Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2004 1:33:37 AM EDT
there are about 100 wasps on a nest right below my roof outside and they are really pissing me off because last month 17 or 20 decided to sting the shit out of me ended up with 20 plus stings all over my face back and arms and i am wondering  will wasp spray kill them quick enough so they dont decide to use me as a damn pin cuchion again.I am worried because when winter comes i know they will try to get inside where itsd warm and i really dont want to find out my 18mo boy is allergic to these  damn things.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:40:26 AM EDT
[#1]
You can try this.

Or, seriously, with large nests, i've used the old hairspray/grill lighter before to great success.  

If you don't want to do the flamethrower thing, you can try a bug bomb or two on a calm day.  just push it and run for the hills.   Don't use a hose...just pisses em' off.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:41:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Get a "Kill em dead" wasp spray that shoots a long distance.  

Get them well after dark, while they are sleeping.  Make sure there isn't alot of light.  Spray the hell out of em then run like hell, into the house.  

They'll be before they hit the ground.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:45:06 AM EDT
[#3]
the real problem is they are in an extremly hard place to get unless i stand rigt under the nest.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:47:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Starting fluid works good on them for me.  With or without a lighter
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:48:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:54:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
cmjohnson's thread

i can see this know  my wife/ hunny why are there holes in the roof wtf did you do/
ugh the guys told me it was a good way to get rid of wasps dammit i would be sleeping out in the barn for years before she would let me back in
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:58:18 AM EDT
[#7]
A $3 can of Brake clean works wonders and will shoot 10+ feet .
Or you can buy a can of the stuff labeled for killing bees instantly that sells for $5-6
but if you read the active ingredients its pretty much the same as Brake Clean
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:01:01 AM EDT
[#8]
i will post an after action report this weekend if i am not in the hospital i really dont want to repeat last months miss adventure but they must die so let it be done
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:02:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Offer someone you don't like some cash to take it out with a short stick! and then videotape it..
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:05:50 AM EDT
[#10]
The jet-spray RAID stuff really works. Better than brake cleaner in that it shoots waaaay farther.

I highly recommend following the above advice and hitting them when they're inactive, either at night or in the cool of the early morning. Use a flashlight to "spot" them, spray once you turn the light off. They won't touch you.

I've had to deal with 3 very large, aggressive nests this year and haven't been nailed yet.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:14:48 AM EDT
[#11]
camcorder and large netted bag
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:18:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Use a .22 on the fuckers.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:22:35 AM EDT
[#13]
uh 12 Gauge should work
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:27:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Glass full of gasoline works. Dead before they hit the ground so you can get right up on'em. DO NOT LIGHT IT!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:54:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Use the Wasp spray that shoots a stream about 25 feet. Hit the nest and try to nail a few of them flying out. then run like hell around to the back of the house and inside. Repeat. I got about 100 of them 2 years ago using this method. First attack netted about 50, I was using a spray can in each hand. The cans are actually pretty dam accurate, I was able to hit some of them flying right at me....good luck, and wear lots of clothing in case they catch up.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:16:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Did you try calling an exterminator?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:29:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Tanerite
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:31:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Home Depot has some "industrial" stuff that works well.  Wait until after dark and until it is as cold as it will get at night.  Stuff sprays about 20 feet.  Hose the nest down as well as you can.  You should see a bunch basically "fall" out either dead or dying and incapable of flight.  

The stuff keeps killing for some time.  They SHOULD all be in the nest and that should do it.  If there are any out on patrol, they will die when they return.  

Isn't chem warfare fun?

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:37:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Salt load out of a 12 ga.  if that big maybe 2-3 rounds.  Just be sure to clean your shotgun afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:43:52 AM EDT
[#20]
labrat454:
What mod is that?

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:48:48 AM EDT
[#21]
In a pinch use WD40 - no kidding.    Use the red wand extension and hit & run tactics.  A co-worker of my wifes gave us this recommendation, and it does work.

It'll kill them very quickly, and once they start dropping, and you've got a free shot at the nest - douse it to the point of it dripping.   They won't return to it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:50:31 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Salt load out of a 12 ga.  if that big maybe 2-3 rounds.  Just be sure to clean your shotgun afterwards.

I'd think this would break the nest into pieces.  Then you'd have very pissed off survivors coming at you from multiple directions.  Not good.  I'd stick with the jet spray.  I've used it on nests with up to 20 wasps on them from less than 6 feet away, and they never got near me.  Just fell straight to the ground and died before they hit the ground.

One tip:  Spray the can for a second out into the air away from the nest first to get an idea of how it sprays.  Saved my ass one time when the can didn't reach nearly as far as I thought it would.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:55:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'd think this would break the nest into pieces.  Then you'd have very pissed off survivors coming at you from multiple directions.  Not good.  

A salt load acts like a mini claymore.  The salt rips through the nest killing the little suckers.  Tested method at our old farmhouse.  YMMV
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:01:27 AM EDT
[#24]
We had a huge nest of 100+ under the porch of our garage. The nest was over a foot in radius. We took a piece of plastic(a tarp or a garbage bag might work) and duck taped it over the nest(it was under the porch so we slowly slid it underneath and then wrapped it over the nest and quickly held it down where it wasn't taped yet on top of the porch, then we poked a small hole in the plastic and sprayed the carb cleaner inside, we aimed the extension tube right at the nest and sprayed continously also, after 10 seconds you could hear them hitting the plastic dead.  You can finish taping the plastic up and spray more in and in a day they should be all dead from just the fumes, don't breathe in when you take the plastic off though...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:18:01 AM EDT
[#25]
I've had good results with the longer range spray cans and waiting til full dark. Hit the nest good, and beat feet. Never been stung yet, this way. DON'T do this in daylight.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:18:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Its pretty easy if you're dressed for it. Last summer wasps ate thru the ceiling of my sons room. He had well over 100 new roommates. Anyway, I got dressed in my heavy winter gear, a boonie hat w/ insect net stuffed into my jacket, stove gloves pulled over my sleeves and boots. First, I stopped up the hole where they were coming in...which really irritated them. Then proceeded to kill them enmass by smashing them. It was really rather easy/fun exc for the heat. They mostly attacked my gloves or sleeves...nothing that my outter wear couldnt hanlde. I've also detroyed Hornet nests this way. BTW messing w/ Hornets isn't for the faint of heart!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:21:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Wear eye protection when shooting those aerosols.  You do not want to get that stuff on your skin, much less your eyes.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:36:33 AM EDT
[#28]
I had a nest that I took out with stuff called "SpectracidePRO" that I got at Home Depot

It's a white spray can w/ red and black lettering

Killed 'em good
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:55:57 AM EDT
[#29]
The exterminators out west use soapy water to kill the africian bees, this might work in your case.
Just get one of those plastic cups that attach to your garden hose, fill it with dish soap and spray away. No fire, no chemicals, no mess.

Tom
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:57:14 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
cmjohnson's thread

Lumpy196,
cmJohnson,
In his thread about the CQC Wasp Encounter......
....he states 53gr. FB JHP Sierra Match Kings.   The model 1400 is listed as a .224 (.22 cal) and curious to know......(I'm just starting to get into reloading)......is this a mistake/typo or will these .224's safely fire in a .223?  Sorry about the stupid question as I'm still learning....
Thanks in advance for help from anyone
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:08:32 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
cmjohnson's thread

Lumpy196,
cmJohnson,
In his thread about the CQC Wasp Encounter......
....he states 53gr. FB JHP Sierra Match Kings.   The model 1400 is listed as a .224 (.22 cal) and curious to know......(I'm just starting to get into reloading)......is this a mistake/typo or will these .224's safely fire in a .223?  Sorry about the stupid question as I'm still learning....
Thanks in advance for help from anyone

Any .223 round you buy in components will list the bullet dia as .224(at least all the .223 stuff at the local shop is listed .224
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:24:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:34:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Spray the nest with Wasp Killer then wait a little while and use a very long pole to knock down the nest.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:51:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Here's what I did.

I cleaned out our gutters this summer.  When I got to a certain area, a shitload of wasps deployed and successfully completed a strike on my noggin.  Fortunately, I'm not allergic.  The next time I ascended the ladder with a small gardener’s hook and a water hose with the nozzle set on spray.  When they came out, I just sprayed in the air and that kept them away until I could remove their nest.  I had this problem two more times as I got around to the other side of the house.  Once more with wasps and once with hornets.  My method worked there too.  For some reason we have had an extraordinary amount of hornets and wasps this year.  More than any year I can remember.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:02:17 AM EDT
[#35]
See if you can catch them at night. Get a burlap sack and a pair of clippers, wrap the sack around the nest then clip the little thread that is attached. Then you can burn it or shoot it or whatever.
Disclaimer:
I got this idea from an old timer. It may be bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:10:37 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Get a "Kill em dead" wasp spray that shoots a long distance.  

Get them well after dark, while they are sleeping.  Make sure there isn't alot of light.  Spray the hell out of em then run like hell, into the house.  

They'll be before they hit the ground.  

Colt_SBR  

+1

They will die the second it hits them. Just wear a hat and dodge them as they fall.  Or use the foaming kind that sticks on the nest for a while.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:13:33 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Tanerite

I suppose you think you were kidding!

www.unifac.com/altorfer/tannerite4.mpg
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:20:25 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tanerite

I suppose you think you were kidding!

www.unifac.com/altorfer/tannerite4.mpg

FUCKING SWEEEEET!!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#39]
well looks like operation dead mutha is gonna go down this weekend its either me or the wasps. so if i dont post again after this weekend you know what happened
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:07:25 PM EDT
[#40]
would a CO2 fire extinguisher freeze the buggers?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#41]
NUKE 'EM FROM ORBIT!  Its the only way to be sure!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
would a CO2 fire extinguisher freeze the buggers?

Forget the CO2

30 lbs of R134a
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:38:00 PM EDT
[#43]
I had a ton this year. My wife bought the Raid with the funny nozzle. It was more powerful than my garden hose.

Definitely do it at night. They will be inactive and will all be in the nest so you can kill them all
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:38:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Spray at night, use a full can or so

They will be dead within 2 days, but spray again at night to be sure, then come back and take it down...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#45]
If they were easy to reach, a shopvac works wonders. Just put the suction next to the opening. When they hit the deflector plate in the vac, they are killed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:54:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Break cleaner! They are dead before they hit the ground, No shit!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:57:35 PM EDT
[#47]
didn't you see starship troopers, they'll be back only meaner and bigger
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:28:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:29:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top