Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2004 10:18:03 PM EDT
think the gestapo would visit me? I'm thinking of selling my rifle and buying ten stripped lowers.

Also what tools are required to finish a lower receiver? VISE? hammer?

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:20:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:22:53 PM EDT
[#2]
but a vice is not required?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:24:03 PM EDT
[#3]
You should be OK. Two yellow sheets required though, only 7 guns can be put on one.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:24:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope, and just a few punch's. If you can assemble a model airplane you can build a lower.
About 500 bucks for ten lower parts kits.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:35:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
but a vice is not required?

Not "Technically" but I'd STRONGLY advise you to invest in one.  If you DO get a vise, do yourself a favor and hit the hardware store fore some rubber/synthetic insulation (So you don't leave vise marks on the recievers) AND some electricians tape.  I know some guys use other things to protect the finishes on their recievers from punch "slips" but I'm hooked on electricians tape (Usually about three layers thick) because it does a great job and comes off clean.

As far as running a bunch of serial numbers at the same time?  I'd say it depends on your "comfort" level man.  I've run 5 at one time and never had a problem and seen guys do as many as 15 (!) when I was working for an FFL but but it's up to you.  

Anything over three creeps me out these days but then, I'm getting old and cautious
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:44:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You should be OK. Two yellow sheets required though, only 7 guns can be put on one.

only 3 guns per 4473 now. so you'll have to fill out 3 forms and do 3 NICS checks

ETA: "they" won't know whether you are buying 10 stripped lowers or 10 new england single shots. heck they won't even know you are buying 10 of anything, just that you are having 3 NICS checks done that pertain to long guns. if you space them out over 24 hours from each other then they won't even know that they did a check on you 2 days before.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:50:10 PM EDT
[#7]
where do you plan on purchasing 10 lowers from?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:52:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:15:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Also what tools are required to finish a lower receiver? VISE? hammer?

try here gives all info you need www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

only 3 guns per 4473 now. so you'll have to fill out 3 forms and do 3 NICS checks

ETA: "they" won't know whether you are buying 10 stripped lowers or 10 new england single shots. heck they won't even know you are buying 10 of anything, just that you are having 3 NICS checks done that pertain to long guns. if you space them out over 24 hours from each other then they won't even know that they did a check on you 2 days before.

When did this start?

AFAIK, as long as you do not leave the counter, one phone call gets you all you can pay for. They used to put any additional over the box amounts shown on an addendum piece of paper....

But....multiple handgun purchase do send up a red flag upon inspection, as a possible trafficker.

???
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:45:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I won't do more than one gun per sheet again.  For single gun purchases in Oregon I have never waited for a backround check for more than a couple of hours.  The last time I put two guns on one sheet it was three days.

Oregon is like a couple of other states in that the State Police do the backround checks.  They do the NICS, but they have their own checks on top of that.  It really slows the process.  

I recently bought a rifle in Washington and was done with the NICS in five minutes.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:29:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Get a CCW.  In my state, all they do is call to see if it's valid.  If so, nothing else needs to be called in.  You could buy the whole store out as long as you carried it out the same day.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:41:07 AM EDT
[#13]
You DON'T need a vice for any of the lower assembly, and most kits now come with the upper fully assembled.

You can do everything you need on the lower with Vise Grip pliers and a roll of electrical tape (to press in roll pins) and screwdriver for grip screw.

Note my post here:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=200583
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:11:21 AM EDT
[#14]
When I put my lower together the other day, I used a small punch and tap hammer, a small screwdriver and a toothbrush. Slick as snot.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:16:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I thought the brady bill limited you to 5 firearms per day.

The lower, even if stripped is considered the firearm.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:17:38 AM EDT
[#16]
If Kerry gets the White House, I will be taking out a loan to buy AR mags, lowers, and Glock mags.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:17:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Get a CCW.  In my state, all they do is call to see if it's valid.  If so, nothing else needs to be called in.  You could buy the whole store out as long as you carried it out the same day.

Isn't it nice?  I love it here.

Putting lowers together is fun and easy.  Check out the Mega lowers from this thread...

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=153544&page=1

They are $89 shipped, and are very well made.  I did one up with a RRA lower parts kit and it works VERY well.  A little tuning on the trigger and it will be perfect.  

A couple of tools that are handy..a small punch for the roll pins and some tape to protect the lower.  That's really about it.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:19:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I looked into buying 5 at once and the dealers looked at me like I was retarted.
I don't use him now.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:21:06 AM EDT
[#19]
I purchased 5 lowers in 99 and the atf didn't burn my house down and step on my cat.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:01:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I purchased 5 lowers in 99 and the atf didn't burn my house down and step on my cat.

you dodged a bullet
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:50:33 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

When did this start?

AFAIK, as long as you do not leave the counter, one phone call gets you all you can pay for. They used to put any additional over the box amounts shown on an addendum piece of paper....

But....multiple handgun purchase do send up a red flag upon inspection, as a possible trafficker.

???

More than one handgun purchase within a 5 consecutive day period requires the FFL to fill out a multiple handgun sale form. This gets faxed immediately to BATF or mailed within 24 hours. In addition, another copy gets mailed to the CLEO for your address. As for long guns or receivers other than handgun receivers, no action is required. 3 guns per 4473, one NICS for for all if the transfer occurs at the same time. So you'd fill out four 4473's for 10 receivers, one NICS. BATF wouldn't know the difference unless a trace was initiated some time down the road or your state laws require someting different.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:53:10 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Well, they just haven't YET.

ETA: I use my CCW for all my transaction- no calls at all. YMMV.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:55:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When did this start?

???

More than one handgun purchase within a 5 consecutive day period requires the FFL to fill out a multiple handgun sale form. This gets faxed immediately to BATF or mailed within 24 hours. In addition, another copy gets mailed to the CLEO for your address. As for long guns or receivers other than handgun receivers, no action is required. 3 guns per 4473, one NICS for for all if the transfer occurs at the same time. So you'd fill out four 4473's for 10 receivers, one NICS. BATF wouldn't know the difference unless a trace was initiated some time down the road or your state laws require someting different.

at the store i used to work at we used to be able to do multiple 4473s on 1 call. now they have to make a call per 4473, but that may just be this stores policy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top