Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/11/2004 7:38:45 PM EDT
Welfare is a common discussion here and I agree with those folks who view welfare as an abused system which promotes uselessness and laziness. Many people on welfare misuse the intention of the system to abuse drugs. Monthly checks are cashed and used to purchase drugs which were not intended by the welfare system. What effect would reforming the welfare system to include drug testing to cleanse society from supporting a drug addicts habit. Since people from all walks of life collect welfare, racisim couldn't be considered a motivation towards reform. Should welfare recipients be drug tested in order to receive benefits or continue receiving benefits. How about quarterly drug tests to retain benefits?

HS1
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:42:26 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a FREAKING BRILLIANT idea !!

It'll never happen - but a great idea!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#2]
yes, it will never happen but yes none the less

if im paying them i want them off the chronic.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Absolutely!  If they suckle the .gov teat, they should be held financially accountable for their actions!(pop hot on the whiz quiz, lose all bennies)
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh great!... now I have to PAY to drug test them too.... Bad idea!

--RR
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:49:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm all for it
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:49:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes. I have said it many times.
Also immigrants.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
That's a FREAKING BRILLIANT idea !!

It'll never happen - but a great idea!

+1
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes.  Most importantly though, welfare recipients should not be allowed to vote.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:51:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

--RR

Hardly.. test them the first month, and have 75% less recipients the second month. Instant savings.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

--RR

If they test positive take it out of there last check.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:53:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Of course.  Any of them that come up clean should be kicked off welfare, as they could work.  Those who come up hot realistically can't hold down a job and can stay on the dole.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:54:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Just think long term. Spend money once on a drug test and when they fail, no more welfare for 365 days from the failed test sate. A decent drug test will cost >$100 per person. The elimination rate would be huge! Hopefully, our taxes would be lowered by mass failures.

HS1

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:54:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

--RR

Hardly.. test them the first month, and have 75% less recipients the second month. Instant savings.

negative, the next step would be federal aided rehab program.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

--RR

And 75% more crime the third month, this is why it isnt done.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Also immigrants.

They already do this if you come into the country legally.  I recently had a Green Card physical.  They also check for AIDS, TB, Hepatitis, etc.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:01:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Thank you C4. I did not know that.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Yes.  Most importantly though, welfare recipients should not be allowed to vote.

+1
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:09:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Corporate execs should be tested. Last I checked, I don't think anyone on welfare has fucked tens of thousands of people out of their retirements or screwed mutual fund investors like me out of billions of dollars.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Unless you test them all every 30 days this would never work.

Just like some of the STUPID drug policies in the work place today. One time test and never again. With the number of folks on welfare the odds of getting called twice in a year are slim and none.

OK!  Set welfare up like Pay Call, march in on  the 1st, report get your pee cup, fill it, go to next line, test it, next line  get your check (or not)!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Drug tested - nah.  Temporarily sterilized - yes.

If the thought of never procreating doesn't get them motivated, they don't need to be procreating anyway.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Corporate execs should be tested. Last I checked, I don't think anyone on welfare has fucked tens of thousands of people out of their retirements or screwed mutual fund investors like me out of billions of dollars.

I could save more for retirement if I had to pay less for welfare...
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#26]
On behalf of my family & in-laws, +14

And +13 for the pets too, they agree that it's a whopping good idea.  See?  You don't even have to be human to appreciate the brilliance and benefits of drug testing welfare recipients.

I suspect this would be a nearly foolproof way to wipe out a huge amount of crime in America.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:17:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I swear - I've seen those jokers collect 'they cheks' and walk around the corner to the crack house.  Without a care in the world.  It didn't bother them if you saw those dirtbags spending YOUR money.

Drug testing?  It ought to be MANDATORY!

+1 I see it 2 houses to the West
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:19:56 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Collectively, people on welfare have fucked people like you and me out of hundreds of billions of dollars for decades.  With the rare exception of those who honestly need assistance, they are a scourge and a blight on America.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#30]
HELL YES they should be tested.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#31]
A resounding YES!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Yes, and they shouldn't be allowed to have more children when they are on welfare.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Yes.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#34]
I am a little more cruel. I would give them free heroin instead of benefits. Let them OD.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#35]
it will not work. other than prescription drugs the only drug that will remain in your system for more than 5 days is marijuana. i think making them work through a temp. agency would be best.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:21:48 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

--RR

Dumbass. Which do you think costs more - a drug test, or a year's worth of Welfare payments?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Better question, Should there even be "Welfare Recipients"??  Get rid of the welfare and you won't have anyone to drug test, problem solved.  Now wasn't that easy.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:26:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Better question, Should there even be "Welfare Recipients"??  Get rid of the welfare and you won't have anyone to drug test, problem solved.  Now wasn't that easy. hr

Agreed.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:27:12 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Also immigrants.

They already do this if you come into the country legally.  I recently had a Green Card physical.  They also check for AIDS, TB, Hepatitis, etc.

question,

what are the repercussions if you test positive for drugs? What if the drug you flagged was LEGAL in your home country?

mike

It's been so many years since mine, I'm not sure what exactly is tested for in terms of drugs (but I'm sure it wouldn't matter if it was legal whereever the hell you came from ) - I remember the big deal being things like AIDS.

It's funny how being tested for AIDS suddenly makes you start to wonder.  I mean, I had some good times in the army when I was younger, and once dated a pretty loose woman, and even though I'd never once considered that I might have AIDS, it was still weird to feel all worried when you know you're about to get the test results.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:41:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Yes I think anyone recieving any kind of government assistance should be tested randomly. I am fine with paying taxes to help those in need. My mother collected welfare after my father left. He left her with a $50 car, and a $20 dollar bill. Later that month he broke into our apartment and stole all of the dishes, towels, and other necessary household items. My brother and I never recieved child support from him. She had not worked in almost ten years, because she was a stay at home mom. This made it very hard to find a job. She recieved welfare while she went to school for two years. She was not spending it on drugs or alcohol. I have however known some people that I would be willing to bet are spending their welfare checks (and at times social security) on these things. I have even heard of people selling their food stamps in bars. That is ridiculous, and should be controlled somehow. I am sure the random drug testing will not happen, but it would be very effective.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Whatever happened to that proposed legislation a few years ago where welfare would be a temporary thing where you would only get it  for a set amount of time and it would be like unemployment, where you would have to prove that you were actively looking for work to continue receiving it?  I think that it was also proposed that there would be a cap on it as well, to keep the number of welfare babies down.  Combined with the drug testing, welfare would be unnecessary in no time!!  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:36:07 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Also immigrants.

question,

what are the repercussions if you test positive for drugs? What if the drug you flagged was LEGAL in your home country?

mike

INS is like BATF:  They don't have a sense of humor!  Drugs = No Green Card.  The physical is scheduled, though.  If you do partake in illicit drugs you at least know when to stop.  Better to stay away from drugs entirely.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:51:19 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Whatever happened to that proposed legislation a few years ago where welfare would be a temporary thing where you would only get it  for a set amount of time and it would be like unemployment, where you would have to prove that you were actively looking for work to continue receiving it?  I think that it was also proposed that there would be a cap on it as well, to keep the number of welfare babies down.  Combined with the drug testing, welfare would be unnecessary in no time!!  

There is a five year limit on welfare and also a limit (I think two years but could be as much as five) on benefits for babies born after a specific date.   Welfare clients are required to be working, getting training/education, or actively seeking employment to recieve their welfare payments.   Thankfully I got out of the welfare business just as the first people were getting ready to hit the five year mark and lose their benefits forever.  At that time, the federal and state governments were looking for loopholes so that people could continue to get benefits after their FEDERALLY MANDATED five-year limit was expired.   It's amazing how many people think the system owes them a living.   Also, the first five years of welfare reform were targeted at getting able-bodied/minded people employed and millions of people got off of welfare.  Those left after the first five years were mainly hardcore clients with numerous drug/mental problems.  When I left the focus was shifting over to drug abuse/mental health treatment.  

In my state, the amounts of welfare a person could get were as follows:

mother and;

1 child        $225.00/month
2 children   $292.00/month
3 children   $361.00/month
4 children   $425.00/month

These numbers may be off by a few dollars but were the welfare amounts as of September 11, 2001.    

I would support permanent sterilzation of some chronic welfare clients.  One of my clients had just had her seventh baby (she was mid-20's and only two of the children had the same father......that's seven babies, six fathers).  Sterilization was a popular remedy among the conservative welfare workers but was abhorred by the liberals.    There were a SUPRISING number of conservatives working there but most didn't last long.    

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:22:46 AM EDT
[#44]
You damn right they should.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:48:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Absolutely test ALL recipients of govt aid! Welfare AND unemployment.
Show up at their doorstep three to five days after the checks are issued and demand a sample.
every check at first , then randomly after a few months or so.
If your getting aid you should be forced to complete your schooling and take some sort of post HS/GED training to help with your job search.
Manditory sterilization to expectant mothers who apply for aid after getting pregnant and fail test.
Invest tax money into foster child plans to provide decent education and housing for the children lost by drugged out parents who fail to provide a decent life for these children.

Hell...it sounds comunist,but I would like to see a temporary sterilization program for ALL teenagers that can be reversed once they complete their schooling and responsible parenting classes.
We require drivers ed and licencing,and insurance for motor vehicle ownership/operation...why not childbirth?

Lets stop providing a free ride for these parasites!! NOW!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:51:35 AM EDT
[#46]
I'd be for it.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:08:19 AM EDT
[#47]
They should be both drug tested, and put on some form of birth control.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:15:38 AM EDT
[#48]
It'd be a great idea, ONLY when the people in charge, everyone in public office is forced to do the same, and daily tests for any LEO on the job. (alcohol included)

Hell, Corporate welfare recipients too?
Chris
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:19:14 AM EDT
[#49]
I said this in the should drugs be legalized thread.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:35:03 AM EDT
[#50]
If I remember correctly, they tried mandatory drug testing of welfare 'clients' here in Louisiana.  It was a test phase so they didn't keep names or had consequenses for a positive.  After 4 months the program was terminated because: It cost too much to run (10,000's of test every month = $$$), the positive rate was in excess of 80% and it was immediately stopped when it was decided that the .gov employees would be drug tested too.

Fritz
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top