BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2004 9:22:14 AM EDT
September 23, 2004

Tikrit Subway opening a harbinger of more fast food to come

By Karen Jowers
Times staff writer

The lineup of fast-food offerings for U.S. troops in Iraq has grown with the opening of a Subway in Tikrit on Sept. 13 — and ice cream, tacos, chicken and coffee outlets are not far behind.

Days after opening the Subway, Army and Air Force Exchange Service officials added a fourth Burger King and a third Pizza Hut, bringing the number of fast food operations in Iraq to eight.

Within a year, AAFES plans to open 50 brand-name fast food facilities throughout the Operation Iraqi Freedom area, with 19 of those on the fast track for the near future.

The timeline for opening those 19 outlets is difficult to predict, said AAFES spokesman Judd Anstey. Much depends on the coordination of logistics and distribution of food; construction and delivery of the modular restaurants; hiring and doing background checks on staff; and lining up utilities such as water and electricity.

But on the list are such familiar names as Baskin-Robbins, Taco Bell, a chicken fast-food eatery to be named later, and Green Bean Coffee, Anstey said.

All the fast-food eateries have been a big hit with the troops. In fact, the Burger King at Baghdad International Airport was one of the top-selling Burger Kings in the world after it opened last year. In the two days after its Sept. 13 opening, the “modest Subway trailer” sold $10,000 worth of sandwiches.

Only customers authorized to shop at exchanges are allowed to buy food at the restaurants.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:23:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I wonder how the ham goes over?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:27:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I just heard Bush say over 100 companies are now listed on the Iraqi stock exchange, with an average of 5 added every week.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:30:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I think they need to address security before they put up 50 new Western Explosives Training Areas.  If we don't come down with an iron fist and crush the insurgents, these places won't last long!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:52:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I wonder how the ham goes over?

About as well as the beer & unrestricted satellite TV that became legal post invasion....

Most likely, very welll...

Remember my comments about the average Muslim being about as devout as the average Christian back here? Well Iraq so far is a general proof of it... Plenty of them are willing to ignore their religeon's stricter dictates now that the ability to do so is available...
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:58:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Does this mean all the suicide vans will all have those goddamned Jack in the Box antenna balls?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I happen to know that the Marines mail is being airlifted into Najaf and is backed up like a mofo because the convoys are being ambushed too often to truck it in.

So please tell me how they plan on resupplying Popeye's Chicken?

I call B.S. on  fast food being available any time soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top