Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2004 6:49:35 PM EDT
On my way to work there is a T-junction with a set of lights.  Directly across from where I stop at the lights is a pharmacy.  If there is a car at the pharmacy waiting to go straight, and I am waiting to make a left turn, who has the right-of-way?  I usually wait to see what the driver will do (defensive driving).  If there is a car ahead of me trying to make a left turn then the car at the pharmacy will either yield half of the time and give the finger the other half.  People seem to be confused as to who has the right of way.

pharmacy
---X-------  X = lights
    -
    - Me (waiting for light to change to turn left)
    -
    -
    -

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe you have the right of way.... but go defensive because no one really knows whats goin on

- BG
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say the car coming out of the pharmacy going straight has the right of way, dosen't he also have a green traffic light facing him?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:56:38 PM EDT
[#3]
When two cars arrive simultaneously at an intersection, the car on YOUR right has the right of way.

I hate four way stops.  Put fucking traffic circles everywhere.  Far more efficient and less confusing method of moving traffic through a road junction.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#4]
If two cars approch opposit the intersection at the same time, the car on a road way has the right of way over a car coming out of a parking lot.  If the car in the parking lot has a light as well as the others then he would have the right of way.  If there is a 4-way light (even if one direction is in into a parking lot) then its the same rules as a 4-way stop light at a 4-way intersection.  The light determins the right of way.

FireBlade

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Cars already on the road have priority over vehicles attempting to enter the road from private property. Think abut it. Traffic laws ( with very few exceptions) deal only with roadways. cars on private property are not governed and have no "legal" right of way.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I would say the car coming out of the pharmacy going straight has the right of way, dosen't he also have a green traffic light facing him? YES

ETA: He does have a green light as well, but he is coming out of the parking lot.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:03:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Cars already on the road have priority over vehicles attempting to enter the road from private property. Think abut it. Traffic laws ( with very few exceptions) deal only with roadways. cars on private property are not governed and have no "legal" right of way.

This makes sense, but because of the traffic light, about half the people coming out of the pharmacy think they have the right-of-way.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:04:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I believe you have the right of way.... but go defensive because no one really knows whats goin on

- BG

So true.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I did grand jury duty for two weeks once.  We had to do all sorts of crap.  One case was an accident just like your scenario.  It ended up that the guy turning out of the parking lot (private property) was at fault, because he was obliged to yield right of way to the guy that he t-boned making a left turn coming from the opposite direction.

No, I am not a lawyer, Just a one time jury duty guy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:05:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I missed the part about them also having a light. In that case the car going staight has row over a car attempting to turn left. sorry. Does everyone have a light, or just the cars at the T?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I missed the part about them also having a light. In that case the car going staight has row over a car attempting to turn left. sorry. Does everyone have a light, or just the cars at the T?

+1
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#12]
If both have a green light, straight through traffic has right-of-way over turning traffic.
At the 4-way mentioned above, the person to your right has right-of-way as stated, assuming all are going straight. Anyone turning loses their r-o-w.
* Unless one of the vehicles is a mail truck. Federal vehicles get automatic r-o-w.   Also emergency vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#13]
State laws vary by state.  Get a drivers hand book or call a defense driving instructor in your state as they should know the law, lol!!!!

FireBlade
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Get both!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#15]
In NY , If the pharmacy parking lot is private property then you have the right of way .
Unless they deeded the exit roadway to the state . Then they have the right of way

Not sure how NH rules it , but its a good bet if the light is in line to the Pharmacy exit
then they have the right of way .
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:39:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Everyone has a light.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:42:52 AM EDT
[#17]
These people are coming from a pharmacy, they are already fucked up.  Let them go first.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:07:19 AM EDT
[#18]
There's a very simple answer to this.

I have the right of way. Always do, so remember it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:13:45 AM EDT
[#19]
In Washington the traffic signal is the determining factor.

If you are turning you yield to the traffic going straight, even if it's coming out of a parking lot as long as the parking lot traffic has a signal.

For stop signs it's different.

If it's a three-way intersection and it's a marked three way intersection then the law of stop signs applies - Car on the right has the right of way, who stops first goes first.
If it's not a marked intersection then they are pulling out of a parking lot and must yield to the street sign traffic.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:31:17 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
State laws vary by state.  Get a drivers hand book or call a defense driving instructor in your state as they should know the law, lol!!!!

FireBlade

Correct answer. There was a case in Milpitas California where a guy got a ticket for failure to yield to traffic. He was making a right hand turn out of a parking lot onto a divided street. Someone was making a u-turn to go into the same direction. He left parking lot and got the ticket, U-turn car was unmarked cop. Turns out the traffic right of way extends several feet past the curb, usually includes the sidewalk. Ticket was dismissed because the cop was the one who failed to yield to traffic in the right of way.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:39:29 AM EDT
[#21]
IIRC IAW the UTC "Entering the Right of Way from private property" is lowest priority unless there is a signal, the signal controls the intersection .  This catches a lot of people because there isn't always a signal for those coming out  the driveway, best to assume there is then find out after you hit somebody he had a green light or green arrow.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:30:13 AM EDT
[#22]
People turning left have no rights.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:44:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would say the car coming out of the pharmacy going straight has the right of way, dosen't he also have a green traffic light facing him? YES

ETA: He does have a green light as well, but he is coming out of the parking lot.  

Doesn't matter, his movement is regulated by the same lights as you. He has the right of way.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:04:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:27:53 AM EDT
[#25]
If you are turning left then you are crossing his right of way. I believe you have to yield.  He's got a green light just like you do and it shouldn't make a difference if it's a pharmacy behind him or 5 miles of road.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top