Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2004 10:52:09 PM EDT
I drove my 95 Impala today after getting it back together from the wreck.  I got to get the front end alingned in the morning plus 2 new tires.  Today while driving it the steering got rought and hard to turn, didnt do it when I left the house though.  

I dont see the tires hitting anything, dont hear any noise, and fluid is good.

Any ideas on where to start looking?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:11:14 PM EDT
[#1]
How is the belt that turns the power steering pump? Slippage from a loose belt maybe?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:12:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont think so, I'll go check it during lunch since its cooled down some now.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:13:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:16:00 PM EDT
[#4]
What was damaged in the wreck? Front end? Was the repair done by a professional shop or yourself?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:18:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What was damaged in the wreck? Front end? Was the repair done by a professional shop or yourself?

Done by myself, didnt see anything that was visibly wrong.  it had the inner fender push in where it was rubbing tire after the wreck but thats corrected.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:39:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm... couldnt be too many things causing it. If the power steering belt checks okay and you dont hear any "whine" from the unit while turning the steering wheel its probably not the culprit.

They put some pretty wide meat on those Impalas in that era. I could see where the slightest problem could become amplified by the resistance of the wider tires. If you are taking it in to have it aligned in the morning have them inspect the tie rods etc. while it up on a frame lift. Its got to be something in the steering linkage if the pump and steering box are okay. Take a look at the area where the steering shaft exits the firewall and goes into the steering box. Have a friend help you. Look for bent mechanical connections and listen for strange sounds like groaning or whining while your friend turns the steering wheel back and forth.  Good luck.

ETA: Impala SS Forum
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:17:13 AM EDT
[#7]
With you saying wreck it could have gotten some damage to the ft end. Your pump was getting close to being worn out and along with the added stress of turning an out of wack ft end it gave up the farm. Is the fluid hotter then hell after you drive it for say 10mins and pretty dark that would tell you that (the pump is even moving fluid)and not a sheared key or other. These pumps don't always make noise before and after they go out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:20:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
With you saying wreck it could have gotten some damage to the ft end. Your pump was getting close to being worn out and along with the added stress of turning an out of wack ft end it gave up the farm. Is the fluid hotter then hell after you drive it for say 10mins and pretty dark that would tell you that (the pump is even moving fluid)and not a sheared key or other. These pumps don't always make noise before and after they go out.

I'll check the heat of the fluid after work also.  its got 10" wide tires on it, and turning it when off takes just about everything I have.

I got 2 nasty hits in the front passenger side, I wish I had my big jack to lift it up but its at the house.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:32:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't forgot those pumps have a relief valve usually on the outlet of the pump that can sometimes get shit in them and cause it to dump (hot fluid) but when that happeneds they make alot of noise and you didn't mention noise so I'm going to say pump, and remember just putting another one on without getting your ft. end going true is just going to happen again and again.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:35:09 AM EDT
[#10]
The front end and 2 new tires are on the list for today, (goodbye about $400).  The first wreck threw it out and ate up the tires on the inside within 2 weeks, Second wreck took car off the road, and saved my ass becuase I didnt know those tires were ate up on the inside, until I got under it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:57:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:05:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Before you freak out and get burned on a repair.  Jack the front end up so that both tires are off the ground. By moving the tires by hand, not the steering wheel, check for obstruction or catches.  Manually check the linkage by moving with your hand.  It should move pretty freely but with some force.  If you can find what's hanging up, replace it.  If nothing is hanging then odds are your pump is gone most likely due to overpressure if driven after being wrecked.

PS: Don't forget to use your jack stands, block the rear tires, and recommend a good floor jack or two.

Tj

I got that 3.5 Ton jack from Sams $60, so it will hold it.  If it needs repaired me and a friend will do it I got 20% off parts at Autozone too.  I can see this is going to be an interesting day.....

I hope the bank has some halfdollars.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:13:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Before you freak out and get burned on a repair.  Jack the front end up so that both tires are off the ground. By moving the tires by hand, not the steering wheel, check for obstruction or catches.  Manually check the linkage by moving with your hand.  It should move pretty freely but with some force.  If you can find what's hanging up, replace it.  If nothing is hanging then odds are your pump is gone most likely due to overpressure if driven after being wrecked.

PS: Don't forget to use your jack stands, block the rear tires, and recommend a good floor jack or two.

Tj

I got that 3.5 Ton jack from Sams $60, so it will hold it.  If it needs repaired me and a friend will do it I got 20% off parts at Autozone too.  I can see this is going to be an interesting day.....

I hope the bank has some halfdollars.

I hope your meaning a jack along with some jack stands will hold it up. Never count on a jack without some sort of manual lock to suspend weight over your body and block the tires in the back. Not trying to sound know it all just getting it out there in case your new to the game
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:15:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:16:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I'll borrow some jackstands, if I have to keep it up for awhile, havent had to crawl under it in awhile.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:19:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Repetition never hurts when it comes to safety.

Tj

Too much coffee already sorry
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:49:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top