Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2004 11:49:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

The reunion Saturday is only for those who graduated from Washington High School before it opened its doors to black students in the fall of 1969.

Some black leaders say the all-white reunion is sad and painful evidence that 50 years after the U.S. Supreme Court (news - web sites) outlawed school segregation, some things have not changed all that much in this community on the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay.

"It's just as divided as it's ever been," said Leon Johnson, a black political activist who worked behind the scenes in Somerset County in 1960s. "The old folks did a good job of teaching the young ones, of teaching them the old system."

These "people" are insane!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmm, thats odd.

I grew up in WV, the highschool, middle school & grade school was 100% WHITE. no blacks, chinese, mexicans, no ethnic person of any other country at our school. So dunno why ppl get so upset, if there was no other ppl of color that year, than so what.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:00:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Just more evidence that Queeryland doesn't want me, a white male, in their state.

Good riddance. Rot in your own filth.

-LS
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:02:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Goddamnit, because they have a high-school reunion that has no black people BECAUSE NO BLACK PEOPLE GRADUATED FROM THAT HIGH-SCHOOL THAT YEAR, they're racist?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn crackers.. dey always keep'n da brothers down.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Never trust whitey
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Goddamnit, because they have a high-school reunion that has no black people BECAUSE NO BLACK PEOPLE GRADUATED FROM THAT HIGH-SCHOOL THAT YEAR, they're racist?

The way I read it, they are having a reunion not for just one year, but essentially for all of the years that were from when the school was all white.  It does appear that they are doing it in a way to specifically exclude blacks.  I support their right to do whatever they want, but it does seem like it is in not being done in a friendly way.  Why not have a reunion that includes all graduates?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:23:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:33:57 PM EDT
[#10]
To be fair, I think there are "Black-Only" high school reunions just like there are "Black-Only" proms.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:38:22 PM EDT
[#11]
High school kids segregate themselves.  Always have, always will.  Doesn't mean they don't get along if forced to interact, but socially, they're different groups.  Just the way it is.

But you'll always find someone that's upset about something.  That's also....just the way it is.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:43:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It's not for that year.  It's for all the years prior to the cutoff year of 1969.  Put in that context, yes, it could be construed as whites only.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#14]
The article is somewhat conflicted.  It says that the school opened it's doors to black students in '69.  If in fact blacks attended the school in '69 and the official cutoff for the reunion in '68 then I'd say it's race based; what other reason would there be to have the '68 cutoff.

If on the other hand there were no black students in '69 and it's simply a "before 1970" reunion then I'd say it's just a coincidence that it's the same year as integration.  I believe some districts around the country integrated earlier, and some later.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Really?  So ONLY black kids went to the school post 1968? Post 1969?

"The reunion Saturday is only for those who graduated from Washington High School before it opened its doors to black students in the fall of 1969. "

Yes.  At that school no black people attended prior to the fall of 1969.

ETA: I didn't quite read Shivan reply correctly.  The school was desegregated in 1969.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Pretty soon all these pre- '69 bigots will be in walkers and wheel-chairs or 6 ft under.  Minimum age would be around 53.

edit:  upon further thought "why would anyone want to hang around with these people, especially if they obviously don't want you?

Not that I believe that .gov should be in the school business as heavy as it is.  Teachers themselves agree and send their kids to private school in disproportionate numbers and you can't get one congressperson to send their kid to public school in Washington D.C.

www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~24781~2399249,00.html
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#18]
They jus' playa hatin' yo!

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#19]
If and when my Sanford, Maine High School class has a reunion, you will find one Black, one Puerto Rican,  and 2 Cambodians, the rest are all white.  The Black girl, I don't even remember her except she is in my year book, we had a small class of about 350 people.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:52:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#21]

NOTE: Mods, this is not an actual statement it is from a Chris Farley movie where he happens to get high and says kil whitie.  This post is not advocating the killing of any particular group of people.  It is a reference to a comedy film.

Black Sheep
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Why don't the post-69 grads have their own reunion. Freaks!

Someone always wants to complain that someone else isn't doing enough for them.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:28:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Racism certainly does still exist in America, and always will.

What no one wants to talk about is, that much of this racism lives within the BLACK community, and always will.

The black man will NEVER forgive the white man for enslaving him.

Well, not HIM, really, but his father.

Er, well, maybe not his father, but his GRANDfather.

Um, make that his GREAT grandfather, in his early childhood ... MAYBE.

Anyway, whitey, you still owe him forty acres and a mule.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:32:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The article is somewhat conflicted.  It says that the school opened it's doors to black students in '69.  If in fact blacks attended the school in '69 and the official cutoff for the reunion in '68 then I'd say it's race based; what other reason would there be to have the '68 cutoff.

If on the other hand there were no black students in '69 and it's simply a "before 1970" reunion then I'd say it's just a coincidence that it's the same year as integration.  I believe some districts around the country integrated earlier, and some later.

Really?  So ONLY black kids went to the school post 1968? Post 1969?

read the whole post.

Other than having the cutoff for integration, why would they stop at 68?

I honestly don't really care either way, as I think people have a right to hang out with whoever they want.  But I also don't think any municipal funds should be spent on it (if they are doing so now) regardless of whether they're a bunch of racists or not.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:37:08 PM EDT
[#25]
There is nothing wrong with having a 40's, 50's and 60's dance. If they want they can do a 70's, 80's and 90's dance and see who shows up.
Blacks are always looking for a way to remain "victims". (NOT ALL BLACKS)
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:40:58 PM EDT
[#26]
When my HS class has its reunions, we let anyone come....even the Protestants.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:44:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:58:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm must be missing the whole point...
B.E.T. is OK
Black Music Awards is OK
United Negro College Fund is OK.
Black Panther Party was OK
80% or so of Violent offenders currnetly serving time in Fed. Prison... ah, Wrong Thread
Seriously; we have a whole new class of "Professionally Offended" people.
But then again I only went to 1 reunion and it SUCKED, same A-holes as in HS...

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'm must be missing the whole point...
B.E.T. is OK
Black Music Awards is OK
United Negro College Fund is OK.
Black Panther Party was OK
80% or so of Violent offenders currnetly serving time in Fed. Prison...

It's OK for them to do it.  It's their idea of "equal treatment"  

-- "them" meant as those who actually want those things or programs, not as everyone with that skintone.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#31]
The largest united states terrorist organization is the naacp.they post their demands and boycott and threaten to do this or that all the time.They boycotted SC and tried to hurt the sc economy,buy staging at rest areas and telling travelers that they should not stop and spend money in this state.fuck them,sounds like terrorist to me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#32]
I hate white people.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I hate white people.

I guess the batteries on my sarcasm detector are running low...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#34]
[howard stern mode on]   kill kill kill da white man kill kill kill, death to the white devils.[/howard stern mode off]

EDITED TO ADD:
This post is not advocating the killing of any particular group of people. It is a reference to a comedy film. (this statement was stolen from ar50troll)
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Some people just look for reasons to complain about something; this is what makes them happy.

As for the cut off date being the class of 1969, that would make 2004 their 35th reunion.  This is just how reunions are held - either by 5 or 10 year denominations.  In my area, reunions are held for the 1940's together because there are not that many people from those years that attend or are even alive.  I see nothing wrong with have a reunion for graduates up until 1969.  

I live near Prince Edward county where the didn't even have public schools for years because they did not want to segregate.  They still have reunions for those years prior - all white and all black - now without a problem.  I have never heard of anyone complaining about it.  That is just the way it is now because that was the way it was at that time.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#36]
The event is privately organized and funded, there hasn't been any indications that "hate speech" will be going on there, this is not the workings of some Aryan group... so why SHOULD the government have any right to stop it? This is America... the land where you might not like what your neighbor does but as long as he isn't breaking laws... he CAN do it!

Politically correct or not, I think these individuals should be able to do whatever they want as long as they stay within the constraints of the law. Hell, for all I care they could be having a "Geriatric Dildoing Competition" as long as they don't violate any laws. Besides, as has been mentioned before, those were years in which schooling was segregated.

GRH - God's Right Hand : "Hold No Quarter. Feel No Remorse."
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Just some way for a no name to get his name in the paper.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Why doesn't the black high school have a reunion too?
Problem solved.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#39]
We only had 1 black in my class of '64 and she only went to school with us for that 1 year. She never really made a connection with the other kids. I didn't see her at the reunions. Some of the students I had known since the 3rd grade.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#40]
At the risk of sounding "Off-Color"...Nigga, Please!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#42]
All the colored people were going to school somewhere.  Why don't the whites protest about not getting to go to their reunions?  Because they don't want to, that's why.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

LOL
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:54:08 AM EDT
[#44]
In this great country of ours we still have the right of free assembly.  Nobody can tell these folks who to invite to their party, what year the cutoff for being invited it, what music to listen to, etc.  and they do not owe anyone an explanation.

They can collect money for any cause they want and give it all the white kids, green kids, black kids, or only kids that are 72/28 french/zulu blend and they do not owe anyone an explanation for it.

Is this a great country or what?  I think it is.  Let's just leave it that way.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:15:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:29:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Once again I am being opressed by the MAN!

He got his foot on my neck and is keeping me down.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:08:36 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Some people just look for reasons to complain about something; this is what makes them happy.

As for the cut off date being the class of 1969, that would make 2004 their 35th reunion.  This is just how reunions are held - either by 5 or 10 year denominations.  In my area, reunions are held for the 1940's together because there are not that many people from those years that attend or are even alive.  I see nothing wrong with have a reunion for graduates up until 1969.  

I live near Prince Edward county where the didn't even have public schools for years because they did not want to segregate.  They still have reunions for those years prior - all white and all black - now without a problem.  I have never heard of anyone complaining about it.  That is just the way it is now because that was the way it was at that time.

I remember when I was in college getting offers to come and teach in PE Cty. From what I've read here and in the article, I think the general tone of the area and the political climate on both sides would have sent me eventually to the rubber room....

If people don't want to associate with each other, we shouldn't have to force them at gunpoint to do it. I have black people in my family and we all just roll our eyes and shake our heads at things like this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top