Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2004 12:31:36 PM EDT
It has been 10-years since I have owned a Mini-14 and I sold that one because it wasn't accurate for a damn and magazine prices were just too expensive...  Now, 10-years and many guns later I am starting to think that adding a mini-14 folder and a few 30-rd Ruger mags might be something I want to do................

This f-ing crime bill has turned me into a gun addict as I have all the guns I will ever need and I am working on building still more and yet I still see guns that I couldn't buy for 10-years becoming available again and I just want to BUY.. BUY... BUY....

Lets see...  I have three AR-15s (plus 4 80% AR-15s almost done), two AR-10s, one FAL (2 more kits waiting on receivers ordered), two AKs (Another 3 waiting to be built), an AR-47, a semi M11/9, plus two 1919a4 kits with sideplates, and a Bren Mk1 waiting for me to build....

Add to this my politically corect rifles and shotguns and four MGs and I really do have an addiction!  When you add this with the lifetime supply of magazines that I have added or that I am adding to my collection I think rational is not a word that applies anymore....

Please tell me I am not the only one out of control...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I just ordered a new AR-15.  BTW, you may still have a problem getting 30rd Ruger mags for the Mini-14.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#2]
You are not the only one who has gone nuts.

The Mini-14 mag supply is on back order.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I just ordered a new AR-15.  BTW, you may still have a problem getting 30rd Ruger mags for the Mini-14.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#3]
INSANE

bill ruger helped with the awb.  fuck'em.

mini 14s are junk.  they're the reason the "a team" never hit anyone.

if you want a cheap evil rifle, buy an ak.

for the price of a folding mini you could buy a cool upper in a caliber that you'll have to handload for 4-5yrs.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:42:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I must be the only person on earth that ever had a good Mini-14 mine shot wonderfully and was very reliable with the right mags and lubed properly
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:45:31 PM EDT
[#5]
With all the cool gadgets and toys that may come out in the near future, and you want a folding stocked mini-14?  Please put the credit card down and back away slowly because you are seriously out of control.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I must be the only person on earth that ever had a good Mini-14 mine shot wonderfully and was very reliable with the right mags and lubed properly

Did it group or did it pattern?  I had the Mini-14 Ranch rifle and with a scope the best it would do at 100-yrds was about a 3.5-4 inch group.  Most of my AR-15s will do about 1.5 MOA and some do much better...

Quoted:
With all the cool gadgets and toys that may come out in the near future, and you want a folding stocked mini-14?  Please put the credit card down and back away slowly because you are seriously out of control.

Thanks Man... I knew I would find support here!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Even an M1 Carbine is a more accurate rifle...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I just picked up 3 Thermolds the other day (Total of 7 now) in austin. $16 each. These are the best next to factory.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine grouped quite well with 70 grn loads I could put them in just under 1-3/4 inches best group ever was a 3 shot clover at 100 yards with some 70 grn seirras. It didnt shoot 55 grns all that well but I bet 62s would do ok 55s went into 2.5-3in groups which was fine for me I killed a lot of varmints and shot a lot of paper with that rifle.  It was stolen in 1997 to the best of my knowledge it was traded somewhere in Mexico for 1lb of Marijuana. I miss that rifle but I really like the Ar I have setting my lap :
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:07:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Please tell me I am not the only one out of control...

If you liked your first Mini-14 don’t listen to the gun snobs get another one.

You will hear a lot bullsh*t from a lot of people about the Mini-14… the 1st thing you need to remember is most of these people have not only never owned a Mini-14 most of them have never shot one.

The Mini-14 is an adequately accurate that is very reliable. I have owned 3 Mini-14s and in thousands of rounds NEVER had a single jam, failure to feed, ect… I still have one and will always keep it.

No Mini-14s will not shoot with the average AR-15 but neither will most other military rifles. The Mini-14 is easily more accurate that most AK clones you will ever shoot and just as reliable.

The same people that bitch about the accuracy of the Mini-14 are perfectly willing to accept pistols of average accuracy like the Glock and rifles of average or poor accuracy like AK clones.

Mini-14 are good reliable rifles and a blast to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Only if it is a "GB" Mini-14, and those were only sold to the government. If it is a GB, snatch it up before someone else does.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Hello? Is this Dr. Laura?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey I got one I will sell you.  

Folding stock
SS barrel
Bayonet lug
Birdcage flash hider

And I got some mags that go with it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Folding stock
SS barrel
Bayonet lug
Birdcage flash hider

GB or after market?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:29:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I have got a blued Mini-14 GB model that I am going to stock with a Choate folder. I have had it for years and it has never given me any problems. The only thing I would like Ruger to have done is go with a narrow front sight as I think the factory front blade is kind of thick and tends to block out targets at 100+ yards.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:57:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Folding stock
SS barrel
Bayonet lug
Birdcage flash hider

GB or after market?

Can't remember.  Will check.  I am at work right now.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Cabelas has TRUCKLOADS of mags. No worries.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:53:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I've owned a 183-series for over 20 years. Don't think I've put more than a thousand rounds thru it. In great shape.
Never had a cycling problem with it, but it's just one of those guns I just don't enjoy shooting.
Looking at getting rid of it.

EDIT: I've got a Choate folder for it, too
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Those Thermold mags are they the ones that work in both Mini-14 and Ar-15?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Cabelas has TRUCKLOADS of (SH*TY) mags. No worries.

The 20's are ok for plinking but the 30's have a tendency to fall out of the gun at the worst times.  PMI mags (20's and 30's!) work great if you can find them.

I used to have a mini-14 ranch, never malfunctioned (except with crap mags).  Maybe it was just mine but to sum up its accuracy (with scope)...
my uzi carbine is more accurate at 100 yards
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I've always wanted a factory folder in stainless but during the ban they were selling upwards of $1000 and no Mini-14 could ever be worth that.

If I could find one now for about $450-$500 I'd probably buy.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have got a blued Mini-14 GB model that I am going to stock with a Choate folder. I have had it for years and it has never given me any problems. The only thing I would like Ruger to have done is go with a narrow front sight as I think the factory front blade is kind of thick and tends to block out targets at 100+ yards.

If you haven't already, have a look at the Butler Creek folders.  They're pretty good as well.

As far as the front sight goes, consider getting a Choate flash suppressor with integral winged front sight.  Since the sight blade is protected, you can file/mill the front sight blade to suit your preferences.

I have checked the Butler Creek stocks and I think the Choate looks more comfortable to shoot. My Mini is a GB model, so it already has the flash suppressor (factory birdcage style) and I don't think it is easily removed. It also has the winged front site with an integral bayonet lug. This arrangement sits back about midway from the muzzle to the end of the forearm, so it is a little different than the standard mini or ranch rifle. I may just end up taking it to a gunsmith to do as you advise and mill or file down the front blade.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#26]
So your going to spend $400+ on a Mini-14, then another $100+ on a folding stock, and X amount for magazines and it still won't be any better than an AR-15 type.  But its your money...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:23:51 PM EDT
[#27]
A Mini-14 with good mags (Rugers or PMIs) is an amazingly reliable rifle.  If you plan on a long shooting string, grease the rifle like you would a Garand.  Oil can evaporate when the weapon gets hot, while grease will stay in place longer.

I have a 182 series Mini-14, bought used.  Unbeknownst to me, it was missing the gas port bushing.  It still functioned for 50 rounds before the piston became unseated and jammed the rifle.  After replacing the gas port bushing (which holds the piston in place) I have not had any malfunctions.  It eats Wolf .223 like candy.

CDNN has 30 and 40 round PMI mags, and with the demise of the AWB you can get formerly-LEO only Ruger 20 rounders.

The factory front sight on the Mini-14 sucks.  I replaced mine with the Eagle HK-style front sight/flash suppressor combo unit.  It made a big difference in sight picture and mostly eliminated the fireball I'd get w/o it.  I picked up a Butler Creek folder at the Valley Forge gun show last weekend and will be installing it soon.

Accuracy is not as good as an AR.  But for a ranch/truck rifle or defensive carbine, it's good enough.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Anybody got a good source for getting 20 & 30 round ruger factory mags? I have had a mini 14 for about 3 years now.  No problems what so ever with the gun.  Not that accurate but it is a truck gun for right now.   During the stupid ban, factory mags were priced $100+ each so needless to say, I went with PMI mags for the time being.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.  The 20 - 30 round mags are not shown on the Ruger website yet....

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a Ruger Mini-14, but I'd rather bbuy another AR than another Mini.

Just my POV...
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#33]
I love my Mini and I love my AR, BUT I've found loads that will choke the 3 AR's and 1 M4 I've fed them to. Then I break out the Mini and it shoots 'em w/o a problem. My AR is more accurate but that can be fixed. I like my Mini for what it is. An inexpensive, reliabe carbine. It's not my favorite but it's good.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:12:54 PM EDT
[#34]
As has been said before, they are like fucking a chubby chick or riding a scooter, both are fun but you'd never admit it to your buddies. I had a Mini-14 GB stainless folder. It was a fun bullet hose, I could never shoot it without firing from the hip and having the A-Team theme song going through my head though...

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:38:28 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a mini-14 ranch rifle, and couldn't be happier with it, yes its not as good as my Bushy, but I still enjoy shooting it.  To tell you the truth, its never  jammed, and I have a "cheap" 30 rd Triple K mag for it that I use all the time instead of the 5 rd factory mag. IT even feeds with cheap lower velocity ammo that fails to cylcle in my AR.  Maybee I have a fluke or something but I've never had any trouble with it.  I am currently looking in to buying a buttler creek stainless folder myself.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:49:39 PM EDT
[#36]
+1 on the Mini!  I am picking up one on Monday that was made in 1976 for $300.  I have always wanted one.  Its a 180 series and has the wood handguard, I have wanted one like this since I was a kid!  I have two ARs that I wouldn't trade for it but who needs an excuse to buy another gun?  I say go for it!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:51:06 PM EDT
[#37]
just get another AR--BUSHMASTER

forget the mini-14
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:34:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#39]
There's nothing wrong with the Mini-14. I don't own one anymore, but I've owned a couple of them in the past. Never had any problems, but I always used factory mags. I centered the cat that was getting into my garbage at probably 80 yards, and I was drunk and stoned at the time!Not proud of that (it was in 1991), but it should go where you point it at 100 yards. But that's just my experience.  I would get one if I were you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top