Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2004 3:41:16 PM EDT
I'm at a crossroads....

I've got a decent number of rifles/pistols/shotguns.  Not nearly as many as many on this board but :
3 AR's, an M14, FAL, G3, AK, .308 Bolt gun, 10/22, 870, Saiga 12 on the way, USP45, Glock 30, Glock 22, Ruger MKII, Sig 226, Charles Daly 1911, and a Kel Tec P11

Now, only the .308 bolt gun has decent optics (Leupold VXIII).  I've got 2 other crapy scopes, one on the 10/22 and another 4x12x40 Tasco on an old Savage 30,06.

Should I put some money away for an Aimpoint or Acog for one of my HDR's?

Everytime a save up $400 or so for optics, I get the feeling that I better buy an AK before they are banned.  Or I better get that Saiga 12  before it's reclassified as a D.D.

Anyone else do this?

So what should I buy gun wise before I start getting the optics?  Or should I go ahead and get an Aimpoint for my next toy?

edited because I forgot my 1911.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#1]
You can't go wrong with reaally good optics.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Optics.

My Elcan costs more than the AR it's mounted on.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:49:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Optics.

My Elcan costs more than the AR it's mounted on.

Don't the Dutch get a cut rate on ELCAN's?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I wish

... I think you only get the special secret discount if you're Dutch-Canadien
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:52:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish

... I think you only get the special secret discount if you're Dutch-Canadien

Thats a rare animal right there.

I am nosing around for one of the new ELCAN's, supposed to beat the hell out of the old ones I have.  Any sources?

(three light sources, very cool).
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Aren't ELCAN's calibrated for the L1A1?
Can you get 5.56 cams for it?

I've got rails on my Ohio Rapid Fire FAL Carbine, My G3 and all 3 AR's.  Mabye I could share an Elcan between them if you can switch out the cams for 7.62 and 5.56.

I'm sure that I would have to re sight it in for each gun but I bet switching it between AR's I could still be minute of chest at 50 yards without rezeroing it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Aren't ELCAN's calibrated for the L1A1?
Can you get 5.56 cams for it?

There's an Elcan for the Diemaco C7, so it's definitely calibrated for the 5.56mm.  (The C-7 with Elcan is standard issue for the Danish Army, so I'm paticularly attached to it , even though it was after my time).

Hielo - I don't know much about new version of the Elcan, since I've got no immediate plans to replace mine, so I haven't kept up.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Am I really the first one to respond with GET BOTH?  I'm actually going to be counter and say get the AK.  You really shouldn't be without one.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't see optics getting banned anytime soon.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Optics.  Its usually the case that you find a great gun deal, then have nothing to scope it with.  Buy a good scope for the next "good deal" that walks into your door!  That's just my suggestion atleast!

I just did this with a Leupold 8.5-25x50LR M1 mil dot.  I can probably find an interim home for it, but it doesn't have a permanent home as of right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top