Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2004 8:27:26 AM EDT
25% of the deaths in IRAQ/Afghanistan have been either accidents or friendly fire.  This is one hell of a large number.  (This is 0.2% of the deployed forces).  What industry would be allowed to operate with those kinds of numbers?

Where is OSHA when you need them?

www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/world/iraq/casualties/facesofthefallen.htm
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#1]
You could always go nerf...
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:35:28 AM EDT
[#2]
How many do you think occurred in other wars?

War isn't business.  And the enmy often doesn't follow rules.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:36:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not an expert on this subject, but I believe that 25% is exactly par for the course.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:37:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Most of the deaths in Desert Shield/Storm were from accidents.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Nothing new on friendly fire casualties…

The old soldiers from the North Europe Campaign in WWII used to say……

"Germans in the Sky, Yanks take cover…
Yanks in the Sky, both side take cover…"

Andy
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:52:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Think of all the vehicle accidents you see around you here in the states. Now imagine if almost all of the occupants aren't wearing seatbelts. Lot more deaths, right?

Now take an industry where you use very heavy vehicles and equipment weighing many tons. Have the workers on the clock for 18 or 20 hours a day EVERY day, no days off, constantly doing physically and mentally demanding jobs. Lot more deaths, right?

Fighting battles and winning wars is a very difficult thing to do. Despite emphasis on operation risk management, even the training is extremely hazardous and unfortunately results in many accidents. There is NO industry/business more dangerous. It's war.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:56:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
25% of the deaths in IRAQ/Afghanistan have been either accidents or friendly fire.  This is one hell of a large number.  (This is 0.2% of the deployed forces).  What industry would be allowed to operate with those kinds of numbers?

Where is OSHA when you need them?

www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/world/iraq/casualties/facesofthefallen.htm

Seeing how the Iraqis drive, and the fact that we don't wear seatbelts out of the wire, I am surprised more people aren't killed.

As a gunner in a Humvee, I was always concerned that some Iraqi civ. was going to hit us.  It's also nerve racking when you are sharing the road with a tank.

It got so bad, they required us to wear selt belts when we came onto our post.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:05:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Arab countries tend to have incredibly high traffic accident mortality.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:54:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Maybe the 25% sounds high because the killed by enemy fire is so LOW for a real war ?

i.e. if 10,000 were killed by enemy fire like in Nam, the 250 killed by an Acccident would not even be on the radar screen ?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#11]
In any give year military deaths from accidents in peace time can number in the hundreds.

War is a slightly more dangerous activity that business I don’t think OSHA would be of much help.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#12]
If anyone ever bothered to read the safety stats they would find that the accidental death rate in Iraq (with the exception of friendly fire) / (including aircraft crashes) has not increased the total number of accidental deaths overall.

Here is the current (Sept 04) Navy Military Motor Vehicle Fatality Rates
This page contains information on Navy and Marine Corps non-operational private motor vehicle (PMV) and operational motor vehicle mishaps for the current fiscal year.

Total PMV Fatalities
Navy

Total PMV Fatality Rate
Navy

Operational
Total Operational MV Fatalities
Navy

Operational MV Fatality Rate
Navy

For Fy 99 it was a total of 71 deaths.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:06:08 PM EDT
[#13]
 My uncle was a teenager in WW II, then back for Korea. He stated to me he saw as many guys killed in screw ups as combat. He saw a lot of combat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top