Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/26/2024 12:05:04 PM EDT
Well, technically dad's property, but it'll be mine.

I found 5 fucking tree stands without trying.  I'm sure there's more.

What are my options here?  Destroy them?  Take them down and put a letter on the tree saying where to get them?

After the GD answers, I'll call the deer cops and ask them.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:06:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Put notes telling them they are trespassing and give them a date they need to be gone. Maybe even a Schematic to show how they are on private property.

This way they are aware.

Or take them but they will just be back assuming another Hunter stole it
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:06:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like you got yourself some new tree stands!

Seriously though, make sure the property is properly marked as no trespassing and then set some game cams out to try and catch them. Personally, I'd warn them first and document it but if they return the cops would definitely be notified.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:07:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like your dad just got a bunch of free tree stands.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:08:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Make sure your dad didn’t give someone permission

If not

Profit

Also OP…..I could use a good deal on some treestands
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:08:45 PM EDT
[#5]
What do you do with lost or abandoned property?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd remove them and leave a notice and how to find you to get their shit back.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Abandoned property on my land?

I'd cut it into manageable sized pieces and take it to the dump.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#8]
A few years ago I got a free feeder and some trail cams that way.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#10]
land mines under the legs?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:12:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Remove them and leave no trespassing signs in their place.

If it continues, well, it’s an armed intruder on your property, you’re free to react accordingly…
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:12:57 PM EDT
[#13]
What I do on my land is leave a note in a zip lock bag saying where the stand is and I give them 30 days.   After the 30 days, I sell them.   In 8 years I have had 1 guy come to claim his (Lone Wolf Climber that was ratchet strapped in place).  I got his name and address and told.him.if it happened again, I would file trespassing charges
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Dynamite them, that's what some state (MN, WI?) does.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Probably not a lot for scrap value but might be worth something to whomever left them
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Cut them all up and leave a note with them sitting at the base of the tree

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:16:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Just got off the phone with the pagc.  Waiting for a warden to call back.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Two people have permission to hunt and they stop in every hunting season to say thank you and give deer meat.

Haven't seen them in years.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd be interested to hear what you get back from the game warden.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are they scratch built or commercial types?

I would remove them and put up no trespassing signs on the trees they were in. I would not mention stands or be any more specific other then noting its private property etc ..... Its your property, they are trespassing, simple.
If commercial stands, Id give them to the warden in the event they come looking for them. They can go get them back from him and explain why they were trespassing.
View Quote

This is the way I would handle it too.

I had a neighbor that had quite a bit of property far from his home. He couldn't adequately patrol the woods and keep other hunters out.

He solved this problem by allowing ONE person to hunt his property. In return, he gave that person authority to run out all other people.

If I had sole rights to hunt a prize piece of property, you better believe I would guard that like Ft. Knox gold.

Never an issue after that.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Had that happen on my dad’s land (now mine). Put up no trespassing signs on the trees and more frequently along the road. No more problems. We also have a couple local guys come check on the property all the time.

They take deer with my permission so, they have a vested interest.  .
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#22]
When we had that happen we took them down and moved them to a different property of ours.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:22:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:23:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd fully disassemble and put em in a pile by the entrance. Maybe throw a note on the tree too, but you know no one is going to see that note for about 6 months.

You could also strip em down to nuts and bolts and baggie up the small parts and just leave them by their respective trees. Alternatively, you could mix them up and put disassembled bits sprinkled across all 5 stands trees. That'd be pretty hilarious until the guys came back and burned the place down some night.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:23:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Two people have permission to hunt and they stop in every hunting season to say thank you and give deer meat.

View Quote

Critical omission.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone remember that Darren McGavin movie “The Challenge “?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Put notes telling them they are trespassing and give them a date they need to be gone. Maybe even a Schematic to show how they are on private property.

This way they are aware.

Or take them but they will just be back assuming another Hunter stole it
View Quote

I’d give them one chance. Chances are they know they are tress passing, and hopefully they will leave.  If not, keep them.

A friend that I used to hunt with got us onto his uncles property for archery only. The uncle also gave a couple of the neighbors permission to bow hunt only. As the property was only open to his children for gun season.

His children didn't know this, got pissed, and trashed all the neighbors stands. Now the neighbors are pissed and stopped helping the old man around his farm.

Everyone lost.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#28]
You found free tree stands.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Hang them upside down, but put a chain and lock on them when you do.

Then set up a camera.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Lucky. No one ever gifts me free tree stands.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This is the way I would handle it too.

I had a neighbor that had quite a bit of property far from his home. He couldn't adequately patrol the woods and keep other hunters out.

He solved this problem by allowing ONE person to hunt his property. In return, he gave that person authority to run out all other people.

If I had sole rights to hunt a prize piece of property, you better believe I would guard that like Ft. Knox gold.

Never an issue after that.
View Quote

I did the same thing. Former co-worker wanted to hunt my property and I gave him written permission and a key to the gate.

He lives less than a mile from the property and has run off all the poachers plus he keeps the trails cleared. It has worked out really well.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Anyone remember that Darren McGavin movie "The Challenge "?
View Quote
Yep

Darren McGavin seemed like an odd casting choice for that role but it was an entertaining movie.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Burn them.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Put a nice dollop of pepper spray onto the seating and touching surfaces.  The hottest you can find.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Have the same problem on my farm in PA.  Make sure the no trespassing markings are legal.  Note there was a change to the marking law a few years ago that now allows you use purple paint instead of signs - the paint is faster/easier/cheaper than signs and the paint cannot be removed by nefarious trespassers like a sign can.  If you paint IAW the law it is legally binding just like signs are.  

Then take the treestands down.  
If they're store-bought sell them on facebook with a clear indication of pickup location so that the trespassers might see them and contact you.  
If they're wood cut/burn the wood enough so it can't be reused.  If they're made from store bought lumber take the wood if you have a use for it.  

I've been known to go for walks through the woods with a dog and some cans to shoot on opening day when I know there are poachers in the area.
The gun season is so short that ruining their hunting day is sometimes more satisfying than calling the game warden.  

If rural, get in good with the troopers and game wardens in your area.  They're usually helpful and love to catch actual trespassers and poachers, doubly so when your markings are 100% legit because it makes their case air-tight.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:45:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Critical omission.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Critical omission.

Not really

The two people with permission actively communicate and let us know what's going on
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Put a toe popper under the seat.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:53:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Your property,  so they are your property.   Sell them, use them, abuse them.....whatever you fancy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Not really

The two people with permission actively communicate and let us know what's going on
View Quote

You said you haven’t seen them in years.

So are you currently talking to them or have they disappeared?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#40]
When we find them on our lease, which is posted so heavy that ray charles could follow our property line btw, we take the ladder and leave the seat strapped to the tree with a note letting them now where they can come get the ladders. We have never had anyone come get them. Free tree stands it is...
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#41]
One could be an honest mistake and I'd take it down and leave a note.  5 is a whole other level, you don't "accidentally" put 5 stands on land you don't own.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Are these old permanent stands or commercial ones?

If removable ones, why are they set up now….in April?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Depends on your plans. If you want to hunt, take them down and leave a note with your info.

If you don't, see if you can lease the property to them if you don't need use of it.

If you want no hunting or trespassing, just do the first thing and let them get them when they come out assuming you have the room.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really

Vanished.  I'm beginning to think they passed away
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:55:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Yeah I'd leave a note in the stand and put no trespassing signs up, and also hide game cams to cover them. They come read the note/signs and either get their stands and leave, or ignore them. Whichever they do, you have it on video and can take appropriate action.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:56:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Send them a message by cutting down the trees with the stands still attached.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Remove them, and leave a note that reads "You chose....poorly".
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Remove them and leave no trespassing signs in their place.

View Quote

Or you can take them to the property line where they probably entered with a no trespassing sign.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:58:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yep

Darren McGavin seemed like an odd casting choice for that role but it was an entertaining movie.
View Quote

For some reason the razor blades in the tree scene stuck with me. I had a hard time with him in that roll as well: Pretty sure I saw the movie after Kolchak
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Dig holes next to each stand as a prep.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top