Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2004 8:28:38 PM EDT
I can't find the receipt to two of my rifles.  Other than needed that for insurance purposes, how would not having the bill of sale/receipt be a problem?  And what about if you didn't have the receipt for you AR?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Were they bought on yellow form?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:30:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Who frigging cares?  It's mine unless you can prove otherwise.  We can buy used guns all day long face to face anyway.  Anything I bought on a yellow form is in the .gov database.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think you need them in Utah, I dont know for sure though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:31:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
 Anything I bought on a yellow form is in the .gov database.

That's the idea.  If it's on yellow form he has proof it's his shit.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Who frigging cares?  It's mine unless you can prove otherwise.  We can buy used guns all day long face to face anyway.  Anything I bought on a yellow form is in the .gov database.

Those records are supposedly destroyed on the .gov level though.

The problem is, I'm not sure if they actually do.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Will one rifle was bought from a gunshop (yellow form I guess) and the other from a friend of mine whos is an FFL dealer.  Damn, now I'm looking ALL OVER the place for the receipts.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those records are supposedly destroyed though.

Something tells me that any info the man collects is on a hard drive somewhere.  regardless of what the man says.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:33:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Yellow 4473 is kept by the dealer and surrendered to the BATF when he is no longer licensed.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:34:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will one rifle was bought from a gunshop (yellow form I guess) and the other from a friend of mine whos is an FFL dealer.  Damn, now I'm looking ALL OVER the place for the receipts.

Not that it's gonna help U now but I keep all my recipts in a manilla folder in my safe.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Steyr:  So should I just jot down the serial numbers on the rifles along with the make and model?  Would that suffice for ownership?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:35:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yellow 4473 is kept by the dealer and surrendered to the BATF when he is no longer licensed.

Yeah, I corrected my post after realizing that dealers keep records.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Or destroyed after 10 years..... and BATF never sees it.

Who cares about a bill of sale.  I dont have ANY receipts or paperwork in my possesion for ANY of my guns.... not a single one.  Wouldnt really want any either.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

4473's are retained by the dealer.  They don't go in a data base.  Some states have their own forms that go to the state (those might end up in a database).  Dealers archive the 4473's and are required to ship them to ATF if and or when they go out of business.  As Far as I know they are just archived.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I corrected my post after realizing that dealers keep records.

So, I can just go back to the respective places I bought each of my rifles and ask for a copy???
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:38:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:38:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:48:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Steyr:  I wasn't asking for any particular reason, but since I couldn't find the damn receipts I started to think about a couple of what if scenarios:

*What if I used the firearm for protection at home?  How could I PROVE it was mine to the cops?

*What if it was stolen?  (But Steyr stated that video would cover this.)

I guess I'm just OCD when it comes to having certain paperwork.  How I lost these receipts is beyond me and it's driving me crazy.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is when would NOT having receipts for a firearm be a bad thing?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#21]
If your firearm in question is ever banned by the state and theres a registration period, you might just get fucked if you don't have the bill of sale.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
If your firearm in question is ever banned by the state and theres a registration period, you might just get fucked if you don't have the bill of sale.

Yep, that's another "what if?"
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:01:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually it is now 20 years. But all other info is correct.

20 years damn, thats a long time, what happens if you get out of the business and you surrender those forms to the ATF what do they do with them??
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:12:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Something tells me that any info the man collects is on a hard drive somewhere.  regardless of what the man says.

Guys the ONLY info they have is that you bought either a "handgun" or a "long gun" on that date.

They have no idea if it was one Mossberg pump or 5 AR15s.

I thought I heard that they don't even keep that information anymore. supposedly they purge your info 24 hours after the proceed response
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:36:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually it is now 20 years. But all other info is correct.

Oh shit when did that happen?

And is it retroactive?

What a bunch of crap!

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:51:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:53:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:54:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:56:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:00:42 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Who cares about a bill of sale.  I dont have ANY receipts or paperwork in my possesion for ANY of my guns.... not a single one.  Wouldnt really want any either.

+1
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:03:09 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top