Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 12:59:15 PM EDT
and they got a woman as the command master chief, they brag about shaking down the low ranking enlisted's lockers to make sure their underware is folded right, and they say that cash is now banned on ships.

1. Is all this true?

2. If true, what the fuck is going on in the navy?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Paging SlimHazy!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
and they got a woman as the command master chief, they brag about shaking down the low ranking enlisted's lockers to make sure their underware is folded right, and they say that cash is now banned on ships.

1. Is all this true?

Cash is banned - as in not used, or as in illegal?

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:21:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#4]
They said no cash on board, all sailors have to use atm cards to purchase items and must convert all cash to the cards prior to sailing.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, at least this high-tech military now uses ATM cards instead of those MPC's (Monopoly play money) from year's past. LOL.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:33:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This master chief never inspected laundry for folds as I had better things to do. Cash is banned? What do you use to buy a soda at the geedunk store? The scuttlebutt around my coop wouldn't be good if that happened. You really don't need but a few dollars a day for geedunk and sodas, cigs if you smoke 'em. Come a liberty port and the ATM machines will empty out a few hundred thousand in the two day before dropping anchor.

Anything inside a sailor's locker is fine - except drugs and guns - and if I find gear adrift in the coop it becomes mine. An extra hour at happy hours gets it out of the lucky bag though. I'm thinking Ron's CMC was spinning a yarn.

Master Chief Paul (for another 11 days and a wake up)

Isn't Reagan the first "cashless" ship? They did away with cash on one of the carriers replacing it with debit style cards. They would also have an ATM to get cash for port visits.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:35:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh, Paul, I guess this is for you. The woman command master chief was in her coveralls, and so were all the other chiefs. Is this new that the chiefs don't do duty uniforms anymore?

The lower enlisteds were also 90% in coveralls instead of those odd looking jeans and prison shirts. That looked better, actually.

EDIT: and the ship's policemen were in cammies with LE belts. Is that to make up for not having Marines on board? We always did the shotgun duty for them, but that was on the gator boats.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
they got a woman as the command master chief,

they brag about shaking down the low ranking enlisted's lockers to make sure their underware is folded right,

and they say that cash is now banned on ships.

1. Is all this true?

CMC is CMDCM Hansen.  She was a Hull Technician (HT), like a welder/pipefitter/plumber.  1-in-7 crew are female, and the number is going up.  There are ships with >50% female crew.  

Generally as long as their stuff is inside the locker and doesn't present a health issue, no one cares how a locker is stowed.  If you want your stuff to fit in the coffin, it's gotta be organized.  If the person is in the brig or restricted to the ship for disciplinary reasons, then their entire life is regimented.  

You are more than welcome to posess cash onboard the ship.    However, the ship's store and more importantly, venting machines, only take a special debit card issued to everyone onboard.  It saves a lot of time emptying out machines.  The program is called Navy Cash and some other commands have it.  Same idea most college campuses are using.  Cash can be used as a backup if the system goes down, or to sell stuff to tourists.  

No Marine complement.  Ship's company provides all security afloat and inport.  

Coveralls are a Navy-wide afloat uniform.

I haven't seen the show yet, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#11]
The Command Master Chief of the USS Reagan is a female.
The underwear thing is bullshit, it's either PR or a cover story used when they are looking for drugs or else it's part of the fun and games with the Brig awardees..

Cash has been replaced on board the USS Reagan with ATM/debit cards.

June 30, 2004
US Navy Deploys Navy/Marine Cash, Cashless ATMs

The US Navy has announced initial deployment of Navy/Marine Cash™ on 175 Navy ships. Combining a debit card with a smart card-based electronic purse, the system uses on-board cashless ATMs to transfer funds from bank accounts to the on-card electronic purse.

Aboard ship, Cashless ATMs [automatic teller machines] are used to verify card funds, transfer funds to and from the Navy/Marine Cash™ card chip and magnetic strip, and to authenticate PINs.

Purchases are made using Point of Sale devices and vending machine card readers that access the card’s chip. Once ashore, funds can be accessed by the magnetic strip to withdraw funds from more than 900,000 ATMs worldwide and make purchases at more than 32 million merchants.

So far in 2004, 16 additional ships, including the aircraft carriers USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) and USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) have had the Navy/Marine Cash™ system installed. To date, a total of 24 ships have successfully implemented the new cashless system.

More than 25,643 active Navy/Marine Cash™ cards are currently issued, with $27 million processed since the program's inception. Over 5.7 million transactions have passed through the system in the form of transfers, vending and store purchases and ATM withdrawals.

According to Rear Admiral Justin D. McCarthy, commander, Naval Supply Systems Command, Navy/Marine Cash™ is one of the key initiatives of NAVSUP's Afloat Supply Department of the Future.

"The system is aimed at providing the convenience and ease of living cash-free to Navy, Marine and other assigned personnel aboard ship, and freeing up the disbursing and other retail offices from the often labor-intensive payment and reporting mechanisms used aboard ship," McCarthy said.

"This is a rewarding and challenging private/public venture, which provides our afloat supply operation with a robust financial cash management system," said Barbara C. Straw, director, NAVSUP's disbursing division. "The system delivers greater efficiencies, promotes flexibility and interoperability between both DoD and other government agencies, and most importantly, improves the quality of life of our Sailors and Marines in the fleet."

"Navy Cash™ provides the Navy with a great alternative to cash and coin, boosts Navy's efficiency and security, and provides a convenient tool to enhance cash management," said FMS Commissioner Richard L. Gregg.

Additional program stakeholders include the Marine Corps, Defense Financial Accounting Service, and JP Morgan Chase, a financial agent designated by the Department of the Treasury.

http://www.paymentsnews.com/2004/06/us_navy_deploys.html

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#12]

USS Reagan Command Master Chief Kathy Hansen.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#13]
it's not all that hard. College I went to has "campus cash" basically a small account access through the magnetic strip on the back of the student id. Swipe it at most stores on campus including vending machines. works just like a debit card

Quoted:

Quoted:
They said no cash on board, all sailors have to use atm cards to purchase items and must convert all cash to the cards prior to sailing.

Cool. Wonder how the vending machines are connected to the ATM accounts? I can see using it in a ship's store ... ah yes, another back in the day story to tell.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:52:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Preventive measures the Navy is finally listening to the Jr. Supply Corps Officers or at least the one who was my roomie for a while.  There is no doubt that the Reagan is going to be a showboat for a while and it's first WestPac (if they luck out and don't go straight to Camel Central) will probably be a show the flag cruise to the South and SouthWest Pacific.  

The Nickels (5 cent pieces)  in Australia, New Zealand, Cook Islands, Solomon Islands (worth about 2-5 cents US) and several other less valuable coins are the same size and shape.  We went to all of those places and for 2 years the vending machines on the ship were still getting them in instead of real quarters.  He had a shoebox literally full of the funny money.  Couldn't do a damn thing about it.  Nobody would cash them in.

OK that probably isn't the main reason, but eliminating cash solves a lot of problems.  Ask my NROTC buddy who was a disbursing officer, who had a stack of $20's disappear out of his safe one week-end in Subic. (bank wrapped about 2 feet long)
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I can see the reason for the cashless ship, but it does kinda lose something...

I still remember being in bootcamp and having the disbursing clerk come in on payday with a bag that had tens of thousands of dollars in it, accompanied by two security petty officers carrying shotguns.

Problem with that is we were in a 20 x 20 cinderblock room.   If they'd have fired those shotguns it woulda made a great big mess with the buckshot bouncing around.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#16]
This isn't M16.com, they're magazines not clips, and it's

USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76)

to all you landlubbers.  Arrrrgh!  [Today is also National Talk Like a Pirate Day]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top