Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 4/15/2024 1:03:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: realwar]
A crazy story

An Ohio man has been charged with murder after he admitted to shooting an Uber driver who had been tricked by a scammer to pick up a package at his home.

The fatal incident, which was captured on the female driver's dashcam, took place in the town of South Charleston on March 25 at around 11:25am.

William Brock, 81, told police he had been receiving fraudulent phone calls from scammers demanding money and had been threatened by them in the weeks running up to the altercation.

One of the suspected scammers is believed to have messaged Uber delivery driver Letha Hall, 61, through the app to tell her to pick up a package at Brock's home.

Hall showed up at Brock's home and according to police, 'made no threats or assaults' toward him and just asked about the package.

Fearing she was going to hurt him, Brock shockingly whipped out a gun and demanded she identify who had sent her.

Video

Much of the scene was captured on the video camera in Hall's vehicle and released by the Clark County Sheriff's Office.

Brock also allegedly took her phone and wouldn't let her leave, though he never dialed 911 or called for help, police said.

Hall tried to get back to her car when Brock shot her. Afterward, Hall can be heard screaming in pain, while Brock threatens to 'shoot the other leg.'

There was apparently a 'scuffle' between the two, during which Brock asked Hall who she worked for, then he shot her again and then a third time after a 'further exchange.'

She was shot in the upper left side of her torso, one to the upper front of her left leg, one on the inside of her left knee and one in the center mass of her sternum.

Hall was taken to a local hospital but died while undergoing surgery, authorities said.

Brock, who himself suffered injuries to his head and ear, only called 911 after he had shot Hall.

He told deputies - 'without being asked' as they put it - that Hall was there to 'take my money.'

Brock said that Hall attacked him after he shot her by slamming his head into the door of her car and then tried to escape, so he shot her again, thinking she was going to get a gun of her own.

'He provided he didn't want to shoot her but he thought she was going to kill him,' the incident report said.

Brock is being charged with murder because he didn't call 911 and because there was 'no active threat presented by Ms. Hall at any time during the encounter.'

He posted a $200,000 bond but could face further charges after the incident is investigated further.

Link
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:59:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Bad shoot.  Very bad shoot.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Bad shoot, but the whole situation is tragic.

Scammers need to be fire-boarded!
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:05:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Poor woman.

He's guilty as f*ck but the scammers should be tracked and charged.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:07:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Tragic.  I wish we had the whole audio for the whole altercation.  

They need to find the scammers and charge Them with murder.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:08:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Have they interviewed any neighbors? I'm guessing it's "He was a nasty, old guy who would yell at kids who might stray into his lawn. He never had any visitors, etc etc...."

My parents are in their 80s. They fall for shit, and we've told them MULTIPLE times to be careful and ALWAYS run things past us before giving out money or personal info. They get bitter and take it really personally, then a couple months later it happens all over again. I hate scammers as much as the next person, but good God, do stubborn old people make it easy.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By konger:
Tragic! Sort of a case of her being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I wonder if Ohio has a stand your ground law and if it will apply here?
View Quote

Ohio has excellent castle doctrine and stand your ground laws, neither will apply here nor should they.  This was outright murder not self defense.

It is a case of an old man needlessly killing an innocent person.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:13:39 AM EDT
[#7]
If only we had federal law enforcement agencies that had the capabilities to deal with scammers..

Unfortunately, we had an insurrection on Jan 6, and that has consumed our federal law enforcement time. Oh, and some maga parents complained at school board meetings.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Fuck that old bastard.  

I hope that his remaining days on this earth are miserable.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:15:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow she could barely hobble about

Looking pretty fuckin bad to me
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry, pops, but if you feel threatened enough to shoot someone, put it between their eyes.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:19:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AmishElectrician] [#11]
Originally Posted By giantpune:

You can point some of the blame at uber, and at her.

There's an app that lets person A tell company B to send their contractor C to just show up random places and pickup random shit.  B and C will happily comply with anything that A tells them.  Because if they didn't, it would make more friction for their business, and would cost them money.  IMO, B and C both own some of the responsibility in this.  You can't just blindly trust some unverified random asshole across the internet thats telling you to do something.

What if I told them to show up to the Louvre and pick up the Mona Lisa and deliver it to my house?  Hopefully they wouldn't be dumb enough to fall for that one.  

If they continue to do business this same way, they will continue to be used to do illegal activities.  Its clear that B isn't interested in changing their business practices.  C will need to get smarter.  Ask questions.  Expect that sometimes you will be getting sent somewhere as part of a scam or a drug mule.  Or risk getting clapped when they send you up to participate in a scam on a crazy old man.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By giantpune:
Originally Posted By Explorer225:
Old white dude shoots a black woman it's not going to be good.  Poor lady just trying to make a living

You can point some of the blame at uber, and at her.

There's an app that lets person A tell company B to send their contractor C to just show up random places and pickup random shit.  B and C will happily comply with anything that A tells them.  Because if they didn't, it would make more friction for their business, and would cost them money.  IMO, B and C both own some of the responsibility in this.  You can't just blindly trust some unverified random asshole across the internet thats telling you to do something.

What if I told them to show up to the Louvre and pick up the Mona Lisa and deliver it to my house?  Hopefully they wouldn't be dumb enough to fall for that one.  

If they continue to do business this same way, they will continue to be used to do illegal activities.  Its clear that B isn't interested in changing their business practices.  C will need to get smarter.  Ask questions.  Expect that sometimes you will be getting sent somewhere as part of a scam or a drug mule.  Or risk getting clapped when they send you up to participate in a scam on a crazy old man.

Thats what I'm wondering. What if you post up a good job for a guy with a truck. I say "Go to this construction site and pickup this trailer with $25k worth equipment and deliver here, we'll pay $250 extra because we need the equipment here overnight, you can get this stuff at midnight, make sure it makes it here before sunrise"
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:22:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By crashburnrepeat:

I will vote for whoever does this. Regardless of party
View Quote

I wouldn’t vote for the one who says things lying all the time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:28:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Booray:
That sucks he got scammed, but fuck that guy.  

That could have been sorted with 30 seconds of conversation.

He had demons in his skull that interfered with rational thought.
View Quote
Dementia does that. Parts of the brain start to become nonfunctional. As that happens the results can be bizzare. Think about rabies affects on Old Yeller.

Watching my mom go from being my mom to an Alzheimers victim was horrible. In the early stages, she could switch from being my mom to being Alzheimers and back again in a short period of time.

I actually think that's where the story of Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde cane from.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:31:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4thbreak] [#14]
Originally Posted By bagofcrabs65:
So she didn't take anything and tried to leave..

And he decided to shoot her?

Charging him because he didn't call 911 sounds retarded.
View Quote
Yea, the way the article focuses on the timing of the 911 call when there's so much else is rather puzzling.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:32:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:

but she wasnt invited so the home owner should be able to claim self defense since she was trespassing
View Quote

No she wasn't.
No he can't
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Bad shoot.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:34:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:

hes old and frail and had been threatened. How was he supposed to know?  He didnt invite her
View Quote

If someone is sent to an address to pick up a box for a courier service I think that most people could assume that it's a consensual arrangement between sender and recipient
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

If someone is sent to an address to pick up a box for a courier service I think that most people could assume that it's a consensual arrangement between sender and recipient
View Quote

almost as if you order from a delivery service and a representative from said service delivers the items you ordered.................
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:02:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Hope he sits in jail scared and alone for his final days, as such it shouldn't be too long now.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Currahee:
Wish it was the scammers that had shown up and got shot.

But, as far as that goes, Scammers seem to be the most gutless criminal type.

Question, because I have no idea how Uber works...

Is it normal just to get a message to go pick up a package?
View Quote

No. Never heard of it, but that might be a thing in the ghetto, to hire some schmuck to be your drug mule.

The folks doing uber typically need the money.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Why would he shoot a dead Über driver?
View Quote

Journalism USED to mean you wrote up well edited stories... not so much anymore.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:09:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By MeInMediocrity:

This is a good example of why the government should make more of an effort to shut down scammers.
View Quote

Not too hard to trace a phone location, they did it for the J6 folks without any problems.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:09:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BoneB1B] [#23]
Originally Posted By greenranger:
In for all the “Muh Texas” people claiming this to would be legal there
View Quote

In for the “muh GA” people talking out of their asses.
Switch to “muh NC” and you’ll nail it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:

I would love to see Congress start with the telephone network and making the real number show up only, so no more spoofed calls, but the odds they would try and help the average joe is really slim.
View Quote

That would be a great start.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:11:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prijador] [#26]
Originally Posted By realwar:

He thought she was part of the scammer crew that was calling him and harassing him. The guy was paranoid and wasn't even thinking. I've read stories about solicitors knocking on people doors and getting shot when they opened the door by old people because they were paranoid.
View All Quotes

He thought she was part of the scammer crew that was calling him and harassing him. The guy was paranoid and wasn't even thinking. I've read stories about solicitors knocking on people doors and getting shot when they opened the door by old people because they were paranoid.

Paranoia is a common symptom in older folks who suffer from dementia - even in people with no history whatsoever of any paranoia.

No excusing his actions tho.  RIP lady just doing what she was asked to do.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:15:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

Not sure what you expect law enforcement to be able to do about it
View Quote

Well our useless congress could enact a law to disable number spoofing.  A good start anyway.  Blocked number staying blocked.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:16:22 AM EDT
[#28]
The Space Force should be dropping rods from God on these fucking scammer call centers.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:19:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By midcap:
The Space Force should be dropping rods from God on these fucking scammer call centers.
View Quote
They'd kill 100 slaves and not the shot callers, though I'm still not opposed to the idea.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#30]
let me guess? and she argued with him?
"tricked by scammers"...uh huh....  

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:31:08 AM EDT
[#31]
i mean, she didn't look like a threat...poor lady could barely walk...

i bet we're not being told some shit tho....

old white guy they can paint as racist, so any exonerating evidence will be told 100 years from now
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#32]
I'll bet the old dude flicked the revolver forward to throw the bullets as he shot. He got the drop on her, alright.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:49:44 AM EDT
[#33]
murder for sure.  Sad events that led to this but the old guy is responsible and ought to be put away.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By nomad07:
let me guess? and she argued with him?
"tricked by scammers"...uh huh....  
View Quote
Damn dude
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:51:37 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm thinking dementia played a role in this.  Old dudes remaining years are f---ed and the woman's life ended.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By willyj73:

If only we had federal law enforcement agencies that had the capabilities to deal with scammers..

Unfortunately, we had an insurrection on Jan 6, and that has consumed our federal law enforcement time. Oh, and some maga parents complained at school board meetings.
View Quote

And the FBI is still busting people from Jan 6.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

I wish reading comprehension was part of education now days.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:54:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By JET55:
Now imagine this asshat driving around. Guarantee he’s in the left lane doing “the speed limit”.

At that age and state of mental acuity, he should lose both drivers license and right to firearms.

View Quote

Careful there pilgrim!  You just opened a can of rancid shit!
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Crazy old fucker.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:55:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#40]
Originally Posted By GarandM1:
Bad shoot.  Very bad shoot.
View Quote

I'm going with good shoot.
She was trespassing.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By _DR:

She was trespassing.

View Quote

Call the police and let them handle it.  Save the "shoot" for last resort.  That way you don't end up with your life fucked up like old mans now is.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#42]

I would love to see Congress start with the telephone network and making the real number show up only, so no more spoofed calls, but the odds they would try and help the average joe is really slim.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WesJanson:
Originally Posted By MeInMediocrity:

This is a good example of why the government should make more of an effort to shut down scammers.

If a sitting President announced he was going to task unnamed assets with locating scammers overseas, and sending Tomahawks after them, it would both guarantee re-election and have a dramatic effect globally in online scamming.

There are legitimate reasons to push a number that isn't technically the one you're calling from or on the block of numbers for that system. Especially if you do tech support for multiple organizations.    Where I work we have multiple incoming numbers and everyone has a DID.  What's the "real number?  In this day of IP phones how do you determine the real number?   Unless you're presenting a number that doesn't belong to you can have a legitimate number from any place in the world and it would be a real number which you could use from any place in the world.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#43]

She was trespassing.

View Quote

Ummmm.

I hope this is a badly articulated joke, because otherwise you probably should have your adult kids come and take your guns away.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:08:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: runcible] [#44]
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
Old people can be very unpredictable and not think clearly. Don't fuck with old people.
View Quote
Definitely not. A lot of them have an "I'm old so I can whatever I want" attitude to begin with. Now, you mix that with dementia, and a firearm...
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Because he's 81.  The guy is going to cost to support one way or another.  SS + Medicare or prison.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:10:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
I hope this is a badly articulated joke, because otherwise you probably should have your adult kids come and take your guns away.
View Quote
Sometimes, you read shit in GD that is so derpy, you know it's sheer luck that the people who wrote it aren't dead or in prison.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:11:51 AM EDT
[#47]

She was trespassing.

View Quote

Is the mailman trespassing? LE responding to a call for service? The paperboy? Mere presence on property is not trespassing by any legal standard.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:13:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By runcible:
Sometimes, you read shit in GD that is so derpy, you know it's sheer luck that the people who wrote it aren't dead or in prison.
View Quote

The fact that normal productive people allow unhinged people to vote and own firearms is a testament to how much we value freedom.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#49]

She was trespassing.

View Quote

This guy makes us all look like homicidal maniacs, he was beyond wrong and you are seriously misguided to think lethal force against a non threatening trespasser could possibly be justifiable.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#50]
This guy is how I imagine boomer arfcommers
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Top Top