Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 4/22/2024 8:26:47 AM EDT
No link, link would give access to my account..........

Attachment Attached File

It's that time of the year again when the budding marijuana legalization conversation lights up on the federal level. It's actually been going on for quite some time, and witnessed some momentum in 2022 with the introduction of the Cannabis Administration and Opportunity Act in the Senate and the Marijuana Opportunity Reinvestment and Expungement Act in the House. Things continued in 2023 as the HHS concluded its independent review, with any change in scheduling now in the hands of the DOJ.

Backdrop: When state and federal laws conflict, the latter preempts the former as per Article IV of the Constitution. However, the 10th Amendment - as interpreted by the Supreme Court - outlines that the federal government cannot "commandeer the state," meaning it cannot force states to arrest cannabis sellers or users that comply with their own state laws. In turn, states also cannot block the federal government from enforcing their laws. As a result, federal agents could be dispatched to make arrests within states if there was a will to do so and the resources were available, but in recent decades, sentiment has turned with regard to weed's place in society.

"The process is still going, the review is still going," White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said at her latest briefing. "On decriminalization, the President has been very, very clear. He doesn't believe that anyone should be in jail or be prosecuted just for using or - or possessing marijuana."

Oregon led the effort towards decriminalization in 1973, California kicked off medical marijuana in 1996, and recreational weed even became legal in Colorado and Washington in 2012. As of today, pot is now legal recreationally in nearly half of all U.S. states, though it still remains a Schedule I drug under the Controlled Substances Act of 1970. The illegal classification makes it complicated for companies to operate within their own state borders, as many business activities and banks are regulated by federal law, as well as taxes, trademarks, and legal processes like bankruptcy. Reclassifying cannabis as a proposed Schedule III substance also doesn't mean weed would be legalized, but would be a step towards doing so on the federal level.

Outlook: Cannabis market research firm BDSA expects legal U.S. cannabis sales to grow nearly 10% to $32.4B by the end of 2024. For investors trying to gain exposure to the sector, check out the news on multistate operators like Cresco Labs (OTCQX:CRLBF), Curaleaf (OTCPK:CURLF), Green Thumb Industries (OTCQX:GTBIF) and Trulieve Cannabis (OTCQX:TCNNF). Cannabis-related ETFs include the AdvisorShares Pure Cannabis ETF (YOLO) and funds like the Amplify Alternative Harvest (MJ).
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:29:13 AM EDT
[#1]
In before all the pious alcoholics
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:31:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Now do NFA stuff.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:34:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Karankawa:
Now do NFA stuff.
View Quote

NFA is already dead, it just doesn't know it yet.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:34:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Enjoyed the hell out of it in the 70’s.

Then laid off.

Tried the “legal” stuff a few years ago.

HATED the way it made me feel.

“You do you” as they say.

Alcohol gives me a major headache.

I’m no fun at all at parties.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:37:40 AM EDT
[#5]
It's only illegal if you get caught
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:42:10 AM EDT
[#6]
That leaf looks ominous. Gateway leaf.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:43:47 AM EDT
[#7]
"the Marijuana Opportunity Reinvestment and Expungement Act"  

Only government could come up with that shit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#8]
The war on drugs is over after 50+ years .
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:44:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By jchewie1:

View Quote

Preach!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By pale_pony:
View Quote

Right tell that to all of the dead families in Nevada. Died from bring hit by high drivers. The state tried to hide that for years and just called it an OUI but recently started disclosing the real reason. An innocent little genetically modified plant.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By W_E_G:

Then laid off.

View Quote

Bro

As long as you are happy, we are all happy to be having fun with you.

Keep smiling.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Things sure got restrictive after Abe went to see Our American Cousin with Mary.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#13]
If only there was a way to grow it where it didn't smell like shit when you smoke it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:54:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Pineapple Express Opening Scene
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By CavScout:

Right tell that to all of the dead families in Nevada. Died from bring hit by high drivers. The state tried to hide that for years and just called it an OUI but recently started disclosing the real reason. An innocent little genetically modified plant.
View Quote

freedom is scary
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:59:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bgenlvtex] [#16]
The Federal Government imported and  sold Heroin, Cocaine and Marijuana beginning in 1947.

There is no evidence they ever stopped, most likely expanding to fentanyl in the face of growing competition.

That's important to remember anytime the Government is talking about giving you some of your freedom back.

So many unpopulated lamp posts
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:00:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: anothermisanthrope] [#17]
Happy shareholder of Innovative Industrial Properties, Inc. (IIPR) it's a REIT that pays ~7.5% div. I also own Altria (cigarettes). Capitalism and consenting adults. I sleep just fine.

(I am short InBev tho).

Edit after reading responses:

GD: Government has no business telling anyone what they can carry or where or what capacity.

Also GD: But they can tell people what they're not allowed to ingest.

How do you reconcile this?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:02:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ExFed1811:
If only there was a way to grow it where it didn't smell like shit when you smoke it.
View Quote

There are some strains that don't smell as potent and water curing can also eliminate the smell, allegedly.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

So booze should be illegal too?

If it saves just one person!!!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Cannabis is like Abortion: it is too valuable as a campaign/vote gathering issue for Democrats to ever settle the matter.

That is why if the GOP had any brains, they would pass Cannabis legalization in the House with a very low excise/sin tax(3-5%) and hand it to the Senate. It would cause the Democrats to freak out as it would cost them votes to not pass it, yet, it would strip them of said vote gathering issue.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:12:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:13:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Walmarts are locking up car air freshers because of this crap.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:14:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JimEb] [#25]
Our factory workers are already high AF throughout the day.  They can’t make it a shift without lighting the bong in their car on their lunch break.  

Why is there no such thing as a casual user?  You’re either not a user or getting stoned is your entire identity.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By JaredC1:

View All Quotes

ok ill be the one to say it

Pot should stay illegal, society  has been degrading at a pace that needs to be slowed down not accelerated, there is zero evidence that using pot increases anyone's productivity, intelligence or abilities. actually it declines them all.

The only reason pot is being legalized is to sway voters and most pot users are more hooked on pot than politics so its working great.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:18:12 AM EDT
[#27]
What about the pot needles everywhere? What about all the kids jumping off buildings because they think they can fly? Everyone should watch “ Reefer Madness”.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:19:04 AM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

There's no reason to smoke it anymore.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:25:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Since NY legalized it, what I’ve noticed is that the guys who are baked 24/7 are the same ones who were baked 24/7 before. I know some older people who take edibles to help them sleep or help with pain. You smell it more in summer at outdoor gatherings. Not much changed really.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:26:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pale_pony] [#30]

View Quote

Now, let's talk about DRUNK driving numbers

you beat us there again, ace

ETA: i am NOT responsible for slow, hanging pitches thrown right over the plate  
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By icecold1:

Pot should stay illegal, society  has been degrading at a pace that needs to be slowed down not accelerated, there is zero evidence that using pot increases anyone's productivity, intelligence or abilities. actually it declines them all.

The only reason pot is being legalized is to sway voters and most pot users are more hooked on pot than politics so its working great.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:31:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By JimEb:
Our factory workers are already high AF throughout the day.  They can’t make it a shift without lighting the bong in their car on their lunch break.  

Why is there no such thing as a casual user?  You’re either not a user or getting stoned is your entire identity.
View Quote

Reminds me of a newspaper headine/article back in the 90s about the problem of workers using meth in the workplace.
The 'red flag' was that the workers were getting too much done.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:33:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:33:26 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

I don't remember it having that skunk smell in the 80's and early 90's.  I just remember it smelling like burning grass.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:35:28 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

that's where I'm at these days (50s...)

i'm 'have two beers and call it a night' at this point  
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

IF weed was legalized in all 50 states, it could not be weaponized as a campaign issue at the polls.   That would mean that bunches of dirty leftists would just stay home.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:42:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By sabre_kc:

Preach!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sabre_kc:
Originally Posted By jchewie1:

Preach!

A million switches, plus various "clothes hangers" and other doodads anyone with a $300 printer can print an unlimited supply of, all of which the .gov doesn't care about, are my witness.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:43:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Not a fan of it. But I don’t like how the govt set it up like liquor. Should have allowed grow your own. Utah has medical but no grow your own even for that. It has some benefits for some things, PTSD, but 90% of people that use it are pot heads.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:44:27 AM EDT
[#39]
The dumbing down of society is exactly what they want.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#40]
IME, legalizing weed never makes an area 'better.'
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:48:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#41]
Bread , circuses and new legal drugs to pacify the masses and keep them stupid and occupied, and not placing blame for their shitty lives, where it belongs, DC.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By JimEb:

View Quote

You sure we don't work at the same place?

I swear at least 50% of the night shift guys (day shift ain't much better) are smoking a joint or hitting a dab every break and on lunch too. None have been high to the point of getting hurt or being obviously stoned so management is letting it slide since they can't find anybody else to work.

IMO it's no different than alcohol- I know guys who drink a beer on lunch and come back in. When I had a job I absolutely loathed I "allegedly" kept some shine in the truck and on exceptionally bad days had a couple swigs every break and during lunch. Now I might have 1 drink a month.

Construction workers aren't that different either, I lost count of the times guys would show up hungover/still drunk/stoned, so they got to ride in the back seat and operate a shovel or drive fence posts. Always entertaining watching them try to sneak some hard lemonade or tea from the gas station and repackage it thinking I wouldn't notice
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By TheWhiteHorse:
The dumbing down of society is exactly what they want.
View Quote

You don't need pot to do that. Cell phones have made people into zombies.

I use pot, but I'm a bit of a fuddy pot user. I have autism and pot allows me to function in social environments. Pot allows me to be less rigid and not lose my shit when life happens. Pot allows me to sleep more than 15 minutes a night.

I don't support the use of pot by kids or in public places. People who smoke and drive should 100% get DUI's.  Anybody against pot while being pro alcohol is a complete idiot.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#44]
keep the masses stoned.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:00:03 AM EDT
[#45]
I find it funny that the left wants to legalize drugs and at the same time ban Zyn.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:01:25 AM EDT
[#46]
My buddy says:

"Anti gun darling of the RINOs Dan Lungren can be blamed for the inception and passage of prop 215. I still remember the ads from him and CLEOs trying to paint pictures of dead children on the streets, if it passed. Reasonable people get upset when they are lied to by law enforcement. I don't smoke, but I voted for it because of that. I know others like me did as well. I also didn't appreciate those same CLEOs lying about guns."

Me?

Go ahead and legalize it...our country is fucked and lost. Sooner it crashes and all the druggies get naturally weeded out (pun intended), we can rebuild this nation with stronger and better people.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Billy-the-Man:
It's only illegal if you get caught
View Quote

^
|
|
|
|

He’s right, you know
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:09:46 AM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Or make the users smarter, more motivated, and productive.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#49]

Then laid off.

View Quote

Parties are overrated.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:21:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
The war on drugs is over after 50+ years .
View Quote

Doin’ good ain’t got no end.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top