Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2004 11:08:18 AM EDT
I posted this in the Armory with no luck.

A friend of mine has a Rem LTR detachable mag model for sale. I can get it for around $600.

I know that it's a reasonable price but I can't find any info on the DM model on the net. Was it discontinued? How is the recoil on these? I know it's only a .308 but I'm a small dude with some bone problems. How about the bbl, does it heat up fast?

Any and all info is appreciated!!!

Balming
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Some people report problems with the DM models of the PSS line.

Many others take those reports and do the internet multiplication thing.  

The DM LTR was discontinued.

It's a PSS with a 20" fluted barrel instead of the 24" or 26" non flute barrel.

It's a heavy barrel and they don't heat up fast at all.

For the record the magazine on my 300wm PSS DM that passed through many peoples hands before it go to me works perfectly.

If you have a DM that's acting up there are two things to check

1)If the slots in the bottom metal are too open, the mag will sag in the rear and the bolt won't pick up a round.  To fix you just use a punch and hammer to close them up until the mag sits flush with the bottom.

2) If the rifle is bedded or the stock too think the reciever sits too high from the bottom metal and the bolt can't pick up the round.  Removing material so the receiver sits low enough cures the problem.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:12:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I was told that the DM version was discontinued due to reliably problems with the mag.  The newer LTR has the tradition integral magazine with hinged floorplate.

A co-worker had a DM LTR that was purchased in the late 1990’s that never worked properly.  My vague recollection is that he had problems getting the mag to stay properly seated.

However, IIRC a couple of members here have the DM version and have not had any problems.

I’d think you could fit a H-S Precision detachable mag setup to correct any problems (and get a steel triggerguard at the same time).  Brownells sells it.

I doubt you could fit an integral mag since there probably aren’t any feed lips milled into the receiver (just guessing, though).

Between the heavy barrel and the thick recoil pad, I personally don’t think its recoil is bad at all.  About the only way I could see it as an issue is if you’ve got some sort of injury or medical problem.  If so, I’d think something like a 7MM-08 would be a better way to go (not available AFAIK in the LTR).

The thick barrel doesn’t heat up quickly (though of course it doesn’t cool off quickly, either).  Plus it does have flutes, though they’re pretty shallow.

FWIW
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:29:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys!

I'll run a few rounds through it first if I decide to buy it.

Anyone else have any experience?

Balming
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a PSS DM model.  You have to stroke the bolt perfectly to get it to pick a round up.  Forget about doing it fast, unless your feeling lucky.  I like the idea, just not the implementation.  It'll be replaced soon with the HS precision mag system.  Thats a great upgrade based on what I've heard.  Other than that, needs new glass, but the mags are my only complaint.  Buy it and get the HS precision mag kit.  Great guns.    
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#5]
An HS precision mag kit, eh?  Any idea on a price?  I'll look it up on the Brownells website and see if it will still be a good deal for the rifle + the cost of a kit.  That is if the mag won't feed right.

Balming
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top