Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 5:12:22 AM EDT
Windows XP Pro on a 3 gHz Dell Dimension 4550 Ran like a Swiss watch before the SP2 install.

Allowed the install to happen. When it was done, the computer ran like a dead slug. Took 5 minutes just to the desktop icons to load their little graphics. I did the un-install. Still a dog, it takes 5 minutes for the startup wave file to play and the system pgm bar in the lower RH corner to populate. I did a restore to a previous date, prior to the SP2 install and it made no difference. Anybody know how I can fix this?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:14:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Is the firewall still installed?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:18:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I installed SP2 on my comp, and things actually worked a little faster.

Check for spyware, unnecessary startup items/services, misconfigured network settings, etc. Even a badly fragmented disk won't slow down a machine to the degree you're describing.

If you really want to troubleshoot it, boot into safe mode. If it boots faster, go online and look for "unnecessary services" that run with XP. Some services might have gotten reactivated by the SP2 install. Boot back into normal mode, and start disabling things.

Also, take note of your free disk space.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:27:06 AM EDT
[#3]
What is your internet connection? Are you on a LAN? Have you used Adaware/Spybot Search and Destroy etc? The first time you boot with a major patch it will be slow as death, make sure that in your start-up you don't have a bunch of extra things starting that you didn't before. I think when I went to SP2 I had to go and shut off a few more things. Go to start/run/msconfig/startup tab and look, but don't shut off anything unless you know what it is! It also could be new security settings, I don't know if you can get past all of SP2 by going back to an earlier configuration... but it's a good question.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:39:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I run Adaware all the time. No network, Dialup. I run Norton AV. My dialup has the speed-up software with pop-up blocker.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:25:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Had to do a reinstallation of my operating system after SP2.  No SP2 for me at this time.  Bad bugs.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Front page news on multiple industry magazines say things like "SP2: Fixing the Fix" and "Windows Users Put on the Defensive by SP2."

Microsoft had a list of over 200 applications that SP2 was breaking (including some of their own).  In addition, SP2 installs are "inconsistent" and reports I've been seeing put it between 5-15% of installations getting corrupted in one form or another.  Some people are able to backdate their system, others aren't and are left with less funcitonality, or a reinstall of the OS.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:47:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I run Adaware all the time. No network, Dialup. I run Norton AV. My dialup has the speed-up software with pop-up blocker.

Do you still use a black and white tv too?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:58:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, AM radio
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, AM radio

AM radio is still practical especially if you use an ACCD equipped reciever which rivals FM quality.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:20:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, AM radio

AM radio...AM radio....

...oh, you mean that new portable real-time streaming audio device?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:22:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You should have a restore point that's pre-Sp2 you can roll back too.

Assuming you can log into the OS.

I can log into the OS, I did a pre-install restore but it didn't fix it.

As for dialup, I live in the country, No hope of DSL, I call them about 4 times a year. No cable either. Satellite is the only option and that's way too much $$$$$.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Ye olde standby:

Backup your data
Insert XP CD and reboot
Select NTFS and reformat
Select Install New XP OS
Then add SP-2
Then add AV
Then download the patches from MS
Install your programs and data

Between each step check to make sure the computer still works as it should

Fritz

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Ye olde standby:

Backup your data
Insert XP CD and reboot
Select NTFS and reformat
Select Install New XP OS
Then add SP-2
Then add AV
Then download the patches from MS
Install your programs and data

Between each step check to make sure the computer still works as it should

Fritz

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Our geeks down on campus told us all to forego installing SP2 until they have had a chance to debug it.  They say it is junk...for the time being anyway.

Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top