Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2004 5:28:02 AM EDT
Been wanting to dump this 500mhz PentiumIII for something more up to date.  Been looking at some barebones computers and maybe trying to put together one myself.  Been looking on TigerDirect.com at some of their stuff.  Anyone ever buy anything from them or have any other places to look at?  How about some tips from someone thats put together their own computer.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:29:19 AM EDT
[#1]
for a PIII, you're going to have to find something old...   I don't think any of the usual barebones manufacturers will have anything out that will support an old proc.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:33:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Dell 400SC.................
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:36:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
for a PIII, you're going to have to find something old...   I don't think any of the usual barebones manufacturers will have anything out that will support an old proc.

Wasn't wanting to upgrade this one but getting something else.  Like case, motherboard and all the other necessary stuff and putting together another.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:38:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd say get a Dell, but if you want to build one, I would do that instead of getting a "barebones" system, they try and use the cheapest parts they can. Unless you can confirm that it has good parts that work well together, I would build it myself.

Get a good motherboard and check on the manufacturers website for compatible memory.  I built my PC using an Intel board (Part# D875PBZLK) and bought memory listed on thier website as "certified" to work on that board (I used a P4 3.0ghz CPU). The PC is very fast and reliable.

NEWEGG.COM  <---- great place to buy parts. I have never liked TigerDirect.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:47:41 AM EDT
[#5]

I've put together two Soyo barebones systems from tigerdirect. Here's the part number: S450-3080  (just plug it into their search). They have worked out really nice. Fast (depending on how you populate it) and reliable.  It will support up to a 3.2GHz at 800MHz FSB. Shoot me an IM if you're interested in details on how I've got mine set up.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:52:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I used to build computers from internetishop - but recently I've switched to monarch.  Either way you gotta know everything there is to know to make it financially viable.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:00:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'd say get a Dell, but if you want to build one, I would do that instead of getting a "barebones" system, they try and use the cheapest parts they can. Unless you can confirm that it has good parts that work well together, I would build it myself.

Get a good motherboard and check on the manufacturers website for compatible memory.  I built my PC using an Intel board (Part# D875PBZLK) and bought memory listed on thier website as "certified" to work on that board (I used a P4 3.0ghz CPU). The PC is very fast and reliable.

NEWEGG.COM  <---- great place to buy parts. I have never liked TigerDirect.

I built a system based on that MB about seven months ago. I also highly recommend it. You need to make sure you have good cooling. The Intel website has info on what temps need to be maintained within the case. Make sure you get some quiet fans.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:26:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Sharky Extreme value gaming machine (roll your own)
www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/MVGSBG/article.php/3394901
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:34:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Can you tell us a little more, like what you're going to use it for. Are you going to play games like Doom3, and surf the internet, re-calc huge Excel spreadsheets, do Photoshopping etc. and the amount of money you plan to spend.

Personally, for me to start off, I recommend the AMD processors, a much better value than the true Intel CPUs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top