User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/22/2004 5:50:31 PM EDT
Or have you watched in the last 2 days.

Poll Coming.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:51:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Episode II -- Attack of the Clones (Son picked it out).  I haven't picked up the DVD trillogy.... yet!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I love the original trilogy, but haven't seen any of the movies in at least a year. I need to sit back down and watch 'em again sometime.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I just got all 3 from Netflix.  Almost finished with my free month.  Just watched Star Wars (A New Hope)  Excellent surround sound effects.  Next is the Empire Strikes Back.  Muhahaha.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#4]
do these movies have the goofy added scenes?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Shouldn't the first choice in your poll be "A New Hope?"

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Shouldn't the first choice in your poll be "A New Hope?"

I didn't think most people would know what it was. I thought you pretty much had to be a REAL fan to think of it as anything other than Star Wars!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:06:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Where is the "Star Wars blows, LOTR was vastly superior" option?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Where is the "Star Wars blows, LOTR was vastly superior" option?

There would be no LOTR movies without Star Wars having come before them!

I love those movies too! Return of the King is my favorite!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#9]
none I refuse to buy the new dvd release since its not the Original Cut.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I havent watched any of them in a year or 3
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1  None of my money to Lucas until he does it right.  I'll just burn copies for now
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:50:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I watched A New Hope last night, and then again tonight with my 2 boys (ages 5 & 3)....

Getting ready to pop in Empire.....

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#15]

It's a...well, you know...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  None of my money to Lucas until he does it right.  I'll just burn copies for now

Keep on waiting, because it ain't going to happen.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I just bought the WS set today on the way home...

I can't wait to see how it all end up!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:56:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep on waiting, because it ain't going to happen.

I'm not really waiting.  I'm not really worried about it ever happening.  I like most everyone else can just about recite the entire 3 movie script.  I don't see the hype.  The films are rather played out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, thats gonna sting.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I love the Star Wars movies and I spent my 40$ on the Trilogy and I loved it. So crisp and clear and I even like the new scenes.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:07:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, thats gonna sting.

It's not about money.  That much is certain.  Lucas has plenty of that.  Not to mention the DVD set will come in 10 different flavors just like LOTR was.  We got the first, around Chritmas time comes another and so on and so on.  Let me reiterate, It's not about little ole me affecting Lucas's bottom line.  I will just blow money elsewhere.  And it's not to spite Lucas.  One last time.  I'm not intending to affect Lucas's bottom line.  A single person cannot do that.  He has all the money he wants.

Or were you trying to be sarcastic?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#22]

I'm watching Homicide Life on the Streets Season 5     (it came out on DVD this week too)

Oh Yeah, I'm shooting up those damn rebels in SW: Battlefront.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I can't wait to see how it all end up!

Imagine being surrounded by smelly fuzzy teddybears.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

It's not about money.  That much is certain.  Lucas has plenty of that.  Not to mention the DVD set will come in 10 different flavors just like LOTR was.  We got the first, around Chritmas time comes another and so on and so on.  Let me reiterate, It's not about little ole me affecting Lucas's bottom line.  I will just blow money elsewhere.  And it's not to spite Lucas.  One last time.  I'm not intending to affect Lucas's bottom line.  A single person cannot do that.  He has all the money he wants.

Question.  If it is not about money, which I agree with; and more about Lucas presenting the story as he wants it it to be.......  Why do you think he will release different versions later?  I would be very suprised to see him release any other versions just as I would to see Speilberg re-release E.T.  with the Feds having guns again.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#25]
WIDE SCREEN BOX SET showed up today from Amazon.com@ 41.99.

Gotta love the INTERNET.

I have fond memory's of buying a light saber when I was 8 or 9 years old.  That was when the first "Star Wars" came out.  Don't know how many times I saw it.  I have the trading cards around here somewhere.  All of my action figures were either shot with my pellet gun, burned with my homemade flame thrower(WD40 w/ red straw) or just lost.

Great times as a child!

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Question.  If it is not about money, which I agree with; and more about Lucas presenting the story as he wants it it to be.......  Why do you think he will release different versions later?  I would be very suprised to see him release any other versions just as I would to see Speilberg re-release E.T.  with the Feds having guns again.

Wait and see.  Nuff said.  Actual films may see little modification.  More extras and packaging for certain.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#27]
I think the new Starwars movies ruined liking the old ones, I dont care for the new ones much at all.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I think I am the only person on the planet that likes the new Star Wars movies.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:18:48 PM EDT
[#29]
The Wrath of Kahn

Oh, wait.....you were talking about that other, crappy, space sci-fi thing...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, thats gonna sting.

Or were you trying to be sarcastic?

Yea, it was sarcasm.

I didn't like the changes either but the way I see it I have to put up with a total of about 10 minutes of goofiness to get my favorite movies in an awesome format. Better sound and video than ever before (and DVDs don't wear out). Overall it still seems worth it. I just try not to make mountains out of molehills.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Yea, it was sarcasm.

I didn't like the changes either but the way I see it I have to put up with a total of about 10 minutes of goofiness to get my favorite movies in an awesome format. Better sound and video than ever before (and DVDs don't wear out). Overall it still seems worth it. I just try not to make mountains out of molehills.

I will admit I was impressed with some of the new edits on the VHS when it came out, which Yes I did go buy  My favorite is the X-Wings in formation.  Much better fighters in movement, animation in cockpits.  But an element of coolness is lost in the all digital 1, 2, and soon to be 3rd or 6th release.  Models are cooller for some reason.  
I just don't have the interest I used to in the films.  Which I think has something to do woth Phantom and clones.  Bad storytelling.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I can watch episode 4 over and over but the rest I am only "Luke" warm in my enjoyment of them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:31:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Lucas needs to drug out in the street and killed for meddling with the movies. The special editions were bad enough, but these have more added BS in them. Lucas what the hell is the matter with you? I have a friend who is dropping the original trilogy off of laser disc to DVD with all of the pure un-PC BS added. All the original violece and the original Greedo scene.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:33:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Lucas needs to drug out in the street and killed for meddling with the movies. The special editions were bad enough, but these have more added BS in them. Lucas what the hell is the matter with you? I have a friend who is dropping the original trilogy off of laser disc to DVD with all of the pure un-PC BS added. All the original violece and the original Greedo scene.

I really don't get the Greedo scene.  That wasn't graphic.  Shit it was a model!  
Libs and Anti's really are wired different...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#35]
None right now. But im a major fan. if you love the movies you should read some of the books. There are many good books that continue the story LONG after 'Return of the Jedi'. I cant wait til all six are out together.

Also Starwars.com has some very interesting information about the movies as well as a data base on all characters, actors and various technologies and machinery in the starwars universe.

Btw what do you mean by not original cut? are there new scenes that werent there before?

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#36]
I bought the DVD set, but havent gotten to watch because I have been too busy playing Battlefront.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
None right now. But im a major fan.
Btw what do you mean by not original cut? are there new scenes that werent there before?

You're a major fan?  They "enchanced" some scenes.  Some good, some bad...depends on how you look at it. Either way,  different from originals

edit: I like the books also
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:48:18 PM EDT
[#38]
No not the greedo scene..they fudged it up trying to make it PC having Greedo fire first.

I mean in the scene where they first bust into the holding jail area to save Leia...and they start shooting people. In the oldest version there is a shot were a guard gets shot in the chest and his chest catches on fire as he spins around and falls down. Lucas edited it out to make it less graphic. He did this back in the 1995 special editions. Star wars originally was pretty hardcore. Now it is softcore.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#39]
I watched A New Hope the day before yesterday.  Yesterday, I watched The Empire Strikes Back.  Tonight I will finish with Return of the Jedi.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I don't know how true it is, but I heard that the original cut of Star Wars is an easter egg somewhere on one of the discs. I don't know which one and I haven't looked for it myself yet.

Anyone else heard this?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:01:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Wish I wasn't stuck at work tonight and tomorrow. Watched New Hope today and want to finish the trilogy.
Nothing will beat the day we made our ADD friend sit and watch all three LOTR in a row.
Oh and the Band of Brothers marathon.
Damn it we are dorks
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know how true it is, but I heard that the original cut of Star Wars is an easter egg somewhere on one of the discs. I don't know which one and I haven't looked for it myself yet.

Anyone else heard this?

I don't see how that can be true.  There's just not enough room on a DVD for 2 full length movies like Star Wars.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:51:42 PM EDT
[#43]
The official movie-studio title of the 1977 movie is "Star Wars," not "A New Hope."

I just watched part of ESB (1980 edition) tonight. I finally came around and realized it is the best of the three. (I used to like ROTJ more).
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:19:54 AM EDT
[#44]
SPOILER BELOW -- Don't read if you haven't seen the new releases
I just finished watching Return of the Jedi.  Man, did they change and add a lot of stuff.  Especially the ending.  The music is different.  The actor playing Anakin Skywalker is different.  Plus, the celebration at the end includes a bunch of other worlds beside Endor.  I didn't like the new song and performance in the Jabba the Hut scene.  Maybe if I hadn't been so used to the way the old movie was, this stuff might not bother me.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:21:54 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I just watched part of ESB (1980 edition) tonight. I finally came around and realized it is the best of the three. (I used to like ROTJ more).

Same way here
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:56:30 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I like 'em, too. I think the whiners forget how poor the acting was and how cheezy the dialogue was in the first trilogy. Maybe this re-release will remind them...
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:59:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Man on Fire...... Almost bought th Star Wars last night for $38.95, but I didn't.

/Hides from maelstrom of flames coming/
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:06:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Just got done with the 2.5 hour documentary on the fourth disc, and just watched A New Hope with the commentary on.  Next Empire, then Jedi and then back to the fourth disc to watch everything else.

Most likely it will be a while till the next introspective.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:07:20 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like 'em, too. I think the whiners forget how poor the acting was and how cheezy the dialogue was in the first trilogy. Maybe this re-release will remind them...

I like them.  No complaints from me.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:36:52 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Yes... Watching the old movies again recently, it's surprising how cheesy they are in some parts. Some of R2D2's antics are almost as distracting as Jar-Jar. But here's a difference - the old movies knew when to stop - they were cheesy but not over the top. And the biggest difference - in the old movies you cared about the characters! You forget the cheesines because you really want to see what Luke/Han/Leia are going to do next... Whereas with the new movies, the characters are so "stiff" you don't care.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top