Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2004 2:35:00 PM EDT
Turners has them on sale this week.

www.turners.com/engage/displayad.php?H=1&m1=September&m2=September&d1=9&d2=15&img=ads/09-09-04/llama.gif

I know for that price it's not going to be a Kimber or Springfield but money is tight right now and I want a full-sized .45 in the collection "just because".

What say the Hive Mind?  Junk or OK?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Good question.

I've often looked at them at gun shows.  The price sure is right.

I've never owned one, but have heard that they are jam-o-matics.

The question is:  Are they really bad, or is it just an oft-repeated rumor.

I am also interested.  For facts from actual experience, not second-hand information.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:44:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked up one for $100 that a fellow disassembled and couldn't get back together (I did).

One neat thing about the LLAMA is that the firing pin safety is actuated by the Grip Safety and not by the trigger.  This means you can replace the hammer, sear and disconnector with "high end" parts (those three are interchangeable) and get a really nice trigger, and still have a firing pin spring.

The idea, methinks, is that if you're holding the gun so as to have the grip safety depressed, you ought to have it pointed in the right direction.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Not sure about the .45 but the  Bersa.380 has worked flawless that I bought my wife. Good gun. Well-made and tight. I have put about 1,000 rounds through it with no hitches or hiccups. Again, well-made weapon IMO.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I picked up one for $100 that a fellow disassembled and couldn't get back together (I did).

One neat thing about the LLAMA is that the firing pin safety is actuated by the Grip Safety and not by the trigger.  This means you can replace the hammer, sear and disconnector with "high end" parts (those three are interchangeable) and get a really nice trigger, and still have a firing pin spring.

The idea, methinks, is that if you're holding the gun so as to have the grip safety depressed, you ought to have it pointed in the right direction.

Just don't ever goof up that pin when you take the slide off....

I have a micromax .380 that uses the same firing pin safety setup.  I bent the hell out of it the first time I tried to take the pistol apart.  I managed to get it reshaped and working, but ordered a replacement anyway.  Now it's fine.   Interesting little gun.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Found this while Googling:

www.packing.org/news/article.jsp/8064/

Llama .45 Pistols

Added by cooperfan on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 at 1:49 PM

I have owned several Llamas over the years, including my present Mini-Max .45 and Max-I L/F. These guns are way more than worth the money, although they usually require a little tinkering to get 100% reliability of function. If you own a set of needle files and a dremel tool, you can turn your $250 Llama into a piece that will function right up there with a $3000 custom 1911 in about 30 minutes. First, polish the feed ramp. Then, with the slide off, push the barrel all the way back in the frame and make sure the bottom edge of the barrel doesn't extend beyond the feed ramp. If it does, file it off until it is even or maybe 1/32" short, and polish it to a mirror finish like the feed ramp. Voila... your gun will now feed everything, including empty cases and cigar butts. If Colt-style clips won't stay put, remove the magazine catch and with a drill bit of proper size, hand ream the opposite side of the frame through the hole provided for the magazine catch. Don't go nuts on it... just fix it to where the edge of the magazine catch on the off side of the frame doesn't stick out with a clip in place. Your Colt clips will never fall out again. $250 for a .45, and 30 minutes of hand work, and you can't beat this piece for reliability. I love 'em.

-Htrisler

That's kinda what I had in mind when I saw the ad and the price.  Something that a little work (and maybe a few upgraded parts) could turn into a gem.

I really hope there's someone here that's had better luck than Mike did.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:02:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:14:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a LLAMA Mini Max II ( key word had) bought it new in the box. It was a total POS, Tryed several mags and different brands of ammo it would still FTF every 2 or 3 rounds.  Maybe goverment model is better who knows..
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#12]
My first pistol that I owned is a Llama Colt clone in 9mm that I bought back in 1983. It hasn't run perfect all these years but I would be comfortable carrying it now. Think I paid $215 for it at a gun store and with the nice blueing job and adjustable rear sites and fancy wood grips it was a good buy. It's still one of my favorite shooters, it actually likes and groups better with some hotter reloads, but I keep the charge down just to keep wear and tear down.
 As far as cheap 45's, try and find a Norinco, I've had 2 NIB that ate everything and all your Colt and aftermarket parts interchange. Good pistols, both.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top