Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/9/2004 2:49:03 PM EDT
I posted this earlier

Two days ago as I was going to bed I noticed my left "big toe" was twiching(actually, that muscle on the side that pulls the bigtoe outward). Well, It kept me up again last night and now its even began twitching during the day!

Is this sort of thing normal guys?

Is this the begining of Parkinsons or some kind of neuro-muscular disorder?

Please help as I'm a hypochondriac (poor college student who can't afford to go to the doctor over a little twich) and my mind is blowing this way out of proportion hopefully.

I think its getting worse.  I feel tired and shaky, and my muscles "tingle", also, I have had slight spazms in other muscles.

My name is James Bonner, I'm 23 and just married, please pray for me!

do i have parkinsons

Thank you,

James
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:51:46 PM EDT
[#1]
go see a docter before making any conclusions
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:51:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you gone to the DOCTOR yet?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#3]
No not yet, what type of doctor do I need to see?  General practicioner?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Could be something as simple as a pinched nerve.

Don’t panic go to the doctor and find out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you obese?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Are you obese?

no, I am 6' 200lb very muscular
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#7]
You got a brain tumor man, na just fucking with ya.
I would be willing to be 1 of 3 things.
Sleeping on something and pinching nerves.
Not giving your body enough time to relax, so it is stressed out.
Eating too much of something or doing too many drugs.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are you obese?

no, I am 6' 200lb very muscular

Get off the juice then thats the problem
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:57:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Start by seeing a GP to get a basic eval done.

DON'T start playing the "what if" game in your head, it will eat you alive.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I pray that you go see a real doctor.  A GP would be a good place to start.

Does your college have a health center?  Use that if they do.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:58:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I pray that you go see a real doctor.  A GP would be a good place to start.

Does your college have a health center?  Use that if they do.

I think it does, I will check that out

thank you
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Dude, if you could see my hands twitch sometimes you'd think they were possessed. It comes from years of guitar playing, the nodes on your spine program themselves to play and then when you stop or don't play for a while they try to de-program themselves and one hand or the other will twitch up a storm.  What you have sounds like a pinched nerve to me, totally different then my problem. You need to see a Nerogelogist(sic)and let them track it down and fix it. Just stay calm and don't freak out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey, I hear ya, man.  If I had any medical ailments, the first place I'd go is arfcom - definitely not the doctor.  

Please seek medical help.  If its that unnerving, the ER is open 24/7/365.

This wouldn't be a big deal but you sound like you're freaking out - address this immediately.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#14]
drink a gallon of water
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
drink a gallon of water

And eat some bananas.

This was suggested in your other post - did you do that?

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:06:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I've had all these symptoms - to the letter, and more. I was also getting headaches at the time, and that scared the SHIT out of me. Thought excatly the same thing - must be Parkinson's or a brain tumor. Like I said before on your other thread, check it out with a neurologist if you're concerned.

I went through all the tests, MRI, you name it. NO cause.

It was all stress. Headaches were actually from eyestrain, fixed with glasses. In fact, once I knew the symptoms weren't from some fatal disease, they all but vanished.

There's a good chance something similar is going on with you. But see a doctor.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a problem with my hand shaking a few years ago.  It turned out to be a pinched nerve in my neck so don't worry yourself sick.  
I will pray for you but I'm gonna feel stupid asking the god to make sure "Freakzilla" is okay.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:12:22 PM EDT
[#18]
"These Western doctors, all they want to do is cut, cut, cut...wait two weeks, penis fall off all by itself."
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:12:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I've had all these symptoms - to the letter, and more. I was also getting headaches at the time, and that scared the SHIT out of me. Thought excatly the same thing - must be Parkinson's or a brain tumor. Like I said before on your other thread, check it out with a neurologist if you're concerned.

I went through all the tests, MRI, you name it. NO cause.

It was all stress. Headaches were actually from eyestrain, fixed with glasses. In fact, once I knew the symptoms weren't from some fatal disease, they all but vanished.

There's a good chance something similar is going on with you. But see a doctor.

wow, just wow

I have been stressing out lately, I thought an ingrown hair was genital herpes on the honeymoon that was three weeks ago.

I will see a doctor at school tomarrow if I can
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I had a problem with my hand shaking a few years ago.  It turned out to be a pinched nerve in my neck so don't worry yourself sick.  
I will pray for you but I'm gonna feel stupid asking the god to make sure "Freakzilla" is okay.

my name is James Bonner, please pray for me
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#21]
You got it James.  I'm sure the big guy knows who freakzilla is tho.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Thank you everyone
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:39:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Take your vitamins.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Take your vitamins.

I take a multi-vitamin every day, and eat right most of the time
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:42:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Lyme disease?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:45:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Lyme disease?

I did go camping just last saturday, and I did get some very small ticks on me, thought I got them all off though
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#27]
... Chill dude, you'll be fine. Quit acting like my momma. Suck it up, it will pass.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:48:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I just googled lyme disease, symptoms do not match at all
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm gonna chalk this one up with stupidity.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:50:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
... Chill dude, you'll be fine. Quit acting like my momma. Suck it up, it will pass.

Dude, I'm a hypochondriac, just pray for me OK, please, I can't help being like this since my grandad passed away

On second thought, that was helpful
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#31]
If it is stress related, and you are stressing about it you are only going to make things worse.  Goto a doctor.  

I prayed for you.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
If it is stress related, and you are stressing about it you are only going to make things worse.  Goto a doctor.  

I prayed for you.

Thank you tfod, I believe in prayer too
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:56:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Go see your GP. If things are that bad he will refer you you to a neurologist.

They'll perform all the needed tests to diagnose and treat.

You drink a lot of coffee?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:57:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Do you get enough potassium? A lack of it will cause muscle spasms, go to a doctor so he can charge you $1,800 to tell you you're fine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#35]
yeah man, check out your school's health services- i'm up at mtsu and i can go to the doctor anytime, it's usually free with no insurance even required.

i'll keep you in prayer.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:12:17 PM EDT
[#36]

This is most likely a benign normal situation.   It may be something called muscular fasciculations, which may be bad or good depending on the situation.  If the condition goes away after a couple of weeks, don't worry about it.  I have had twitches that lasted 1 to 2 weeks in every part of my body (feet, biceps, triceps, shoulder, chest, hand, etc).  I have had these twitches since I was a teenager (I am now 42).  I am very active physically which may be a causal factor.

DEFINITION: source Merck Manual-- The most common extraneous movements are fasciculations (brief,  fine, irregular twitches of muscle under the skin).  Fasciculations usually indicate disease of the lower motor neuron, but can sometimes occur in normal muscle, particularly in the calves of older people.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Sounds like Anxiety to me!  I get muscle twitch's if I stress out and worry about shit especially if I don't sleep well and to top it off I drink lots of coffee.

Stop worrying about shit, my brother was all stressed out a few years ago and had an Anxiety attack, he thought was having a heart attack.  Get out and do something to relax.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I just googled lyme disease, symptoms do not match at all

STOP researching things yourself. You'll make your anxiety worse.

Let the doctors handle it, to start.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#39]
It's most likely a nervous "tic", but it could be some of the other things mentioned, or too much caffeine... consult your MD, as taking internet medical advice is like finding and taking medicine you find laying on the street. Tics, BTW, can move around...
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#40]
It's probably a brain tumor.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#41]
More than likley it is nothing at all.  
But to be on the safe side get it checked out as soon as possible at the university health clinic.  If you cant afford it they can tack it to your tuition, and if you are on student loans it should get taken care of.  I had a roomate years ago whos leg on the topside of the calf right under the backside of the kneecap twitched.  It turned out to be a tumor,  he had to have part of the leg removed, but can still, thankfully, function normally now.
Check it out just to be sure.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:54:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Take comfort in the fact that at your age, a miniscule fraction of the population is afflicted with fatal diseases.  In other words, there is almost certainly nothing serious wrong with you.  As others have said, go to the doctor for the final assurance, but the odds are so far in your favor as to be almost a sure thing.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:54:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:57:29 PM EDT
[#44]
My wife twitches a little like that she has for years and years . Doc said it was nerves ???????
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:14:12 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
It's probably a brain tumor.

[schwarzenegger]... It's naught a tooma [/schwarzenegger]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Those symptoms sound a lot like what my wife had 15 years ago. Took her to the Doc..he prescribed some pills...can't remember what they were. He also told her to eat bananas for the potassium...at least 2 per day. She followed his advice and it went away rather quickly. However, since then she swings from the tree limbs in the neighborhood when we are out for daily walks, walks bowlegged and has grown a crap load of hair on her legs and hands which drag on the ground. She also changed her name from Harriet to just Hairy Harry. But, on the bright side...she is my big Harry.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:16:43 PM EDT
[#47]
You are on my prayer list.  Take it easy and don't worry so much.  It will only make matters worse.

I have a co-worker in Germany who just went though a very similar situation.  He thought he had all kinds of problems.  He was diagnosed with excessive stress.

Take it easy and give your troubles to the Lord.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:17:59 PM EDT
[#48]
See the doc. My wife had similar symptons. She has been diagnosed with Parkinsons as of 2 weeks ago. It's like a kick right square in the gut.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:18:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Your married?

I was always told twiching like that was a sign that your gay.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#50]
thanks everyone!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top