BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2004 1:58:28 PM EDT
http://209.157.64.200/focus/user-posts?id=39890

NRA: ONE MORE PUSH TO END THE CLINTON GUN BAN
  Posted by fire_eye to E. Pluribus Unum
On News/Activism 09/09/2004 12:46:30 PM PDT · 19 of 25

The gungrabbers will not wait one microsecond before trying to cram Commufornia-style legislation down our throats at the State level.

Oregon's resident gun-grabbing witch, State Senator Ginny "Burdbrain" Burdick, has just gone on the media to announce that it is going to introduce an "Assault Weapon" ban in the Oregon legislature next session.

It said that "Assault Weapons" are "Terrorism" (YES, I HEARD it say that), and that "Legitimate Gun Owners Will Not Be Affected".

Burdbrain is up for re-election this year.

Link to hometown

Hell tell her what you think.. [email protected]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:59:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, I knew it.  Once the federal ban failed they'd try at the state level.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I wish you didn't have to be independently wealthy to run for an office like this.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:09:16 PM EDT
[#3]
MI and now OR is trying this shit.

Any more out there that we need to flag and get people moving on?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:10:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I wish you didn't have to be independently wealthy to run for an office like this.

No shit! Well im 35 and own a gunsmith shop. I just need the funds. And I would run in a heart beat!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, you can add IL. to the list of wannabe gun grabbers.  

So far so good , it comes up pretty often, then stalls.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yeah, you can add IL. to the list of wannabe gun grabbers.  

So far so good , it comes up pretty often, then stalls.  

Burdick thinks she has momentum because of the gun show thing.. instead of it coming up and stalling over and over, we need to pound this crap into the ground so hard that if she brings it up again, they'll look at her like the nut she is.

Feinstein.. McCarthy.. Burdick.. I'm starting to think women have no place in politics. Too much emotion, not enough fact.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:22:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Feinstein.. McCarthy.. Burdick.. I'm starting to think women have no place in politics. Too much emotion, not enough fact.

I say end suffrage now!  Women are suffering damnit!

Rather making us men suffer.....fvck'in hag's.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:23:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Holy sh!t we cant let this happen i dont want to live in a commifornia. Lets make sure this dosent even come up! Hopefully she has no chance.

Justin
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm on it.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#10]
The Oregon firearms industry is on it...

-Z
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Is Oregon Gun Owners alive? Their website is poor, to say the least, and it looks like the last update was over a year ago. Doesn't give me a warm fuzzy to see that.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:34:12 PM EDT
[#12]
A lengthy schedule of testimony should help the cause.  I’m not even sure which committee to appear before yet, but this should help the cause a great deal.  

How To Testify Before a Legislative Committee
Committees are the heart of Oregon's legislative process. The committee process provides legislators more opportunity to closely study a measure than would be possible in a floor debate. Committees may hear from many people who support or oppose the measure.

Giving public testimony before a legislative committee can be an exciting and fulfilling experience if you are prepared.

Your testimony may influence the committee's action. It also becomes part of the permanent record and may be used in future research.

Listed below are suggestions to help make your presentation successful.

Know Your Audience
The members of the committee are "citizen legislators." They care that you have taken time out of your day to come and testify before them.
Be respectful.
Don't accuse committee members of causing your particular problem.
Resist the temptation to scold, put down, or insult the decision makers or other witnesses. This tactic will likely alienate them from your cause.
Know the Issue
Support your personal opinions with as many facts as possible. Be knowledgeable of the "other side of the story." You may be asked to discuss the differences. Draw from your own knowledge and experience.

Be Familiar with the Committee Process
Know the location of the building, the meeting room, and the meeting time.
Agendas will be posted outside the meeting room. Check to make sure the measure you are interested in has not been removed from the agenda. The measures may not be heard in the printed order.
If possible, attend a committee meeting before you testify to become familiar with the process and room layout.
When you arrive at the meeting, sign the witness registration sheet. Witnesses are not necessarily called in chronological order.

Presenting Your Written Testimony
When you are called to testify, give copies of your testimony to committee staff before you begin your presentation. The number of copies requested is printed on the bottom of the committee meeting agenda.
Begin your presentation by addressing the chairperson first, then members of the committee. "Chair___, members of the committee . . ."
For the record, state your name, address, and the organization or group you represent.
State whether you support or oppose the legislative measure being heard and briefly explain. Do not read your testimony to the committee word for word. Prepare an outline.
Keep in mind you may have a ten minute version of your testimony--be prepared to summarize it in one minute--that may be all the time you are allowed!
Thank the committee members and offer to answer any questions. "Thank you for the opportunity to testify before you today. I would be happy to answer any questions."
When a member asks you a question respond: "Chair ______ , Senator/Representative (state name), the answer to your question is . . ."
Relax! The members understand that this can be an intimidating experience--they don't expect a perfect presentation.

Group Testimony
Select several people to cover different topics so the testimony is not repetitive.
Address the problem, possible solutions, and your group's best solution.
Special Needs

If you require special accommodation in order to testify before a committee, please contact the committee administrator or support staff 24 hours BEFORE the meeting with your request.

Contact Numbers: (503) 986-1813 or (503) 986-1187
TDD (503) 986-1467 (inside Salem)
1-800-332-2313 (outside Salem)

ETA: Source www.leg.state.or.us/citizenguide/
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
A lengthy schedule of testimony should help the cause.  I’m not even sure which committee to appear before yet, but this should help the cause a great deal.  

ETA: Source www.leg.state.or.us/citizenguide/

That is EXCELLENT info.. once her bill has been presented, we can deconstruct it and come up with a concise rebuttal. I would love to give testimony in this matter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top