Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2004 10:05:29 AM EDT
i didn't run for a good 2 months this summer than I started running about everyother day 2-3 miles.

Before the summer I was running alot like 3-4 miles 4 times a week.

the pain is in my left shin only about 1ft up from my ankle on the left side.

It starts out hurting for the first mile then after that it feels fine, until the next day were a kinda dull pain starts up.

I bought new shoes cause I suspected my old ones were crap.

Should I try running on a cushioned track? Should I keep running? and do you guys think these are shin splints??
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#1]
shin splints suck. before you run, stretch your shins. get someone to stand on the top of your feet with their heels, then pull up with your toes. ice your shins when you get done running. you'll eventually build up enough strength to where they won't hurt.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
shin splints suck. before you run, stretch your shins. get someone to stand on the top of your feet with their heels, then pull up with your toes. ice your shins when you get done running. you'll eventually build up enough strength to where they won't hurt.

So running probably wont make them worse?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:18:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no, just scale it back a little. shin splints are a common problem when you've had a lay-off from running activities, and running it off is the way to go. build up to more distance depending on how your shins are responding and try to run on grass when possible. also, try to avoid hills until your shins feel 100%.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
. build up to more distance depending on how your shins are responding and try to run on grass when possible.

is it true sidewalks are the worst?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I never had shin splints until I put on weight.  Toe taps are good way to strengthen your shins.  You can do them anywhere, keep your heels on the floor and bring your foot up as far as it will go and repeat.  

Try running on soft surfaces.  Hardpack and pavement sucks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:23:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

no, just scale it back a little. shin splints are a common problem when you've had a lay-off from running activities, and running it off is the way to go. build up to more distance depending on how your shins are responding and try to run on grass when possible. also, try to avoid hills until your shins feel 100%.

I had shin splints in high school and my trainer told me to not run as fast or as hard, but keep to a slow jog.

I hope this helps, i know how they feel!!----ouch!!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:24:34 AM EDT
[#7]
i heard you can specifically work the muscle that is causing the pain by tying a string to your big toe and then looping it over a doorknob with a weight on it. you can do reps with your foot to work the muscle...won't take long to get it in shape. used to work for me.+
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:25:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
. build up to more distance depending on how your shins are responding and try to run on grass when possible.

is it true sidewalks are the worst?

any hard surface puts a lot of stress on the legs, a surface with a little (but not a lot of) give is ideal. good shoes help, also.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Ohh man your hurting me just reading the title.  Get some ICY hot on them and get beter!!!

Owwwwww
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#10]
stretch them out eh,  sit on the couch and ley your legs across a coffee table or something,  then have the good samaritan of your choice push on the top of your feet

shin spints occur when your oversstressing and the muscle actually starts pulling away from the bone
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Get the long 2ft rubber bands and wrap one around your foot and the other and around a stationary
(heavy sofa leg) object and pull your foot towards yourself. Kind of like a foot curl. (pivoting at the ankle) I was told splints occur due to the weak tiny muscles around your chin  bone. An inbalance in muscle. The same way a weak back is due to weak or no abdominal muscles. Does that help. It worked for me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:38:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:47:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I ran CC in high school, and got them all the time. I learned asprin is cheaper in bulk.

Anyway, my coach said to run on softer stuff, grass and the like, rather than concrete. Stretch well, work on building your shin muslces.

Also, just keep running. I got them real bad one week, and my coach said "You can run on them, and they'll hurt a lot. Or you can not run on them, and they'll hurt a lot." So I ran.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#15]
all shin splints are  is an inflammation to the front muscle on your shin.  running will not bother them, but a great way to get rid of them, if you have the tools, would be to balance a light dumbell on your toesand do toe lifts.  that will focus on that particular muscle.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Screw all this "light jog" crap. Your body is already telling you the answer. The more you work it, the stronger it becomes.

Turn up the volume and tough it out. They will go away.

ETA: Good shoes are a must though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:56:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Shin splints  the terminal disease no one talks about

I hope your affairs are in order, you won't suffer long!

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top