Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2004 8:33:27 AM EDT
Went to the range this morning with Tman and we shot some rifles.

I was shooting my Accuracy International AE:

Here's some groups:

These are not "best" groups.  They are just four that I shot today.  The rifle will do even better if I hold better.

An accurate rifle is a pleasure to shoot.

Col. Townsend Whelen was right: "Only accurate rifles are interesting."
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:35:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Distance and firing position?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:36:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Distance and firing position?

100 yards, hunkered down on a bench.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Good groups, maybe just a little sight correction, and even ants will be living in fear at a 100 yards!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:39:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Hi painless, hows retirement treating you?? looks like it will be the 1st part of oct. before i get home {work}   you going to gunstock?? W.B.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:40:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice rifle, .308 ?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:59:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Good groups, maybe just a little sight correction, and even ants will be living in fear at a 100 yards!

Thanks.

I have it shooting 1 1/4 inch high on purpose.  If I had it sighted "dead-on", then after my first shot, my aiming point would be gone.

Once I was shooting with my buddy brianksain and a lizard decided to walk across the target while we were shooting.

Brian made his usual head shot at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:00:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hi painless, hows retirement treating you?? looks like it will be the 1st part of oct. before i get home {work}   you going to gunstock?? W.B.

Man it's great!!

Six Saturdays and a Sunday.  How you gonna beat it?

Won't make it to Gunstock this year.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:03:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

I have it shooting 1 1/4 inch high on purpose.  If I had it sighted "dead-on", then after my first shot, my aiming point would be gone.

Once I was shooting with my buddy brianksain and a lizard decided to walk across the target while we were shooting.

Brian made his usual head shot at 100 yards.

A head shot on a lizard at 100 yards is damn impressive.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:03:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Nice rifle, .308 ?

Yessir.

I may be mistaken, but I believe that AEs are made in .308 only.

AI makes ARs (Artic Rifles) in other calibers.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:05:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yes it is.

But, as you can see from the groups, not totally unexpected.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:12:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Great placement Old Pain

looks like your zero is 200 yard, are you using handload
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:17:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Dude, you missed the "x"

My .308's are all about 2" high at 100, cuz I have them sighted for 200 yards.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Great placement Old Pain

As stated above, I am shooting high just to preserve my shooting point-of-aim.  I can dial the come-down to zero in just a couple of seconds, if needed.

I shoot handloads.  They are in Federal Match brass, Federal Gold Medal Match primers, 168 gr. Sierra Moly-coated bullets (#2200M), and 44.5 grains of AA-2495.  (Safe in my rifle, work up slowly.)

Never had a better load.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Painless, i used to shoot at your club with my dad in the early 60,s. shot an 03-a3 the 1st. time there, could barely hold the rifle up. i put my left elbow on my hip& and some guy came over&asked if that was that "new" stance he had read about. later.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Painless, i used to shoot at your club with my dad in the early 60,s. shot an 03-a3 the 1st. time there, could barely hold the rifle up. i put my left elbow on my hip& and some guy came over&asked if that was that "new" stance he had read about. later.

It's still a great range.  Dues are going up to $50 per year, but you can go every day if you like.

Self supervised, all NRA members.  Of course you know this, but for others, we have a 50 yard pistol range, a 100 & 200 yard rifle range, a 600 yard range, a 200 yard silouette range, a shotgun range, and a 50 yard action shooting range.

And it's 15 minutes from my driveway.  Ain't life great?!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, you missed the "x"

My .308's are all about 2" high at 100, cuz I have them sighted for 200 yards.

Yep, a good rule of thumb is, "2-0-8 for a .308".  Two inches high at 100, on at 200, 8 inches low at 300.

But, for most people, they are like my granddaughter.  She looks at my groups and says, "Pawpaw, you missed."
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#17]
One bump for the evening crew.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

It was actually a giant iguana.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Great placement Old Pain

As stated above, I am shooting high just to preserve my shooting point-of-aim.  I can dial the come-down to zero in just a couple of seconds, if needed.

I shoot handloads.  They are in Federal Match brass, Federal Gold Medal Match primers, 168 gr. Sierra Moly-coated bullets (#2200M), and 44.5 grains of AA-2495.  (Safe in my rifle, work up slowly.)

Never had a better load.

Try it with Norma brass.  I made the switch a long time ago and have not gone back.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:37:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice rifle and very nice groups.  That's much better than I could do, I shake too bad.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Try it with Norma brass.  I made the switch a long time ago and have not gone back.

My bud brianksain gives me once-fired Federal Match from SWAT practice.  Kinda hard not to go with free brass.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#22]
That is an amazingly SEXY rifle...

with equally sexy results, i might add!

Excellent!

- BG
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
That is an amazingly SEXY rifle...

with equally sexy results, i might add!

Excellent!

- BG

Thanks.  I know what you mean.

It is as stout as you can imagine.

My friend was at a demonstartion where they were demonstrating AI rifles.  The instructor held it by the barrel and threw the butt on the concrete hard, making the rifle bounce a foot or so in the air.  He caught it by the barrel and did it again and again.

He then laid down and shot a one-hole group.

He continued the lecture, doing the same thing several times.  The point of impact never changed and the groups never opened up.

It's a fine weapon.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Sweet rifle, and nice shooting!

I was at the range today shooting my pet handload and fired ten shots into a ragged hole, dead on the bulls.  All inside a one inch ten ring.  I won't mention what brand of rifle!  I will probably post a range report a little later.    
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Damn, it's been over a month since I shot my PSS.  

I need to get it out more.  

Nice set-up OldPainless.  

How's that Federal brass work for you?  I've heard that it's a little weak and prone to separation.  

I use winchester brass and get 7-8 loadings neck sizing before I have to trim it and FL size and at least another 6-7 before I toss it.  

I use 44 grains of Varget pushing a 175 SMK--no moly.  My groups are like yours if I do my part ;)

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:42:19 PM EDT
[#26]
What's the scope you've got on there?  I'm gathering some input for a project of mine, now that the blessed expiration has come to pass.  :)

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

How's that Federal brass work for you?  I've heard that it's a little weak and prone to separation.

I use winchester brass and get 7-8 loadings neck sizing before I have to trim it and FL size and at least another 6-7 before I toss it.  

If it is weak, I haven't noticed any problem.  But then again, I don't need to make it last too long as I have a supply of new brass.  And, like you, I neck size only.

I use 44 grains of Varget pushing a 175 SMK--no moly.  My groups are like yours if I do my part ;)

I tried some Varget and it is indeed a good load.  It is second only to the AA-2495 that I use in my gun.

But, as I'm sure you know, Varget may work best in another rifle.  That's what makes this sport interesting.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
What's the scope you've got on there?  I'm gathering some input for a project of mine, now that the blessed expiration has come to pass.  :)

The scope is a Leupold 8.5 X 25 X 40mm, with tack knobs.  It is a fine piece of equipment.

Experience has taught me that money spent for a fine scope is money well spent.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Old_Painless, nice AI!. i have been looking at them for quite a while and just dream of the day when i might be blessed enough to have one grace my 'toy box'. everything in time.
be well
maxwell
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Old_Painless, nice AI!. i have been looking at them for quite a while and just dream of the day when i might be blessed enough to have one grace my 'toy box'. everything in time.
be well
maxwell

Don't wait too long, my friend.

The price is steadly going up.  I think that they are around $2,500 for an AE now.  AI only makes about 1,000 rifles a year and many are going into the sandbox with British snipers.

They are well worth the price, IMHO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top