket.  Look into Don Hume.  I have one of theirs, simple and easy to conceal.  Again 1911 is slimmer.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#7]
get a don hume iwb holster for your XD.  it works great for me!!!  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:46:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I pack a full size S&W 410...and have carried a 92F and also a 1911....I am 6'4" around 210, and never print. A sturdy belt and an IWB holster with generally long and baggy shirts...impossible to see that I am packing.

When I first started carrying concealed, I was self conscious all the time....figured it was obvious.
After a while, I got comfortable with it, and even I forget sometimes now.

A decent belt is the real key....if your weapon is secured and not moving around while you are out and about...it should stay where you put it.

At least this is my experience.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
A decent belt is the real key....if your weapon is secured and not moving around while you are out and about...it should stay where you put it.

Good point.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#10]
what kind of leather are you using?  I suggest a milt sparks versa max 2, I have several for different guns, 1077 smith, P7m8, Kimber 4 inch, HK P9s( arrived today), and even one for USP fullsize, I can hide them all quite well( at a rather fluffy 270 lbs, 6'3') the USP fullsize is a tad noticable, but the rest are as invisible as wonder woman's jet

HTH
James
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:38:09 PM EDT
[#11]
G17 in a Fobus Paddle Holster, Ray Charles. Comfier than sleeping on top of Star Jones and Oprah.

HS1
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a regular customer who doesnt seem to care that his pistol is visible to everyone even though its under his shirt. Everyday he comes in and has a ruger .22  target pistol in a long ass holster , the muzzle end of the holster even hangs below his shirt at times. He doesnt seem to mind and i seem to be the only person in the store who even notices hes carrying a gun. Seems now days with people carrying cell phones, knifes, PDA's, and all sorts of other gadgets on there belt, alot of people dont even take notice that there is actualy a firearm there.  Being in Ohio is a plus since we have CCW and open carry as well, so even if the firerm is seen it really isnt considered inducing panic if someone questions it.......
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#14]
i carry my G26 in an IWB with a medium sized tshirt no prob, and i'm 5'7" 130lbs
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:49:36 PM EDT
[#16]
The things you need to properly conceal a handgun.

#1 Good belt
#2 Good quality holster
#3 Proper clothing

I am a holster snob.  I only use Alessi.  I have just placed my first order with Bulman.  There are a few others that I would recommend.

I conceal a 5" 1911 erveryday.  In the hot NM sun.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:58:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The things you need to properly conceal a handgun.

#1 Good belt
#2 Good quality holster
#3 Proper clothing

I am a holster snob.  I only use Alessi.  I have just placed my first order with Bulman.  There are a few others that I would recommend.

I conceal a 5" 1911 erveryday.  In the hot NM sun.

I have an alessi that won't stay clipped, the holster will sometimes come out right along with the gun Nice looking holster though, I just guess the clip can't lock properly on a thick belt and work type pants.

Bummer.  I have never used, or trusted, a clip holster.  But some people like them.

I also don't do IWB.  I am an OWB guy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#20]
i carry an XD subcompact and i'm 5'10" 160lbs.
i use a Comptac C-Tac
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#21]
S&W 642 in Jerry Ahern pocket holster. Speedloader or speed strip in opposite pocket. It's comfortable, doesn't print, and the holster stays in my pocket when I draw it. I started carrying it as a backup/off duty gun when I was a LEO and it worked out well. Good surprise factor too because nobody (including my coworkers) expected me to be carrying a backup in my front pocket.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I use a Galco Concealeable
here in hot-as-balls Florida.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I use a pro undercover Comp tac and oftentimes a backup with their centerline which hides real nice.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Wilderness Instructors Belt
Comp-Tac Kydex Paddle for the USP45F
Loose fitting shirt
I'm 5'-6" and 165lbs and have no problem
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:26:23 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm 5'7 and just over 200# (I'm eating less now, honest)

I carry a G23 in an OWB Galco holster (I can never remember the model number  - it's a belt slide with a screw for adjusting the holster tightness).

I wear loud (and a few not-so-loud) Hawaiian shirts unbuttoned and untucked, and NO ONE knows it's there.   In summer, they make sense.  In winter, it's a statement of desire or defiance.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:37:06 AM EDT
[#26]
I conceal a Compact 1911 in a OWB holster on my side under a T-Shirt. Just a large T-shirt the regular size I always hear. I am 5' 8" weight in at 168 pounds.

Wear Dark colors!

Good Belt and holster that wont move.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:40:47 AM EDT
[#27]
I carry a Ruger P94 .40 and I just tuck it inside the wasteband as well with no holster
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:49:22 AM EDT
[#28]
small .357 revolver with $6 uncle mike inside wast band holster.
Wear baggy t-shirt with it on front or rear right side.

I wish it were cold here in PHX, AZ more often as I have a perfect shoulder rig I never wear.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:50:58 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Good gun belt makes a big difference. I have a kydex holster by FIST that is VERY thin. o  o  o

Another vote for FIST here.  The Leather IWB I had for my Kahr added about 3/8 inch to the width.  The "Ultra Thin Kydex" add what seems to be nothing.  Kydex has hard edges but the holster is well designed.  The K8 is the First confy IWB I've ever used.  cgj

ETA:  That Comp-tac stuff sure looks good though.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:16:46 AM EDT
[#30]
I carry a G26 in a Sidearmorer IWB holster and I have no problems even in the summer with a tee shirt and shorts.  When I first started carrying, I felt like I had a huge bulge where the gun was and that it was screaming "look here it's a gun!!".  Now, I don't even realize that it is there.  I really think a slight bulge is only noticable to the person wearing it and possible other CCW'ers who may be trained to look.  The average person does'nt look or just assumes it is a cell phone, pager, or whatever else.  

Also like several others have said, a good belt is as important as the holster.  The rig needs to stay in place.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:19:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Ok, since it seems a good belt is key, how about some examples of good belts? I am in the market for one. Oh, I like my Accumold slide holster.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:37:40 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm currently carrying a Kel-Tec P11 in a cheapie Uncle Mike's IWB clipped just outside of the front belt loop of my jeans. It's pretty much invisible as long as the shirt hangs at least 4 inches or so over.

Belt is a Bianchi "Garrison Belt". It seems to be exactly the right width for most holster clips, and it even keeps my pants up noticeably better then skinny little belts.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:41:24 AM EDT
[#33]
S&W 642ti Airlite, tucked into the front of the waistband. I wear a thick leather belt, keeps it snug. I'm 5 "10, 160 lbs, and don't wear baggy clothes. I prefer no holster for CCW, which is why I don't carry my G26...wife stole it! 1911's I can conceal pretty well, anything thicker and it starts to get hard. I'd like to get an XD compact, because the grip safety offers a safer carry option than the Glock with no holster.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:55:56 AM EDT
[#34]
I bought a pair of Blackie Collins Toters for concealed carry.  Best move I ever made.  I can easily carry either my full size 1911 or HK USP 40.
In fact I 'm so satisified, that $$alty as they are, I'm going to order a second pair.  For anyone not comfortable with a conventional holster, I strongly reccomend you give these a look.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:57:46 AM EDT
[#35]
A 1 1/2 inch standard gunbelt from Dillon.  The 1 3/4 just looks too much like a gunbelt and doesn't fit lots of pants.  The Dillon's a fine belt but plenty of folks build good ones.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:05:22 AM EDT
[#36]
I have several OWB and IWB.  I pack a xd-40 service in a Galco Skyops.  You should be able to hide your XD sub.  I will say this, I can hide my 1911 Commander or Gov easier than my XD.  I carry my Commander in a Galco NSA II and you would never be able to tell.  

Part of it is where you wear it.  I usually like somewhere around the 4 o'clock position.  That way the butt of the grip lays up in the crook of your back.  I will say that with my XD I have a bulge right above my right hip pocket with some of my pants.  But 99% of the population would not ever notice it.  The time you have to watch is when you bend over to pick something up.  Bend at your knees not your middle.

I second everyone who said get a good belt.  I know I don't have a lot of money to throw around right now, but a good belt is on of the best investments you can make.  Not only will it help you hide your weapon, it will be more comfortable to you, and, God forbid, if you ever have to use it you don't want your holster floppin around getting hung up in your pants and shirt when you try to draw.  

I have a couple of Galco's, I am wearing a 1.25 right now.  I want to get one of the contoured ones.  This 1.25 has more helft to it than any regular 1.5 or 1.75 belt.

Everyone is built different, you have to find what works for you.  Take some time to experiment.  And don't worry too much, even if someone sees a bulge and thinks it is a pistol, the next thought is... he is a cop.  Keep cool and don't figit with it.

They should really spend more time on this subject in CCW classes.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:09:05 AM EDT
[#37]
I carry a Kimber 4" in a wild Bill holster.  You can not see it under a t shirt.  The belt is the key.  I got one of his double thickness belts.  After you break it in, they are great.  Your holster will not slip.  
There is a guy down here in Rosenburg that makes double thickness horsehide belts.  I am going to get myself one of them.   Another great holster maker is Kramer.  I picked up a Kramer off ebay, and it fits my P14 great.  I can conceal it  under a t shirt no problem.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:35:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Another vote for the Milt Sparks Versa Max II.  Simply the best holster made.  I have always had problems with concealing my G30 and my full size Kimber.  After i finally broke down and bought the versa max II holsters i have never had a problem.  Now i just need to save for a good belt.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:05:19 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
get a don hume iwb holster for your XD.  it works great for me!!!  

YUP! my XD carries Hella good in my Don Hume iwb the Fobus roto paddle is less than desireable and shows WAY WAY to much!the other option would be a Galco but that would require a belt carries higher and I want the draw on it to begin with go Don Hume..nice product,built to last.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:40:44 AM EDT
[#40]
This is what I use...  No pokey outty here.  And very comfortable too!

Brommeland Max-Con V
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#41]
I carry my XD Subcompact in a Blade tech UCH(IWB holster). I am able to conceal in Business casual easy enough (Shirt/ Tie, Slacks). Even easier with the untucked tee-shirt.

For the record I am 6ft 2in and 230 so YMMV
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
G17 in a Fobus Paddle Holster, Ray Charles. Comfier than sleeping on top of Star Jones and Oprah.

HS1

I just hope it smells better.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Question for the CCW gurus in the thread since I am still getting used to CCW:  My 1911 is about 1.1" wide, my double stack is 1.3" wide.  Does the extra 0.2" really make a difference?  I almost view this the same as I view the full-size vs compact question.  Does 1/2" slide length really matter if you are carrying correctly?  1/2 handle length, probably more so.  Still it would seem that mostly it's a good holster/belt combo, wearing correctly, and practice walking, standing, etc normally.  CCW guru opinions?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:42:35 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Question for the CCW gurus in the thread since I am still getting used to CCW:  My 1911 is about 1.1" wide, my double stack is 1.3" wide.  Does the extra 0.2" really make a difference?  I almost view this the same as I view the full-size vs compact question.  Does 1/2" slide length really matter if you are carrying correctly?  1/2 handle length, probably more so.  Still it would seem that mostly it's a good holster/belt combo, wearing correctly, and practice walking, standing, etc normally.  CCW guru opinions?

I'm not sure if the extra thikness makes a difference yet...  But when my co-worker gets his Max-Con V for his H&K USP Compact I'm going to try it out to see.  I don't think it should make much difference as long as your pants don't start out too tight.

Kent
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:30:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Good gun belt makes a big difference. I have a kydex holster by FIST that is VERY thin. o  o  o

Another vote for FIST here.  The Leather IWB I had for my Kahr added about 3/8 inch to the width.  The "Ultra Thin Kydex" add what seems to be nothing.  Kydex has hard edges but the holster is well designed.  The K8 is the First confy IWB I've ever used.  cgj

ETA:  That Comp-tac stuff sure looks good though.

+1 for FIST...Best of the mid-price holsters.  And They'll make kydex for the hard to fit/odd/rare guns too.  Just ask for what you want.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:59:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Don Hume IWB  in back. G23.  Very comfy  but no tucked shirt with this.  5'11"  185.
 Thing is, you would be amazed at the number of people that  DON'T LOOK.     My bro in law wears his 1911A high on his hip with a small vest  and it's obvious as hell ... but nobody seems to notice.
I make it a point to scan  for   possibly armed people when I enter an establishment and then seat myself accordingly.

Rip
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Ok, since it seems a good belt is key, how about some examples of good belts? I am in the market for one. Oh, I like my Accumold slide holster.

ByteTheBullet  (-:

I don't have any experience with their belts, but here's a link anyways.  I do have one of their holsters, which i am happy with.

www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/product_line.html
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:19:04 PM EDT
[#50]
 I have carried a variety of guns over the years from "J" and "K" frame Smiths to different autos. I think any gun can be concealed in a good IWB holster as long as you don't have big "love handles". If your shoulders are wider than your waist and you have a quality belt and holster you should be able to conceal any single stack auto or revolver up to "K" frame no problem. It is the handle that is hard to hide. Double stack guns that have built in serrations in the grips or rubber grips that grab your shirt are the worst to hide. You always want hard, smooth grips.
 Two good holsters are the Milt Sparks Summer Special and the Kramer #2. The best affordable belt I think is the Dillon. I like Dickies t shirts because they are long and have a pocket.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top