Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 9:20:33 AM EDT
Do you think people in Asian cultures are getting "peace" ...."love"..... "Friendship" tattoo'd on thier arms in English?

If they are...i'd like pics.

just seems funny to me.

somone please explain.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, I got Greek...

To each there own I guess.

Sgatr15

PS  You name "Triumph" sounds British...which is gayish.  Just thought you should know...
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Well, I got Greek...

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadBioPic.asp?sAccountUnq=948

Sgatr15

PS  You name "Triumph" sounds British...which is gayish.  Just thought you should know...

it's a bike.

not gay.

or you can associate it with a dog that poops on stuff...

your pick
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:25:30 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a BRITISH bike.

I'm just saying it what I think of every time I see you name.

Not that there is anything wrong with being BRITISH...

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:26:08 AM EDT
[#4]
sgtar15,

Doesn't the fact that the Spartans were homosexuals bother you?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:26:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought the athenians were a bunch of homos. Werent the spartans pretty much barbarians?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:27:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
sgtar15,

Doesn't the fact that the Spartans were homosexuals bother you?

i love ya sarge....

i mean.......i really LOVE ya.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:33:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I can see Sarge being on those street interviews for 'Real Sex' on HBO.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Had liberty weekend at the end of Navy  bootcamp one of the guys went out and got HONOR COURAGE COMMITMENT done in Asian lettering. To each his own I guess
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Athens is always central to our appreciation of Greek history but we can be seriously mistaken if we take homosexuality to be an Athenian habit or try to explain it in purely Athenian terms. Athens became more peaceful in the 7th and 5th centuries but this was not true of the Peloponnese and similarly there may have been democratisation of culture in Athens - but not in Sparta or Macedonia. There is in fact evidence that romantic eros was seen as homosexual all over Greece. Sparta, even with its relatively free women, had homosexual relationships built into the structure of the training all young Spartan men received . In other Dorian areas also homosexuality was widely accepted. Thebes saw in the 4th century the creation of a battalion of homosexual lovers - the Sacred Band. In Crete we have evidence of ritualised abduction of younger by older men.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:38:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I knew a girl that got Princess tattooed on her arm, she was as European-American as could be, and didnt speak a word of any language from South-East Asia.  She was soooo happy the day she went to a Chinese buffet and the waitresses all said 'Princess! Princess!' and pointed to her arm.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:45:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Getting Ink is a personal choice. I don't think Asians are gettin slogans in english tattoo'd on their bodies. As far as Asian charachters and tattoing is concerned, they were doing it a very long time before we were. 1000's of years before us, tattooing was a symbol of strength in many eastern civilizations. I.E. Mauri warriors of New Zealand started what most of the public sees as "tribal" tattooing, Samurai were heavily tattooed, dragons, japanese charchters, geisha girls. demons, etc.

In the photo below, I have 2 chinese charachters tatt'd  on my wrist. they loosely translate into Carpe Diem, live for today. I find asian charachters have alot of style from an artistic standpoint.
So did the countless girls who asked "what does that mean", it was nad is a magnet.

Right under it, my wifes name in english to even out the playing field.

ATTN HALL MONITORS: PICTURED BELOW IS AN AIRSOFT GUN, YES, THE SAFETY IS OFF AND MY FINGER IS ON THE TRIGGER.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I think I'd be afraid to get a tattoo in another language.  With my luck I'd get a Chinese tattoo artist with a sense of humor who'd write "Asshat".
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#14]

I think I'd be afraid to get a tattoo in another language. With my luck I'd get a Chinese tattoo artist with a sense of humor who'd write "Asshat".

Luckily, one of my pals tat'd me,  so i knew what i was getting.

Britney Spears thought she was getting the charachter "mysterious" tat'd on her - turns out it translated into "strange".  Read in a tattoo magazine a few months ago.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I blame the cheap Asian labor.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I think I'd be afraid to get a tattoo in another language. With my luck I'd get a Chinese tattoo artist with a sense of humor who'd write "Asshat".

Luckily, one of my pals tat'd me,  so i knew what i was getting.

Britney Spears thought she was getting the charachter "mysterious" tat'd on her - turns out it translated into "strange".  Read in a tattoo magazine a few months ago.

for the mojority of people that have heard of her...Strange.. seems to be fitting.
one only has to read the credible journalist of Sun Times and the Enquierer.....

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:55:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'd take some of that strange...
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#19]

To bad she's engaged, I think you would have had a shot -

I'm usually drinking so disregard some of the crap I post.

I am going to have to steal a portion of your sig line, as it fits me all to well... I will reword it in chinese.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I like the one that reputely said," Japanese Girlfriend wanted.  Talk to me," or something like that.

Hey, the characters must have looked fierce, or trendy and cool.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

To bad she's engaged married, I think you would have had a shot -

I am going to have to steal a portion of your sig line, as it fits me all to well... I will reword it in chinese.

Fixed and up to date.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Getting Ink is a personal choice. I don't think Asians are gettin slogans in english tattoo'd on their bodies. As far as Asian charachters and tattoing is concerned, they were doing it a very long time before we were. 1000's of years before us, tattooing was a symbol of strength in many eastern civilizations. I.E. Mauri warriors of New Zealand started what most of the public sees as "tribal" tattooing, Samurai were heavily tattooed, dragons, japanese charchters, geisha girls. demons, etc.

Uhh, Europeans have been getting tattooed just as long as Asian's. The Iceman found in 1991 in the Alps was tattooed, and he was 5.300 yrs old.

The point was, why would NON-ASIATIC people get tattooed in a language and the representative culture that is foriegn to their own?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#23]
A lot of people just get them 'cause they think they look cool, or artistic, or different.  I mean why get a panther on your arm?  Do you speak picture, or speak panther?  Are you a panther?  Were you raised by and therefore culturally a panther?  It just looks cool, tough, or whatever.

They want what they want 'cause they want it: no other reason needed.

Cheers
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:03:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Uhh, Europeans have been getting tattooed just as long as Asian's. The Iceman found in 1991 in the Alps was tattooed, and he was 5.300 yrs old.

Congratulations detective, that was a good special on the history channel, dateline, etc. Triumph didnt ask about about the fucking iceman.

The point was, why would NON-ASIATIC people get tattooed in a language and the representative culture that is foriegn to their own

Well - This white boy with 2 chinese charchters tattood on his wrist answered his question with a photo and some friendly information relating to the origin of ASIATIC tatoos.

I've wasted just about enough keystrokes responding to that idiotic rant, go pick a fight somewhere else.  

Fixed and up to date.

Sorry - i didnt get my entertainment tonight email alert this morning, I need to stay up to date on my Britney Spears intel. My apologies to the board. nightstalker is correct, Britney was hitched last night.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#25]
swankforce,

Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.

Does your tattoo parlor offer firearm safety courses?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:46:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The point was, why would NON-ASIATIC people get tattooed in a language and the representative culture that is foriegn to their own?

I was trying to get the Yudansha from our Karate Dojo to go out and get tatoos with our Dojo's Flag and the Dai Nippon Butoku Kai Flag. With some Kanji about our school below it. They all pussied out and it didn't get Sensei's approval, so it never came about.

I studied Kyokushin Karate for 9 years under an American Sensei, but Kyokushin always had a lot of ties to the Yakuza and the Japanese Underworld. So it would have been fitting for the Black Belts, "Yudansha", in Kyokushin  to get tatoos. Being that in Japanese culture only lower working class and criminals get tatoos, and our art having ties to Japanese organized crime.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#27]

swankforce,

Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.

Does your tattoo parlor offer firearm safety courses?

I put a disclaimer in there...

But yes, my tattoo shop can give you a safety course, let em know you are a team member - 10% discount.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#28]
I used the old english font, even though I'm not English.

edited to add: No its not blurry in real life, thats just a shitty pic
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#29]
The other day, I was in a restaurant and our waitress was a very snotty sorority girl.  Anyway, she had a tattoo on her ankle in Kanji that said "knife".  As in "cutlery".

I smiled and asked her what her tattoo meant.  She said "endurance".  Which I then drew on my napkin.

I told her that hers said "cutlery, as in gin-su", and she got really pissed off, sniffed, and walked away.

I love pissing off sorority girls!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm going to get one done in Chinese that says "Enslave Tibet"
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

To bad she's engaged, I think you would have had a shot -

Ya bastage!  And I was fully intending to use that pic as my avatar.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I.E. Mauri warriors of New Zealand

While we are getting picky at swankforce ...that would be "Maori".

The Maori tattoo generally tells a story, mainly of family, lineage, how you provide for the tribe and sometimes battle.  All genuine Maori tattoos are unique to the person that wears them and should never be copied as it is said to harm the sole of the original wearer.  I had another done on my last visit home to NZ at Christmas and can tell you that tattoo artists there take that whole thing seriously.

To the original question, each to his own. People borrow from other cultures and always have, unfortunately these days most do it to follow the pack.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Well, I got Greek...

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadBioPic.asp?sAccountUnq=948

Sgatr15

I hate to tell ya sarge, but I believe the spelling is incorrect.
From what I have read, seen on Greek statues and from talking with a Greek born history professor, it's spelled M(omicron)L(omega)N as seen in my sig line.

As for the Spartans being homos or not, I really don't see it as an issue.
The words may be written in Greek and coined by Spartans but they are just words.  They don't reflect on Spartan culture in any way except to show their warrior spirit.
I see them as a defiant statement that is as relevant today as it was when Leonidas said it.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Congratulations detective, that was a good special on the history channel, dateline, etc. Triumph didnt ask about about the fucking iceman.

Not a detective, just better informed than you are.

The point was, why would NON-ASIATIC people get tattooed in a language and the representative culture that is foriegn to their own

Well - This white boy with 2 chinese charchters tattood on his wrist answered his question with a photo and some friendly information relating to the origin of ASIATIC tatoos.

Congratulations, you have a digital camera and you're a white boy.

I've wasted just about enough keystrokes responding to that idiotic rant, go pick a fight somewhere else.  

You certainly spent enough time getting worked up about nothing. Was'nt an idiotic rant, only CORRECT INFORMATION.

Fixed and up to date.

Sorry - i didnt get my entertainment tonight email alert this morning, I need to stay up to date on my Britney Spears intel. My apologies to the board. nightstalker is correct, Britney was hitched last night.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I hate to tell ya sarge, but I believe the spelling is incorrect.
From what I have read, seen on Greek statues and from talking with a Greek born history professor, it's spelled M(omicron)L(omega)N as seen in my sig line.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I'm going to get one done in Chinese that says "Enslave Tibet"

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Spectre is correct.

Sgtar15 your tattoo is misspelled.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top