Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2004 6:45:09 PM EDT
www.tri-cityherald.com/tch/local/story/5531672p-5466916c.html

Sad story here in the NW.

High school football coach leads team to 25-0 season and get stabbed and killed after the game by a 14 year old and 16 year old in the school.  The 14 year old kid stabbed the coach to get into a gang.   When caught 2 days later he had fresh gang tattoos on his wrist.  Both kids looking at life in prision.

WTF is wrong with kids these days????
Two suspects have been charged in the connection with the the murder of Benton City coach Bob Mars.

Benton County Sheriff's Department says the two Kennewick teenagers, Jordan Emmanuel Castillo and Robert Suarez, are in custody. They are 14 & 16 years of age.

Suarez and Castillo now been officially charged with Murder in the First Degree.

Read the Formal Charge Document from the Prosecutor

SUAREZ CHARGES CASTILLO CHARGES

Uses Adobe Acrobat Reader

Castillo was also charged with Attempted Theft.

Scholarship Fund

The family has set up a Scholarship Fund in Bob Mars' name and requests that you contribute to that fund in lieu of sending flowers. You can contribute at any Washington Mutual Bank branch.

Community Reacts

Disbelief, shock, and pure sadness, that's what most people have felt since they heard about the murder of Kiona-Benton teacher and coach Bob Mars. But those feelings were compounded Wednesday when word of the arrest of two teenage boys suspected of committing the crime, circulated through town.

While police have 16-year old Robert Suarez and 14 year old Jordan Castillo in custody for the suspected murder of 44-year-old Mars, many people are wondering what could have motivated the teens to take his life. KNDU spoke with residents at the growing memorial outside the Ki-Be Middle School.

“To even think about taking someone's life let alone a 14 and 16 year old child someone who’s one of my kids age could do that is beyond comprehension,” said Benton City resident Gloria Forsberg.

Many residents had those same thoughts when they heard that teenagers might be responsible for such a senseless crime that has left an entire community mourning. As the make-shift memorial for Mars grows, many parents are left in a difficult position. Having to explain to their own children why something so horrible could happen in their community.

“We've had to explain to our children that sometimes you come across people who don't do good things. They make wrong choices and there are penalties and punishments for those choices,” said Ken Forsberg.

Weapon Found at School

A military style - hunting knife was found my 12 year-old student early Tuesday morning in some tall grass on the grounds of the Kiona - Benton Middle School.

Investigators say the knife, with a single-edge blade measuring about six to seven inches, matches the description of the fatal stab wound to coach Bob Mars' abdomen.

Mars was last seen leaving the home of the high school principal Saturday night after a victory party for the high school football team.

Mars was planning to stop by the middle school to drop off a video of that game. He never made it home.

“He dropped to the floor, right where he was stabbed,” said Benton County Undersheriff, Paul Hart. “The video tape was there and so was his belonging so he didn’t appear to be robbed. It's a different kind of case, but we'll turn every stone we can find.”

Knife Tested for DNA Evidence

Undersheriff Hart says the knife is the only strong evidence they have in this murder investigation. It is being tested for DNA evidence and even the soil around where it was found is being tested for traces of blood.

Mars' pick-up truck, which had the driver's side window broken out has also been impounded and is being searched for evidence as well.

The sheriff's office says they believe Mars might have known his killer since there were no signs of a struggle except for a small defensive wound on his left finger.

Mars Touched Many

Bob Mars was well known throughout the area. While a teacher at Ki-Be Middle School, he was also Asst. Football Coach for Kiona-Benton H.S. in Benton City. He was well known to sports teams and fans throughout the Yakima-Tri-Cities area. In addition, he spent several years as the Wrestling Coach for Kennewick H.S. in Kennewick.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:50:55 PM EDT
[#1]
freaking sucks. Notice it was "stabbed" and not "oh meh gosh he got shot by teh COLT usp Expert ak-447!"
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:53:18 PM EDT
[#2]
That is really sad. We truly live a f'cked society.

To the people who favor renewing the '94 AWB, more people have been stabbed to death than killed by assualt weapons.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#3]
That's fucked up.  I'd personally shoot both the little fucks for free.

I see the latino gang problem is still there in the Tri-Cities, Yakima had a problem with them too when I lived there.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:56:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I see the latino gang problem is still there in the Tri-Cities, Yakima had a problem with them too when I lived there.  

Yep, there tattoos said MSP which stands for Mexicans Stand Proud.

Little bastards need to be strung up.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#5]
2 kids i went to school with are doing life for stabbing a gas station clerk, who was working a second job to put his nephew through college, so they could get money to buy some cd's.

and i wasn't from some ghetto town. this was probably the first murder this town had in 20 years.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#6]
assault knife
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#7]
what they need to do is

Try them
Convict them
Send a message to any other Gang Member Wannabees And Execute them

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Jim Marrs was an outstanding human being.  Husband, father, son, teacher, pilar in the community.  This is one of the most senseless and tragic event our community has experienced in years.  Words cannot describe my outrage towards the ass wipes that perpetrated this horrible deed.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe their Miranda rights got screwed up in translation and they will be our next multi millionaires.Then the cop bashers can cry about how their rights were violated.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Should grab the rest of the gang in on this too, not just the two little shits and make them all suffer.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Should grab the rest of the gang in on this too, not just the two little shits and make them all suffer.

now THERE'S and idea......you join a gang...one of your 'banger gang-mates does something illegal, and ALL of you get rounded up and become cell mates...

Bet that would cut down on the number of bangers out there
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
what they need to do is

Try them
Convict them
Send a message to any other Gang Member Wannabees

And Execute them

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:50:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Isn't it like the recco SP? laws.  If  the "gang members" order a hit to someone so they can join the gang.  Then you kick the shit out of them after during the joining ceremony.  Then give them tattoos.  They ordered it, and they encourge this act.   Then said members are just as responsible as the 14 and 16 year olds.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:53:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll give them a tattoo... fucking ingrates.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#15]
The things you have to do to get into a gang these days... sheesh.
MSP = Mexicans Suck Penis?
Gangs appear to be similar to organized crime. Why arent they hunted down and prosecuted as such?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
assault knife

A Pre-Ban "A military style - hunting knife ".

Ban knives.  Do it for the coaches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top