Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 9:09:19 PM EDT

little background....did 6 years in the service, nuclear engineering/fast attack subs...etc etc. Got out about a year ago after 6 years and two fun filled trips to the sandbox. ANYWAYS....I am now a full time college student starting my second year of college (pre-vet) hoping to get into vet med school in a couple years....BUT...and here comes the FUN PART.....I get a letter in the mail today saying that I may be activated for the individual ready reserves in jan05.....they are currently looking for volunteers, and if they dont get em, then the INVOLUNTARY are next (for those who dont know...every enlistment in the military is a standard 8 years...you do X number years active, then the remainder is spent in the individual ready reserve if you are not in the active reserves) SO....decision decision...I need some ARFCOM advice here. I do believe that the chance is slight that I will be activated due to my previous job ( they probably arent looking for people to run/maintain nuke powerplants..the are probably looking for MP's etc...UNLESS they get really desperate and just want a warm body to hold a gun. I THINK my current school status may keep me here, but I am not sure.....ANY ADVICE?

thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:11:20 PM EDT
[#1]
If you dont WANT to go, dont volunteer. If they really need you they will give you a call.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like good advice to me...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Im volunteering for MP (31Bravo), once I get my license and go down to San Jose for testing...aiming for BCT in January.

John
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:19:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I wish I younger.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:21:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Im trying to get recalled and failing.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:23:03 PM EDT
[#6]
You served your country and now its your turn to choose. If you do not want to go, let them call you.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:25:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Im volunteering for MP (31Bravo), once I get my license and go down to San Jose for testing...aiming for BCT in January.

John

MP is 31B now? Not 95b anymore?

ohhh... and go only if you want to... they will make do it anyway...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:27:44 PM EDT
[#8]
you know...if they let me run around in iraq, gave me some real fun toys, and got to send some terrorists to meet their virgins.....that would be pretty damn tempting...and i would already have my mind made up. Unfortunately that would never happen.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, 31Bravo is MP, 31Alpha is MP Officer.

I just gotta qual on ASVAB and a few other minor things....but that shouldnt be too hard for me.

John
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:30:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Most people being called up are the SeaBees, Master at Arms and 9545 NEC (physical security), Naval Coastal Warfare (drilling reservists) and medical personel. Seems strange that the Navy is kicking out so many people and yet they have to call up reservists all the time. I, like a dumb ass, got out of the Navy a yr ago and joined the Active Reserves. 7 months after my last deployment on active duty I was deployed. Ya, wifey liked that. I'm not sure how it works for IRR but I know we had Drilling Reservists in college and they had to drop out. If you want some reserve web sites to check on facts let me know I'll dig em up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:11:28 PM EDT
[#11]
You need to call the POC and find out what the real deal is.
They may need nukes, they may need warm bodies.
You might want to think about your college plans.
It would suck to spend the money on college and then have to leave in the middle of a semester.
You might also ask the Reserves (as in special request chit) to allow you to finish up your semester if they are going to call you to active duty.
I don't know where you live, but you might also want to contact your representitives for some help.

Is the letter from your local reserve center or is it from the Naval Reserve Center out of  New Orleans?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:53:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:57:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I wish I younger.

You and me both!

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:58:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wish I younger.

You and me both!

SGatr15

If I were in my teens I would enlist in a heartbeat
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:00:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wish I younger.

You and me both!

SGatr15

If I were in my teens I would enlist in a heartbeat

HELL!!!  I'll take my own AR rifle and AMMO!

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:18:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I understand they actually have you until you're 50 something (read the fine print).  Hopefully it won't get that bad.  The 8 years is just for the IRR.  If they need you they'll find you.  (Ex. medical or SF).  I wouldn't change my plans or make any rush decisions.  Be proud of your service, but move on to the career you'd like to pursue.  If things change you have no control over then just roll with the punches.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:57:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I am certain that 8 years is all that is required of you wether they are active or IRR. Thats all they can get from you unless you had retired and are drawing a check [retainer pay until 30 years on the books]. That requires Presidential level action. Don't sweat it . From a rocket scientist to a steam pig.... LOL Good luck in school
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:19:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Most people being called up are the SeaBees, Master at Arms and 9545 NEC (physical security), Naval Coastal Warfare (drilling reservists) and medical personel.

Funny, I was up at Crater Lake, Ore on vacation a couple of years ago and met this really nice woman, she was a 2nd Lt in the Navy(i don't remember exactly what branch), she and her husband had just adopted a little Chinese girl, and she told me that she would go back into the military if they ask her. She was a RN nurse.

Botch: I wish you luck getting into veternarian school because vet school is harder to get into than regular med school.  Here in Kali-fornia we have only 2 vet schools; UC Davis in N. Calif, and 1 private school in S. Calif which I can't remember the name of at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:36:00 AM EDT
[#19]
My advice is not to volunteer, if they really need your skills they will call you up, but it sounds like your MOS is not one that is needed badly.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:38:24 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

John

i was thinking the same thing....31 series used to be commo.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:45:28 AM EDT
[#21]
How do you go to the sandbox in a sub?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:05:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

John

It still is, commo and commo repair types. At least it was when I got out not too long ago.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:14:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:18:12 AM EDT
[#24]
can you really call it a "trip to the sandbox" if you were in a submarine? i mean underwater is underwater right? theres no windows, you didnt actually eat/sleep/walk in the sand so you could have been under the polar ice cap for all you knew right?

im busting your balls a little but seriously...sub duty would be my nightmare. it takes a special kind of man to be a bubble head and i admire you willingness and courage to lock yourself in a can, sink into the most inhopitable environment on earth and stay for months on end just to watch our collective backs...thanks man!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:46:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:57:26 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

John

It still is, commo and commo repair types. At least it was when I got out not too long ago.

I read they were changing a bunch of MOS numbers this year.

now that you mention it...i think i heard the same.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:58:14 AM EDT
[#27]
shit man, didn't you learn anything in you six years?  NEVER volunteer.

Dg84
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:07:33 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
How do you go to the sandbox in a sub?

through the suez canal

they did let us out to stretch once in a while. I spent time in both Bahrain and Dubai.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:15:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:36:26 AM EDT
[#30]
I posted it a couple months ago.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:40:16 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I posted it a couple months ago.

Quoted:

Quoted:

OOOHHH....maybe thats where i heard it?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:24:16 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Retired officers are IRR until they are 65 (Regular Army officers anyway, I am not sure about reservists), Enlistedmen are only obligated for eight years, or until they are discharged after eigth years, of course they can change the law whenever they want to.

Usually after serving 6 years, you will be discharged and the remainder in time will swept away, no IRR time.  I served 6 years 7 months Active and had no IRR obligation upon discharge.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:33:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Unless you had the chance to actually kill terrorists, it would not be worth delaying school. IMHO
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Unless you had the chance to actually kill terrorists, it would not be worth delaying school. IMHO

good point..
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Recommend you contact your nearest Navy Reserve center and speak with a career counselor or personnel officer.  By frank and tell they the truth.  Find out how vulnerable you are considering your Nuc engineering rating and NEC.  Find out if they are planning on activating guys like you and then retraining them into usable jobs.  I hear corpsmen are in short supply.

After you are done with school, why not opt for an active duty commission in one of the services?

The Navy is on a drawdown now, but I understand the Marine Corps is hiring.  They are part of the Dept. of the Navy.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:43:35 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Retired officers are IRR until they are 65 (Regular Army officers anyway, I am not sure about reservists), Enlistedmen are only obligated for eight years, or until they are discharged after eigth years, of course they can change the law whenever they want to.

Usually after serving 6 years, you will be discharged and the remainder in time will swept away, no IRR time.  I served 6 years 7 months Active and had no IRR obligation upon discharge.

They switched it from 6 to 8 sometime in the mid eighties, so depending on when you enlisted....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top