Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 7:28:26 PM EDT
Is a cult any religion that requires a great deal of devotion? Are some christian churches cults?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Perception

Cult

Definition:  1. [n]  an interest followed with exaggerated zeal; "he always follows the latest fads"; "it was all the rage that season"

2.[n]  a system of religious beliefs and rituals
3.[n]  adherents of an exclusive system of religious beliefs and practices  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Size

... j/k
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#3]
A religion becomes a cult when they elevate one of the leaders of the religion to God like status, and begin taking orders from that person as if they were coming directly from the mouth of God.

Also, they have to be living together in a fortress or compound of some kind with a butt load of weapons and waiting for an apocolyptic confrontation with Uncle Sam.

Kinda like all of us.

(just kidding)
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#4]
A deity!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's an easy, practical test to determine whether any entity which claims religious status is a cult.

1. Is there any secret scripture which is not available to a casual inquirer? If so, it's a cult.

2. Are there any secret principles or beliefs which (however simple or complex) will not be revealed to a casual inquirer? If so, it's a cult.

3. Are there any ceremonies or practices which will not be described or disclosed to to a casual inquirer? If so, it's a cult.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Here's an easy, practical test to determine whether any entity which claims religious status is a cult.

1. Is there any secret scripture which is not available to a casual inquirer? If so, it's a cult.

2. Are there any secret principles or beliefs which (however simple or complex) will not be revealed to a casual inquirer? If so, it's a cult.

3. Are there any ceremonies or practices which will not be described or disclosed to to a casual inquirer? If so, it's a cult.

so then is the catholic church a cult? (sorry sgtar15)
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:38:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:38:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

so then is the catholic church a cult? (sorry sgtar15)

Well, answer the questions one by one and find out. You'll come out ahead if you avoid relying on the Celestine Prophecy, the DaVinci Code, and the Gnostic Gospels in answering.

I get "No," "No," and "No," which adds up to "No."
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Great descriptions of Mormons.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Depends on the .gov interpretation of "cult" at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Great descriptions of Mormons.  

Everything I know about Mormons I learned from South Park. Dum Da Dum Dum Dum.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Is it based on worshipping the moon in any way?  Does it force its believers to convert non believers or kill them?  Does it force you to think about it at every waking hour of the day?  Does it allow you to question the leaders of it if you believe what they are doing doesn't comport to its "holy book."  Was it founded by a pedophile?  Does it make its members go door to door handing out magazines?  Does it impose clothing restrictions and punish for abuse of the restrictions harshly?  Is its main leader or "prophet" a raging lunatic who has a panchant for little girls/boys?  Is it considered a religion of peace, but in reality, is a cult of violence?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Is a cult any religion that requires a great deal of devotion? Are some christian churches cults?

Only a matter of someone's opinion.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Is it based on worshipping the moon in any way?  Does it force its believers to convert non believers or kill them?  Does it force you to think about it at every waking hour of the day?  Does it allow you to question the leaders of it if you believe what they are doing doesn't comport to its "holy book."  Was it founded by a pedophile?  Does it make its members go door to door handing out magazines?  Does it impose clothing restrictions and punish for abuse of the restrictions harshly?  Is its main leader or "prophet" a raging lunatic who has a panchant for little girls/boys?  Is it considered a religion of peace, but in reality, is a cult of violence?

The RoP isnt a cult. Everything that comes out of the Quaran is truth.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#17]
here is the true story of an old friend of mine.Don
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Size

... j/k

Actually, DK_Prof, you are right on target.  If the Branch Davidians' membership numbered in the millions they would of course be a recognized religion.

Many people would consider Islam a cult if they merely numbered in the hundreds instead of hundreds of millions.

(I know I would)

I know, to a point I do think it is a matter of size - but didn't want to offend anyone, so I added the smiley

... although cults are often also characterized by their SELECTION of followers, i.e. going for people who already have low self-esteem and identity problems, and perhaps are overly gullible. (I mean seriously, who here would have believed Marshall Applewhite when he claimed that he was going to a new world, and was going to get there by killing himself and then beign magically picked up by a mysterious spaceship behind the Hale-Bopp comet??  I don;t think the AVERAGE person would believe that).  

Plus, cults also often force members to cut ties to non-members (even if relatives, parents, etc.).
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#19]
rigid adherence to dogma, I'd say.

Any group that routinely (and primarily) tells its adherents WE are the only ones that know the "Truth", all others are Infidels / Going to Hell, as well, as far as I'm concerned - but I recognize that starts to cover most major religions.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#20]
If clean_cut wants to attend services there, or live there, it might be a cult.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:55:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
If clean_cut wants to attend services there, or live there, it might be a cult.

That's funny.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't care how large the Mormon church gets. I will always consider them a cult.  

Historically, the U.S. government considered them a cult...
Why do you think it took Utah so long to become a state?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top