Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2004 12:59:11 PM EDT
I'm wondering how many guys are like I'm facing here.  I've learned it's much easier to ask for forgiveness but the trick is that you can only get away with so much....the wrath will fall one day.  Good thing she doesn't know guns nearly as well as you guys, so one rifle is like all the other rifles, AR, AK, etc. :D
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I agree.  I'm constantly buying new guns and trying to sneak them into the safe, but it doesn't always work.  Now and then, my wife checks out the safe, sees all the new guns, and asks why she didn't get to buy any new guns too......

(ETA - and yes, that's my wife in the avatar shooting a friend's gatling gun)
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:03:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Teach her to shoot.  Me and my husband only have one problem with our guns and that is who gets to shoot what first.  We both have a wish list of guns we would love to have so when one of us buys one we just mark it off and start saving for the next one.

Daisy
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#4]
DON"T DO IT!!!!!!!!!

I'm still paying for it....

The only thing worse than not having and AR.....

Is not being allowed to shoot it!!!!!!!!! They know this!!!

I've cleaned the damn bolt SHINY from frustration!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#5]
"Beg for permission or Ask for forgiveness?"

Nonsense either way.
Her money, My Money, and OUR money. I do what the fuck I want with MY Money.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't ask, don't tell.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:09:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't ask.  Don't tell.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
DON"T DO IT!!!!!!!!!

I'm still paying for it....

The only thing worse than not having and AR.....

Is not being allowed to shoot it!!!!!!!!! They know this!!!

You should also teach your wives to clean and work on them too.  If she shoots it, she cleans it.  After Knob Creek me and my husband sit down and clean each and every one of our guns together.  That way we also have time to talk about what we are going to get next.Daisy
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#9]
In true Arfcom fashion...

GET BOTH!

Get permission to buy one...

...then get forgiveness for having bought 5 instead!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:13:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I find it's much easier to ask for forgiveness.

They never remember the clothes, the shoes, the fabric, the craft supplies, etc, etc, etc, that they just had to have right that moment or how fast it adds up.

They never forget the gun purchases that you promised would be your last (for awhile) so why beg? It all comes out in the wash when the checkbook statement arrives in the mail anyway.

Oh, that reminds me. Have to stop at the Credit Union on my way home tonight and withdraw some cash. Got a boomer to pick up that's been on lay away far too long!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:15:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Nonsense either way.

+1
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I have my money, she has hers and we have a house account. I can buy whatever the hell I want with my money and she can buy whatever she wants.

Works out great. I'm just fuggin tired of lending her money all the time and never getting it back

Oh, been married 15 years.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Is that some metaphor for masturbation?   'cause I thought I'd heard them all.

I "begged for forgiveness" Twice. And won't do it again. I now use money I make freelancing as a graphic designer for it. Works great.

Reminds me, I need to get more freelance biz!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm not married so I can say this - DON'T BE A PUSSY!! Open up a secret gun fund like all my married friends and buy whatever the hell you want , when you want.  Also, never, never give her the combination to the gun safe.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The worst she can do is take half your shit and leave you.

No, she can take all of it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I do both.

SHe figures that I am an adult, and should know whether or not I should be spending the money.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I do a little of both.  

Big-ticket items need clearance.

Ammo, mags, and smaller items slip by unnoticed.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Neither.....it's none of her business. That is, of course , as long as the bills are paid and you've got the extra money to spend.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#22]
"This old rifle?  I've had this one for years."
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:44:06 PM EDT
[#23]
its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:44:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Learn these phrases:

"I put it together from old parts I had lying around..."

"I traded for it..."

"I sold one of my old guns, bought these TWO, and made a profit!"
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:50:33 PM EDT
[#25]
heheh, the "old parts put together" and "trading" thing works, and she usually can't tell the difference.  The key is to expose the stuff to her slowly, and indiscretely so it can be overlooked.  Apparently some of you guys aren't hitched so you have no idea what it takes to keep a marriage relationship together.  There are things to consider when  you're married and money is always an issue unless you absolutely keep finances separate, which most couples do not. Sure you can be a tough guy don't give a shit about what the other half thinks (works both ways) but the end result is a divorce in which case you might as well not get married for life.  Just think of all those divorce sales, or horror stories of wife taking/selling all your guns, it's a balancing game.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Learn these phrases:

"I put it together from old parts I had lying around..."

"I traded for it..."

"I sold one of my old guns, bought these TWO, and made a profit!"

But remember - those only work if your wife isn't a shooter herself!

A wife who enthusiastically shares your hobby is usually a blessing, but can sometimes also be a curse.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Live modestly within your means, make sensible acquisitions and there is no problem. If you are in debt up to your eyeballs and then go out and buy a $1500 DSA FAL you've got a problem , especially if you've got kids that will need help going to college or don't have a dime saved up for retirement.

All things in perspective.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:20:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Nonsense either way.

Now  that's her money is her money and your money and her money is our money but that really means her money.. :-(
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#29]
If you have to ask, then you already know she is going to give you shit about it.
The question is, are her reasons justified, and, do you care?

If you dont want to piss your wife off, then either tell her up front or hide it really well.
If you dont care, then buy it and never mention one word about it.

But lets be honest, if you need to consider which is best....you probably already know the answer and just dont like it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I guess I believe in "Don't ask, don't tell".  

I have my money, she has her money and we each pay an agreed upon portion of the bills.

She doesn't care what I spend my money on as long as I take care of my responsibilities.  She says she does not like guns and doesn't want them in our house.  That said however, I also know better than to ask "they why are your Dad's rifle and shotgun and your Brother's shotgun in our attic?"  When I told her I was going to ask her Dad if I could keep his guns, she said "I don't want to know about it".

So, I have my own guns and I just don't tell her about them.  The only "gun" she knows I own is the old Crossman 600 pellet gun that belonged to my father.

M590man
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top