Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/22/2024 8:19:04 PM EDT
The trouble in Antarctica started in Boston. It was August 1999, and Stanford geologist Jane Willenbring was then a 22-year-old self-described "country bumpkin." She had just arrived to start her master's in earth science at Boston University. As an undergrad with an oboe scholarship at North Dakota State University, she'd studied beetle fossils found in Antarctica and learned how, millions of years ago, the now frozen continent once pooled with freshwater lakes. "That's not so different from the conditions we might expect in the future," she says. She wanted to explore this critical science. "It seemed really important for future global climate change," she says.

Of all the geologists, few were more renowned than the one Willenbring had gone to Boston to study under: 37-year-old David Marchant. Marchant, a scruffy professor at BU, was a rock star of rock study. He was part of a research group that rewrote Antarctic history by discovering evidence of volcanic ash, which showed that Antarctica had been stable for millions of years and was not as prone to cycles of warming and cooling as many thought. To honor his achievements, the US Board on Geographic Names approved the naming of a glacier southwest of McMurdo Station, the main research base on Antarctica, after him.

Willenbring says Marchant had insisted on picking her up at the airport, an offer she thought was nice but strange. It got stranger when he started making her feel bad for his gesture, which she hadn't asked for. "I'm missing a Red Sox game," she recalls him chiding her. "You really should have picked a better time to fly." He asked whether she had a boyfriend, how often she saw him, and whether she knew anyone in Boston or would be alone. In a few months, she'd be heading with him on a research trip to Antarctica and the region with his big chunk of namesake ice. "It was almost like a pickup line," she recalls, "'I have a glacier.'"

moar

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Trust the science
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#2]
A rock star of rock study

Damn dude, save some pussy for the rest of us
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like the firing itself was political axe to grind.

In November 2017, Boston University concluded that Marchant had sexually harassed Willenbring, but not others.
Marchant was fired by Boston University in 2019, where he was a faculty member in the Department of Earth & Environment in the College of Arts & Sciences. While a five-member BU faculty panel recommended that Marchant be suspended for three years without pay, the university president, Robert A. Brown made the determination to fire Marchant.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_R._Marchant
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#4]
News flash. There are creepy fucks everywhere that want to get laid. Even in science.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:34:42 PM EDT
[#5]
peeing into a bottle with an erection
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:38:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Global warming came up twice in the first few paragraphs. Not surprised.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Stopped reading when no one mentioned any flamethrowers or issues with Swedes.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#8]
So this isn't about them getting attacked by swarms of vicious penguins? I am disappoint.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Grad students never engage in sexual activities while conducting field research
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:53:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Rock Stars of Academia.

Prof. Jones, I presume
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:54:40 PM EDT
[#11]
The icecap is going to melt by the the it takes to finish reading the novel the op linked.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Beretta_Jerry:
The icecap is going to melt by the the it takes to finish reading the novel the op linked.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Let me guess

After his firing he was replaced by a DEI hire!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:00:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 762xIAN:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/63650/Mac_jpg-3195454.JPG
View Quote

They’re Norwegian, Mac.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#16]
She had me at "country blumpkin."
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:07:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: benbob] [#17]

View Quote

They're Norwegian Mac.

Lol, beat like a rented mule.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:07:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CastleBravo91] [#18]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
The trouble in Antarctica started in Boston. It was August 1999, and Stanford geologist Jane Willenbring was then a 22-year-old self-described "country bumpkin." She had just arrived to start her master's in earth science at Boston University. As an undergrad with an oboe scholarship at North Dakota State University, she'd studied beetle fossils found in Antarctica and learned how, millions of years ago, the now frozen continent once pooled with freshwater lakes. "That's not so different from the conditions we might expect in the future," she says. She wanted to explore this critical science. "It seemed really important for future global climate change," she says.

Of all the geologists, few were more renowned than the one Willenbring had gone to Boston to study under: 37-year-old David Marchant. Marchant, a scruffy professor at BU, was a rock star of rock study. He was part of a research group that rewrote Antarctic history by discovering evidence of volcanic ash, which showed that Antarctica had been stable for millions of years and was not as prone to cycles of warming and cooling as many thought. To honor his achievements, the US Board on Geographic Names approved the naming of a glacier southwest of McMurdo Station, the main research base on Antarctica, after him.

Willenbring says Marchant had insisted on picking her up at the airport, an offer she thought was nice but strange. It got stranger when he started making her feel bad for his gesture, which she hadn't asked for. "I'm missing a Red Sox game," she recalls him chiding her. "You really should have picked a better time to fly." He asked whether she had a boyfriend, how often she saw him, and whether she knew anyone in Boston or would be alone. In a few months, she'd be heading with him on a research trip to Antarctica and the region with his big chunk of namesake ice. "It was almost like a pickup line," she recalls, "'I have a glacier.'"

moar

View Quote

Because of the bolded part...
Run Bitch Run! HE GON KILL YOU!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:12:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HKocher] [#19]
Disappointed, read the title and was expecting this:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:16:21 PM EDT
[#20]

I'm going to start calling myself Tonka.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Interesting article. I can see it... I met that guy when I interviewed at BU for a PhD in his same department. The only thing I remember was that he was very cocky and full of himself.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#22]
So bosses can be abusive dicks in academia as well? Welcome to the real world snowflake. I skimmed the article and didn’t really see any sexual harassment. Some dude, that this chick was sharing a tent with, had to pee in the middle of the night and she caught a glimpse of a rock hard wiener. The horror! They’re stuck on Antarctica living in tents for months at a time with limited resources. I’d expect that normal office etiquette doesn’t really apply there.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:26:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Jane is a solid Antarctica deployment 8.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#24]
There are no panserbjørne in Antarctica.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Romano316:

They’re Norwegian, Mac.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Romano316:

They’re Norwegian, Mac.

"Hey Sweden!"
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#26]
They finally planted the MeToo flag on the last continent and they only had to go back a quarter century.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:32:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vague] [#27]
Imagine, losing your job for that chick
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:36:05 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm sorry, but if the stuff in the story supposed to be the sensational part, it certainly doesn't sound like much.

My wife's unfortunate looking friend as taken jobs in Antarctica and other isolated locals just to try and find someone desperate enough.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:44:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Terriblis:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/551902/th-3041492162_jpg-3195492.JPG
View Quote

Snow queen!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Eh....I've seen it.  Lots of PhDs (mainly Hard Science and Engineering) who basically grew up in the Nerd Ghetto, bereft of female companionship.....and them getting Grad Student RAs or other such field subordinates is really the first time they've been in close quarters with females....and they are In Charge.

Not a few of them don't handle themselves well, and go from "Academic/Professional Mentor" to "Bad Touch Soccer Coach" in a hot minute.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:47:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By only1asterisk:

My wife's unfortunate looking friend as taken jobs in Antarctica and other isolated locals just to try and find someone desperate enough.
View Quote

Wow.

(PM me her number, but it's gonna be nasty!).  

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:31:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By HKocher:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83/IMG_3149_jpeg-3195471.JPG
View Quote

Also thought this was going to be another AvP thread
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By PacNW5:

Also thought this was going to be another AvP thread
View Quote

Well, if the chicks are illegals it would be.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:53:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Ice wives. It’s a thing.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:14:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By RRA_223:

Wow.

(PM me her number, but it's gonna be nasty!).  

View Quote

Hell yeah Brother!!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:35:21 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

This dude has been places.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By HKocher:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83/IMG_3149_jpeg-3195471.JPG
View Quote
soon. just havent gotten deep enough there yet
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:42:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#38]
Oh no, a college professor hit on an underling? Isn’t there an old premise with this?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:55:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
View Quote

With their professors either.  I mean, that would be wrong.  Gets cold in Antarctica.  And boring.  Not having read the article, I hope he at least wrote her a good recommendation for her post-doc, or lower level co-authorship on a paper...

Totally coincidental that so many law school profs ended up marrying their students.  (Not that law school is grad school.  And competitions aren't field work.  But still..)

Don't we have some Scott or McMurdo overwinter vets among Arf?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:18:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
View Quote
I read somewhere that all of the men and women there are fucking each other, regardless of marital status. Probably a bit of an exaggeration, but it's probably prevalent.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:24:39 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

They're not swedish Mac they're Norwegian
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:44:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By konger:
So bosses can be abusive dicks in academia as well? Welcome to the real world snowflake. I skimmed the article and didn’t really see any sexual harassment. Some dude, that this chick was sharing a tent with, had to pee in the middle of the night and she caught a glimpse of a rock hard wiener. The horror! They’re stuck on Antarctica living in tents for months at a time with limited resources. I’d expect that normal office etiquette doesn’t really apply there.
View Quote

Aye, many moons ago I worked for an “adventure” travel agency, the female guides told me about places like Nepal, where there is absolutely nothing to hide behind when you have to crap.

Everyone sees some shit.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:50:21 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote
Umm ..
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:51:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Stopped reading when she would wake up to the brother peeing with an erection....

I know someone that went to Antarctica for years.  She was a looker, but now looks 20 yrs older than she is.  Prob weather, smoking, and drinking took their toll.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:37:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BFskinner] [#45]
Originally Posted By Fulcrum-5:
Eh....I've seen it.  Lots of PhDs (mainly Hard Science and Engineering) who basically grew up in the Nerd Ghetto, bereft of female companionship.....and them getting Grad Student RAs or other such field subordinates is really the first time they've been in close quarters with females....and they are In Charge.

Not a few of them don't handle themselves well, and go from "Academic/Professional Mentor" to "Bad Touch Soccer Coach" in a hot minute.
View Quote

20 or 30 years ago half of the male faculty were married to their former graduate students.  Probably because they were the only women those male faculty ever saw on a regular basis and the weird personality issues that would have ruined a normal relationship were mutual.  

Today, graduate students get uncomfortable even having a beer around faculty members and while some faculty have a reputation for being a bit pervy even those know better than to hit on a student and get themselves fired.  A lot less targets anyway as about 50% of the female graduate students identify as nonbinary or lesbians and a fair number of those that identify as female are not sporting two X chromosomes.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:53:26 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Any port in a storm.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By only1asterisk:
I'm sorry, but if the stuff in the story supposed to be the sensational part, it certainly doesn't sound like much.

View Quote
pics of unfortunate looking friend?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By BFskinner:

20 or 30 years ago half of the male faculty were married to their former graduate students.  Probably because they were the only women those male faculty ever saw on a regular basis and the weird personality issues that would have ruined a normal relationship were mutual.  

Today, graduate students get uncomfortable even having a beer around faculty members and while some faculty have a reputation for being a bit pervy even those know better than to hit on a student and get themselves fired.  A lot less targets anyway as about 50% of the female graduate students identify as nonbinary or lesbians and a fair number of those that identify as female are not sporting two X chromosomes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BFskinner:
Originally Posted By Fulcrum-5:

High school girlfriends father was a professor in physics... Her mother was his grad student. Another friend was the same way; father professor, mother former grad student turned housewife.

Hell, there's a couple I work with as engineers, husband a bit older and was a technical mentor when cute girl, now wife, was hired. He's retiring, she we continue to work for a while.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

Sexual harassment by a nerd might be the best possible outcome for her.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Co-worker did a contract up there. Everything sucks especially the people. Woke show. I wonder if she's the person who stuck her head in the gym and ranted and raved about him having his mask on his chin while working out alone. FD has 85% turnover for a reason. Try to sleep with drunks partying in the next room every night. Little clause in the contract that means no days off because shorthanded. Etc.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top