Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/21/2004 11:32:36 PM EDT
I am not much into the music scene anymore and virtually never watch VH1 or TV for that matter.  I have heard of  her cleaning out the Grammy's but never listened to her sing.

Well, my son was watching VH1 and she was singing "Don't no why", I can say is WOW what a soulful voice.  I have not been "touched" like that since I first heard Stevie Ray Vaughn play "Little Wing", God given talent like that doesn't come around very often and unfortunately with many their star burned brightly but was short -lived.

I downloaded a few songs to make sure her voice is no fluke, I think I am going to have to buy a few cds.   I have to listen to this Angel sing,

She isn't bad on the eyes neither.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:35:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I like her, nice voice. Her arrangements are often sparse and go a long way towards highlighting her pipes, but she's still very talented.

I'd hit it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:03:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Sunrise Sunset.  

Pretty good,
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:28:48 AM EDT
[#3]
SHe came to Bethesda as part of USO to visit some of my patients. VERY NICE. Good for her to visit some of the wounded.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:49:28 AM EDT
[#4]
You all have gone soft in the head.  Go buy some Johnny Cash quick, before it's too late
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:59:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Norah is absolutely awesome.

If you ever get the chance, see her live. She's probably one of the greatest voices to come along in a very long time.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:01:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd hit it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:05:24 AM EDT
[#7]
In a fight between Nora Jones, Enya, and Mike Ditka...who would win?

My wife listens to Nora Jones all the time.  I feel like we live with the girl.  I'll walk into the kitchen and Nora will be on the stereo.  I'll ask "who's that on the stereo?" she'll say "Nora Jones, she's awesome" I'll say..."Cool, I'll be in the workshop."

If I want to listen a talented vocalist, I'll throw on some Aerosmith.

I don't really belong in the thread I know, just having some fun.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:06:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I really like her and I don't really like music anymore.  She seems to sing to the soul or something like that.  Her politics are shady but as long as I don't have to listen to them and I  can just look at her and listen to her sing she is the best I have found.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:07:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Talented vocalist? Steven Tyler?

You must be kidding.

The man who brough the unforgettable lyric, "Girl before I met you, well I was F-I-N-E fine..."??

Don't get me wrong... I totally dig Aerosmith (even though I think that 60 year old men in makeup is probably a bit much).

But putting Tyler in the same league as Norah Jones as a vocalist is not even in the realm of possibility.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:10:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You all have gone soft in the head.  Go buy some Johnny Cash quick, before it's too late

I like the "Man in Black" too, ole Johnny had God given talent.  I prefer stuff like Led Zeppelin and the Blues.  But her voice, WOW!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:23:24 AM EDT
[#11]

I opened this thread expecting to see cleavage.

WTF, over?

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:27:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You must be kidding.

The man who brough the unforgettable lyric, "Girl before I met you, well I was F-I-N-E fine..."??

Don't get me wrong... I totally dig Aerosmith (even though I think that 60 year old men in makeup is probably a bit much).

But putting Tyler in the same league as Norah Jones as a vocalist is not even in the realm of possibility.

His range is staggering, but so is his age so I'll give you that!

Maybe a good sexy pic of Nora would change my mind.  I'm a visual guy....
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:43:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must be kidding.

yea and even you can hit high notes if you grab your balls and squeeze

He and most modern vocalists don't sing.  They just screech lyrics.  Nora actually can sing in key and tries to follow a melody.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:48:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Not a huge fan, but I do like her music.

And yes, I would hit it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:38:33 AM EDT
[#15]
As I said, I think you Nora Jones junkies are soft in the head!  You probably have Clay Aiken's greatest hits too!

Buncha slackjaws!!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:18:14 AM EDT
[#16]
She's got the best voice I've ever heard on a woman. Hands down.

+1 for hitting it. She's damn fine as well, and that voice puts her way over the top.

Hokie, you'd probably want to hit it too if you saw a pic.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:24:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1 for hitting it. She's damn fine as well, and that voice puts her way over the top.

That's all I ask brother....still waiting!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:28:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Yep I like her.  The first album is very jazzy, but the new album has some countryish type songs that I really like also.

Id hit it, and then smoke a bowl with her dad!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:29:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:32:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Google 'em. Even PG-rated pics will get pulled without a BOTD "warning," and I can't edit the thread title.

Apparently a bunch of monks run this site.

Anyhow, here's an (albeit airbrushed) album cover. If this gets pulled or censored....

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:32:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.clivearrowsmith.co.uk/galleries/colour/images/NORA-JONES-web.jpg

canzoni.lycos.it/img/big_foto/nora_jones.jpg

She's no Jessica Simpson, but I've hit worse.  So yeah, I'd hit it.  But it doesn't mean I'm gonna go profess my adoration for her vocal skills on an AR15 website!

But yes, Hokie would definately hit it
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:39:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:43:00 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

To drown out that sexy image of Steven Tyler?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:43:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

She's no Jessica Simpson, but I've hit worse.  So yeah, I'd hit it.  But it doesn't mean I'm gonna go profess my adoration for her vocal skills on an AR15 website!

Talk about yourself in third person alot?  

I am going to start hearing your posts in a 'Carl Malone' style voice impersonation.

TRG

Hokie will allow this, carry on
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:52:08 AM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:55:16 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did someone say Jessica?

That's what I'M talkin' about!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:06:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Oh Hokie would so hit that!  In fact, if Nora was standing between me and Mrs. Simpson, it'd get ugly.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:46:17 AM EDT
[#28]
  Better than either of the CD's (I prefer the first) is her concert DVD.  Not only for the song's and sound of the music, but there's some tasty thong shots too.  

Quoted:
..., all I can say is WOW what a soulful voice.  I have not been "touched" like that since I first heard Stevie Ray Vaughn play "Little Wing", God given talent like that doesn't come around very often and unfortunately with many their star burned brightly but was short -lived.

I downloaded a few songs to make sure her voice is no fluke, I think I am going to have to buy a few cds.   I have to listen to this Angel sing,

But her voice, WOW!!!

All of that, x100, would describe this lady:  Eva Cassidy
Most awsome female VOICE I've ever heard.  Died at 33 while relatively unknown.  Not a Jessica babe, but she can actually Sing.  Blues, pop, standards, country, folk,...  Check her out.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I would just like to say thanks for all the pics.

They made this thread much better.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:34:39 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
  Better than either of the CD's (I prefer the first) is her concert DVD.  Not only for the song's and sound of the music, but there's some tasty thong shots too.  

Quoted:
..., all I can say is WOW what a soulful voice.  I have not been "touched" like that since I first heard Stevie Ray Vaughn play "Little Wing", God given talent like that doesn't come around very often and unfortunately with many their star burned brightly but was short -lived.

But her voice, WOW!!!

All of that, x100, would describe this lady:  Eva Cassidy
Most awsome female VOICE I've ever heard.  Died at 33 while relatively unknown.  Not a Jessica babe, but she can actually Sing.  Blues, pop, standards, country, folk,...  Check her out.

I just listened to one of Eva's songs, another one who had a God given set of pipes.  Too bad about her early death, seems to happen alot that the truly gifted - we only get to witness their genius for such a short time.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#31]
She's homely looking and her songs make me want to bash my head in with a brick. But that's just MHO.  Some of you would hit anything with a hole, heartbeat optional.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:51:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
She's homely looking and her songs make me want to bash my head in with a brick. But that's just MHO.  Some of you would hit anything with a hole, heartbeat optional.

Ditto  Just another cliche piano playing chica.  To each his own though...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:55:26 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Did someone say Jessica?

Is tuna fish, or chicken?  

(Just another excuse to get the pic up again...)
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess Jimi Hendrix is a cliche guitar player, Britney is another Patsy Cline.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Nora's daddy is Ravi Shankar.

No kidding - is that true?

Anyway, I'd lick that like a popsicle melting on a hot July afternoon ...

Nora, that is, not Ravi.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That doesn't even make sense.  Jimi stood out.  Nora does not.  and Britney is shit.  I don't even know what you mean by comparing her to Patsy Cline...and I'm glad I don't understand.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please tell me you don't think Britney has talent. If you think she can sing, I think you're tone deaf.  Her whole career was making grown men into pedaphiles.  Now that she's legal have you noticed the sinking ship?  You might have seen it, but if you think she can sing, you never would have heard it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:51:05 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did someone say Jessica?

aldo063.free.fr/26%20D%E9cembre%202003/simpson%20jessica/jessica_simpson251203.jpg

Is tuna fish, or chicken?  

(Just another excuse to get the pic up again...)

Doesn't taste like chicken.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:02:07 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nora's daddy is Ravi Shankar.

No kidding - is that true?

Anyway, I'd lick that like a popsicle melting on a hot July afternoon ...

Nora, that is, not Ravi.

True as can be.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please tell me you don't think Britney has talent. If you think she can sing, I think you're tone deaf.  Her whole career was making grown men into pedaphiles.  Now that she's legal have you noticed the sinking ship?  You might have seen it, but if you think she can sing, you never would have heard it.

I was being a smartass about Britney, all she can do is lip-sync and is not all that hot.  I personlly can't stand the bitch nor her hero Madonna.  To compare her to Patsy is like comparing C.C. Deville of Poison to Jimi Hendrix or a Stevie Ray Vaughn.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:19:18 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does that mean Britney will die in a plane crash soon?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Her 15 minutes are at 14:30 and counting.  Her disposable form of pop music is almost over.  Hang in there.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:24:27 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Her 15 minutes are at 14:30 and counting.  Her disposable form of pop music is almost over.  Hang in there.

Or OD on drugs & alcohol.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or OD on drugs & alcohol.

I would settle for that too
Semi IBTL
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
My wife listens to Nora Jones all the time.  I feel like we live with the girl.  

No, Nora Jones lives in Starbucks.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't wish for Britney to die, but I'm praying that her career does soon.  Everything about her is fake, even her performances.  Take off all that makeup and she looks like a drowned rat.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#48]
If you guys wanna hear a woman with a vocal range and true ability, dig up Mariah Carey's version of "Without You" and listen to that. Gosh damn, when that first came out back in the early-mid-90's, I was blown away by her voice. That has to be one of the most impressive vocal performances by a woman I ever heard.

Now granted, much of what she has done since has sucked. But I just thought I'd list this example. But I've never heard anything from Nora that comes close, even remotely, to comparing to the above mentioned performance. And when she did that duet with Willie Nelson, I think that sealed the deal for her in my mind anyway.

Again, I've heard and seen far worse. But I just don't see what all the hooplah is about Norah Jones. She just doesn't do that much for me, either visually or vocally. Perhaps it's just the style I don't like? Either way, as a vocalist, I'm just not blown away by her like some people are.

-CH
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#49]
I like her voice and she's got potential in the "I'd Hit It" department.  

She's a little young, though.  Give her about 10 more years, to age like a fine wine, and then I'll take another look.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#50]
If ya want music and a real singer try Julia Fordham.....trust me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top