Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 5:14:23 PM EDT
"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would."

--- John Adams, Boston Gazette, Sept. 5, 1763,reprinted in 3 The Works of John Adams 438 (Charles F. Adams ed., 1851).

Our Bill of Rights does not grant rights, it preserves and guarantees pre-existing individual rights. How do we know this? The Ninth Amendment states:

"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

In other words, we have other rights beyond what is expressly stated in the Constitution, and the federal government is not justified in denying us those rights.

referenced

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#1]
yes and your point is?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:20:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I have always liked
"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have always liked
"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

I have used that one many times myself.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:23:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have always liked

Another good one from Franklin was...

" I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
-- Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1776
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have always liked

" I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
-- Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1776

Do you have these memorized?  If so, well done!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Do you have these memorized?  If so, well done!

Ohh no.  I remember OF them from college.  I have to go reference them!  I wish my recall was that good!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#7]
our founding fathers were the shizznizzle. what brilliant, well-spoken, and prophetic men they were.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
our founding fathers were the shizznizzle. what brilliant, well-spoken, and prophetic men they were.

Like the Nuge said, "...they were light years ahead of us..."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top