Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 4/15/2024 1:03:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: realwar]
A crazy story

An Ohio man has been charged with murder after he admitted to shooting an Uber driver who had been tricked by a scammer to pick up a package at his home.

The fatal incident, which was captured on the female driver's dashcam, took place in the town of South Charleston on March 25 at around 11:25am.

William Brock, 81, told police he had been receiving fraudulent phone calls from scammers demanding money and had been threatened by them in the weeks running up to the altercation.

One of the suspected scammers is believed to have messaged Uber delivery driver Letha Hall, 61, through the app to tell her to pick up a package at Brock's home.

Hall showed up at Brock's home and according to police, 'made no threats or assaults' toward him and just asked about the package.

Fearing she was going to hurt him, Brock shockingly whipped out a gun and demanded she identify who had sent her.

Video

Much of the scene was captured on the video camera in Hall's vehicle and released by the Clark County Sheriff's Office.

Brock also allegedly took her phone and wouldn't let her leave, though he never dialed 911 or called for help, police said.

Hall tried to get back to her car when Brock shot her. Afterward, Hall can be heard screaming in pain, while Brock threatens to 'shoot the other leg.'

There was apparently a 'scuffle' between the two, during which Brock asked Hall who she worked for, then he shot her again and then a third time after a 'further exchange.'

She was shot in the upper left side of her torso, one to the upper front of her left leg, one on the inside of her left knee and one in the center mass of her sternum.

Hall was taken to a local hospital but died while undergoing surgery, authorities said.

Brock, who himself suffered injuries to his head and ear, only called 911 after he had shot Hall.

He told deputies - 'without being asked' as they put it - that Hall was there to 'take my money.'

Brock said that Hall attacked him after he shot her by slamming his head into the door of her car and then tried to escape, so he shot her again, thinking she was going to get a gun of her own.

'He provided he didn't want to shoot her but he thought she was going to kill him,' the incident report said.

Brock is being charged with murder because he didn't call 911 and because there was 'no active threat presented by Ms. Hall at any time during the encounter.'

He posted a $200,000 bond but could face further charges after the incident is investigated further.

Link
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:05:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:07:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Currahee] [#2]
Wish it was the scammers that had shown up and got shot.

But, as far as that goes, Scammers seem to be the most gutless criminal type.

Question, because I have no idea how Uber works...

Is it normal just to get a message to go pick up a package?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:10:09 AM EDT
[#3]
So she didn’t take anything and tried to leave..

And he decided to shoot her?

Charging him because he didn’t call 911 sounds retarded.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:11:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Why would he shoot a dead Über driver?
View Quote

He thought she was part of the scammer crew that was calling him and harassing him. The guy was paranoid and wasn't even thinking. I've read stories about solicitors knocking on people doors and getting shot when they opened the door by old people because they were paranoid.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:27:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By realwar:

He thought she was part of the scammer crew that was calling him and harassing him. The guy was paranoid and wasn't even thinking. I've read stories about solicitors knocking on people doors and getting shot when they opened the door by old people because they were paranoid.
View Quote

This is a good example of why the government should make more of an effort to shut down scammers.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:42:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MeInMediocrity:

This is a good example of why the government should make more of an effort to shut down scammers why you shouldn’t be a paranoid, violent dumbass.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This is a good example of why the government should make more of an effort to shut down scammers why you shouldn’t be a paranoid, violent dumbass.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:45:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I feel for both people here

Old dude is getting packages mailed to him and threats that he needs to cooperate.

Random person shows up asking for the package and he thinks this is his first face to face with the scammers
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:46:57 AM EDT
[#8]

This is a good example of why the government should make more of an effort to shut down scammers.
View All Quotes

If a sitting President announced he was going to task unnamed assets with locating scammers overseas, and sending Tomahawks after them, it would both guarantee re-election and have a dramatic effect globally in online scamming.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:47:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By The_Master_Shake:
I feel for both people here

Old dude is getting packages mailed to him and threats that he needs to cooperate.

Random person shows up asking for the package and he thinks this is his first face to face with the scammers
View Quote

I have zero sympathy for him. Armed robbery, murder. Fuck him.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:52:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AEROMechanic] [#10]
Fucking hell.  That poor woman.

ETA: InB4 those that support the old mans actions..
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:01:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By AEROMechanic:

View Quote
I'd be shocked if any (veteran) ARFCOMMers show up and support the dude.

Dude fucked up bad and a person is dead because of it.  I can sort of see what might have lead to it, but to shoot with no articulatable threat against a person who has a reason to be on your property? No buueno, feel sorry for him, feel far more sorry for the lady's family.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:08:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By WesJanson:

If a sitting President announced he was going to task unnamed assets with locating scammers overseas, and sending Tomahawks after them, it would both guarantee re-election and have a dramatic effect globally in online scamming.
View Quote

I will vote for whoever does this. Regardless of party
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:14:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I want to see bodycam footage of JSOC canoeing Nigerian scammers.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:34:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:42:32 AM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

I would love to see Congress start with the telephone network and making the real number show up only, so no more spoofed calls, but the odds they would try and help the average joe is really slim.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:49:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
I want to see bodycam footage of JSOC canoeing Nigerian scammers.
View Quote

That would be awesome.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:53:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Currahee:

View Quote

Uber offers this service, but drivers have to agree to it on the app.  There are certain size and weight restrictions.  The receiving party is supposed to get it from your vehicle.  We have no idea what the package is, and I don't think we are supposed to ask.

Since I have been back driving Uber I have only done one package ride, it was boxes of normal saline solution from a hospital north of Dallas to a doctor's office south of Dallas.  Before Uber offered this service I had taken socket sets for an 18-wheeler from one shop to another.

Fuck that old coot.  

Drive armed.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:10:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:

I would love to see Congress start with the telephone network and making the real number show up only, so no more spoofed calls, but the odds they would try and help the average joe is really slim.
View Quote

It would require a fundamental overhaul of the legacy phone system in the US. There is virtually no call security or verification of caller's identity inherent to the system, especially now that many of these calls originate from VoIP services like Google Voice, who allows people to pretty much generate whatever unused number they can within calling area.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:11:24 AM EDT
[#19]
That sucks he got scammed, but fuck that guy.  

That could have been sorted with 30 seconds of conversation.

He had demons in his skull that interfered with rational thought.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:20:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Poor lady.

81... Likely has some significantly diminished mental facilities. I can sympathize a bit with wanting to do something about scammers and porch pirates. But what's described in that article is a very bad shoot.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:24:46 AM EDT
[#21]
CoC
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:28:02 AM EDT
[#22]
the conservative case for pretextual election race riots, apologizing and groveling to "both sides"
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:40:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Not saying this dude doesn't deserve everything coming - but whoever the scammers are deserve every bit of it too.  They committed murder, as far as I'm concerned.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:08:47 AM EDT
[#24]

I can see the "added" charges being kidnapping and torture.
They can send an uber to haul his ass back to jail.
 That guy will either get prison or a mental hospital but either will be for life.

Look at the charging and bond difference between this and the old rancher that smoked the illegal invader , the new protected class.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:28:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AmishElectrician] [#25]

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Missilegeek:
Poor lady.

81... Likely has some significantly diminished mental facilities. I can sympathize a bit with wanting to do something about scammers and porch pirates. But what's described in that article is a very bad shoot.

There are more than few progressives looking into age related expiration to posses firearms

Its unfortunately hit close to home for me a few months ago, old guy got diminished and paranoid. Old guy paranoid called 911 for prowlers, police showed up to find nothing. They left, 30 minutes later he calls again. Police respond again. Old guy hears the cops and all he knows is that's the 3rd time he knows prowlers are trying to break in and starts shooting into the night. Took them a few hours of negotiation to get him to give up
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:28:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Our government really has been a massive failure at protecting the citizens of this country from an endless stream of scams. An endless stream of calls texts and emails. Most of us manage to filter them out, but far too many work. Even if you don't get scammed, it just gets tiring to deal with it every day. It's like our electronic devices are the equivalent of living in a bad neighborhood.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:37:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Master_Shake] [#27]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

I have zero sympathy for him. Armed robbery, murder. Fuck him.
View Quote

I mean he went full retard, what he did is inexcusable and he'll pay for it, but I still feel bad for him.

Some of the older folks don't understand all the scams these days and he could have been getting terrorized for a while with no understanding of what was happening.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:46:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By DmL5:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DmL5:

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:58:15 AM EDT
[#29]
My 94yo Mother is hassled by scammers on a regular basis. Some become threatening and verbally abusive. We have changed her phone number 2x and have caller ID on her land line (she doesn’t use cell phones) but they still get through.

I suspect there may be a bit of dementia also involved in the equation. When my Dad was suffering, those scammer calls would be amplified into something very scary and angering for him.

Scammers in general but those who specifically target the elderly, should be [coc]. Whoever sent that Uber driver to the old man’s house should be [another coc]

Sympathies to her family
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:24:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Wish it was the scammers that had shown up and got shot.

But, as far as that goes, Scammers seem to be the most gutless criminal type.

View Quote

But they didn't.

What did happen is some old raving fucking lunatic murdered a woman for no good reason.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:00:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By AEROMechanic:

View Quote
Agreed. Noticed he had the hammer cocked the whole time so it's like what, 2lb trigger pull? Without seeing the actual video I'm wondering if the first shot might have been unintentional. Doesn't really matter. He deserves everything he gets.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:05:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Sounds like you’re average GD’er. Who’s missing?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:09:34 AM EDT
[#33]
That poor woman.  And that man had been essentially terrorized into a panicked state.  Terrible all the way around, and the parties that arranged this tragedy will never be held to account.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:12:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Guy shouldn't have done it for sure but people tend to forget that old people get fed up with scammers, especially if they have been financially screwed over and since no part of the government actually does F all about 99% of all crimes that happen if they are not violent, they get into their heads that they need to take care of themselves. Was the UBER driver totally innocent? Probably, but it's also like no UBER driver has never worked with any scammers before either.

And seriously, just never get into an argument at someone else's house where they are armed about ANYTHING, agree, leave, call popo after you leave. Getting into ANY argument, pissing contest, disagreement, or anything else is stupid. It's also human nature to open one's mouth and protest if they think they are innocent, that is where the problem occurs.

Guy is a nut though, cocked and finger on trigger is stupidity all by itself.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:14:33 AM EDT
[#35]
He's a dumbass. Guilty. Prison until he dies.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:15:20 AM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

I guess he came to the hospital, after she died on the operating table, to shoot her again.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:15:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By OBXT:
Our government really has been a massive failure at protecting the citizens of this country from an endless stream of scams. An endless stream of calls texts and emails. Most of us manage to filter them out, but far too many work. Even if you don't get scammed, it just gets tiring to deal with it every day. It's like our electronic devices are the equivalent of living in a bad neighborhood.
View Quote

Not sure what you expect law enforcement to be able to do about it
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:16:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Under the circumstances, I can understand the old guy being concerned, even fearful. Not seeing a need to shoot anyone though.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:18:02 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Yeah. The do deliveries and shit like that besides haulingmeat people around.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:18:31 AM EDT
[#40]
It's in their culture, they can't help it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:18:53 AM EDT
[#41]
was she legally invited to be on the property?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:24:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Find the scammers, hang until dead.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:29:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By fxntime:
Guy shouldn't have done it for sure but people tend to forget that old people get fed up with scammers, especially if they have been financially screwed over and since no part of the government actually does F all about 99% of all crimes that happen if they are not violent, they get into their heads that they need to take care of themselves. Was the UBER driver totally innocent? Probably, but it's also like no UBER driver has never worked with any scammers before either.

And seriously, just never get into an argument at someone else's house where they are armed about ANYTHING, agree, leave, call popo after you leave. Getting into ANY argument, pissing contest, disagreement, or anything else is stupid. It's also human nature to open one's mouth and protest if they think they are innocent, that is where the problem occurs.

Guy is a nut though, cocked and finger on trigger is stupidity all by itself.
View Quote

Your comment should have stopped right at the bolded part. There is no excuse, none, for what that guy did. What a fucking piece of shit.

The question always is would your actions be the same if you were unarmed?  Because if you're going into a situation and behaving a certain way because you have a firearm but would behave differently if unarmed then you need to relook your plan.

I've written this here before and got lit up but IDGAF….I was inadvertently trespassing with my dogs but at the time I thought I wasn't….anyways got approached by a guy who says he's the owner and tells me I'm trespassing. I tell him I didn't think I was but in any case I apologize and I'll leave.  He still sitting in his truck and gets belligerent, beginning to posture like he's going to present a pistol…at least that's my impression.

The question is would he behave the same way if he was unarmed? I don't think so…I think the fact that he was armed caused him to act in threatening way. Luckily he didn't pull a gun because had he I would taken his life. He didn't know that. He was just an angry dude that was armed and because of that he acted in a threatening and belligerent manner. Almost cost him his life….

The old stupid fuck could have done a dozen different things but he chose to kill her. Her actions didn't drive that murder and the fact that the old piece of shit was previously robbed has no bearing on this. He murdered her, plain and simple.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:30:21 AM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

I have often said Mossad-type teams but the general idea would certainly insure re-election.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:32:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By xylo:
It's in their culture, they can't help it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:33:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Now imagine this asshat driving around. Guarantee he’s in the left lane doing “the speed limit”.

At that age and state of mental acuity, he should lose both drivers license and right to firearms.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:33:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Dragracer:
Find the scammers, hang until dead.
View Quote

Right next to the old guy…
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:33:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:
View Quote

Are you serious? You can’t shoot someone for trespassing, especially a non threatening person who is trying to leave.  Not “being legally invited to be on the property” is in no way gonna be a mitigating factor.

Stupid old man should fry for this and if his relatives have ignored any cognitive decline and prior aggression they should be held liable as well.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:33:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By FAIL-SAFE:

Uber offers this service, but drivers have to agree to it on the app.  There are certain size and weight restrictions.  The receiving party is supposed to get it from your vehicle.  We have no idea what the package is, and I don't think we are supposed to ask.

Since I have been back driving Uber I have only done one package ride, it was boxes of normal saline solution from a hospital north of Dallas to a doctor's office south of Dallas.  Before Uber offered this service I had taken socket sets for an 18-wheeler from one shop to another.

Fuck that old coot.  

Drive armed.
View Quote

So....  drugs?  If you can anonymously send random people shuffling around town delivering whatever you want, with no questions asked, I'm thinking somebody is using y'all as drug runners.

As to the drive armed part, well, thats exactly why the old dude shot her.  He thought she was gonna grab a gun, and he already had the drop on her.  If they did find a gun on her or in her car, that would just validate his position even more.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:38:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:
View Quote

Courts have generally held that anyone can do a knock and talk which is why LE doesn't need a warrant for it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Top Top