Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2024 3:48:54 PM EDT
"It's for your safety."

BOMBSHELL testimony changes the whole SawStop narrative!

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

"But we'll save people if we force everyone to do this" when, AFAIK, tablesaw manufacturers aren't being negligent.

It looks like we're going to have to have a black market for these things at the lower end.

I HATE it when the government does this kind of thing.

If you aren't doing anything morally wrong the government has zero legit authority to touch you, but we never let reality get in the way of self righteous smothering.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 3:53:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Those that produce nothing are inherently evil; e.g. Government, what do they produce?
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
"It's for your safety."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxKkuDduYLk

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

"But we'll save people if we force everyone to do this" when, AFAIK, tablesaw manufacturers aren't being negligent.

It looks like we're going to have to have a black market for these things at the lower end.

I HATE it when the government does this kind of thing.

If you aren't doing anything morally wrong the government has zero legit authority to touch you, but we never let reality get in the way of self righteous smothering.
View Quote

This was a reality wake up call for many

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

This is much much smaller but it is happening right in front of your face and will impact anyone who deals with a tablesaw.

The sawstop nannies will finally get their wet dream of extorting everyone into using their tech.

"Oh but we'll make the patent public"

Yes... you are a bunch of smothering nanny tyrants, sawstop.

"But it's for our good."

Kiss all tablesaws under 1000$ goodbye.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Look on the bright side - at least the soon-to-be illegal to sell tablesaws are going on sale all over the place. Perfect time to upgrade or buy the model you've been eyeballing or trying to justify. You won't get a chance again later.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Look on the bright side - at least the soon-to-be illegal to sell tablesaws are going on sale all over the place. Perfect time to upgrade or buy the model you've been eyeballing or trying to justify. You won't get a chance again later.
View Quote

Unless the manufacturers recall them.

He talks about just that in the video.

I had no idea why those craftsman radial arm saws disappeared, and they were indeed common as dirt before.  All virtually gone now ...

Regulation - the government trying to stop something from happening by banning things BESIDES that thing - are always broken and wrong.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 4:08:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I had no idea why those craftsman radial arm saws disappeared, and they were indeed common as dirt before.  All virtually gone now ...

Regulation - the government trying to stop something from happening by banning things BESIDES that thing - are always broken and wrong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A recall doesn't mean you have to destroy/send in your machine. It just sometimes provides a monetary incentive to do so. I don't plan on disabling or sending in any of my tablesaws.

I 100% agree that this really is a terrible decision and unfortunately all but certain to go through at this point.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#8]
and then when you get too 'wet' a piece of wood, snap, it does it's thing and there you go $300 more dollars to set it up.

My money is on those who can 'un engineer' it to work anyway.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 4:27:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
and then when you get too 'wet' a piece of wood, snap, it does it's thing and there you go $300 more dollars to set it up.

View Quote

YOu mean like how everyone immediately disables the idiotic seat / reverse/ brake sensors on lawnmowers so they are viable and don't slow you down?
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 4:29:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've got a sawstop. It's an awesome saw. It's the best saw on the market unless you're using a truly massive industrial machine. In the consumer section especially, be 1.75hp, 3hp, or 5hp, if sawstop offers it, its the one to have. This idea of common false hits really does not happen, and if you decide to cut wood you were storing underwater for some reason, you can just deactivate the sensor with the turn of the key that is always in the machine anyway. False positives are very rare, and while they do happen, most users will probably never have one. Seems the most common culprit when it does happen is soaked mdf. I think most people who do it nick a jig or miter gauge, which if metal absolutely will set it off. I think some people just lie online about it. There's one guy here whose name I can't remember who is obsessed with dumping on sawstop, for instance. They might be a shit company for their shenanigans but the product is top notch.

Even if I did have the occasional false positive, the opportunity cost is worth it to me.

That said, this whole mandating equipment thing is crazy. But I know a lot of really great woodworkers, especially older ones, who are missing fingers or parts of fingers, and I wasn't willing to be one of them, so I paid the premium. The sawstop is a good investment for a serious hobby woodworker. It should not be mandated, and their lawfare against alternative methods of blade braking are equally bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Those that produce nothing are inherently evil; e.g. Government, what do they produce?
View Quote

Government is good at exactly one thing… killing lots and lots of people.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 4:55:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I’m Rich!

I have my Dads 1950’s Craftsman table saw and a 1970’s Craftsman Radial arm saw out in the shop!

They’ll be worth BIG BUCKS!
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I’m Rich!

I have my Dads 1950’s Craftsman table saw and a 1970’s Craftsman Radial arm saw out in the shop!

They’ll be worth BIG BUCKS!
View Quote

I'm pretty sure there are more of those 1970s craftsman RASs around than there are people.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#16]
There was a recall on the Craftmens radial arm saw.  It was still in effect last year when I learned about it.  You could get a check for $50.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I look to the government as my compass to guide me through life. Whenever I have doubt, I ask which direction the government would have me go in....and I do the exact opposite as expediently as possible. Works 100% of the time.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I look to the government as my compass to guide me through life. Whenever I have doubt, I ask which direction the government would have me go in....and I do the exact opposite as expediently as possible. Works 100% of the time.
View Quote

Based
Top Top