Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 5:12:52 PM EDT
This was about the worst experience of my life.  A lot of my property is messed up but my family is OK and safe.  My things can be replaced.  My guns are fine, however. Move to Florida!

PS  For those of you who know (or remember): (Hint - 'AR-10 and Pinapples'), the pineapple plants didn't make it.  I'm so sad.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#1]
YIKES  Glad you still have your roof.  Sorry your yard is such a mess...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

This was about the worst experience of my life.

After Action Report please!

The house looks pretty intact, though we can't see if you suffered water damage.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad you are ok...great pics.

While on topic and the season not over, what would you have done differently or prepared differently. In other words, besides changing the storm itself, what else would you do to change the aftermath? In a personal  property owner's sense.

Just curious because Ivan is probably going to lurk up here in the Panhandle.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:20:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh man, your yard is a mess.  I'm sorry for the loss of all the trees.  The house seems mostly OK, so I hope it is.

Hang in there, and good luck.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:26:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Welcome back!, Glad to hear that the family is okay.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad you're OK and the house is still standing!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

While on topic and the season not over, what would you have done differently or prepared differently. In other words, besides changing the storm itself, what else would you do to change the aftermath? In a personal  property owner's sense.

Thanks.

I did about all I could do to prepare for this storm.  There is a wealth of info available to help you out around here.  I have to say that 'the powers that be' here (West Palm Beach), did a fine job of getting that info out to folks.  The TV and later (sans power) radio people were on 24/7 keeping me and my family 'company' through out the storm.  We never felt alone.
To prepare: Plywood all windows, gas in cars, propane in grill, can foods, ice for coolers, batteries, flashlights, first-aid...blah, blah.  This was my first storm (I've lived here for about 11 years) and it was only (!) a cat 1 or 2.  I can't even begin to imagine what a stronger storm would be like.  If a cat 3 or 4 comes at me in the future...prepare the house and git outta Dodge...no shit.  Ya don't know until ya lived it.  This was some very scary shit.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow, glad you made it through alright.  Looks like a mess.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Glad you're OK and the house is still standing!

House is OK.  Some roof damage in places (shingles blown away down to tar paper and plywood) and water inside, but all in all...not too bad.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

I did about all I could do to prepare for this storm.  There is a wealth of info available to help you out around here.  I have to say that 'the powers that be' here (West Palm Beach), did a fine job of getting that info out to folks.  The TV and later (sans power) radio people were on 24/7 keeping me and my family 'company' through out the storm.  We never felt alone.
To prepare: Plywood all windows, gas in cars, propane in grill, can foods, ice for coolers, batteries, flashlights, first-aid...blah, blah.  This was my first storm (I've lived here for about 11 years) and it was only (!) a cat 1 or 2.  I can't even begin to imagine what a stronger storm would be like.  If a cat 3 or 4 comes at me in the future...prepare the house and git outta Dodge...no shit.  Ya don't know until ya lived it.  This was some very scary shit.  

Oh we know it...we've had 16 storms in around the Panhandle since 1976. The 3 worst (Opal, Eloise and Erin) did damage that is still evident today. I went through Camille as my first storm, I was 8 years old and staying with my Aunt & Uncle in Grand bay, Mobile AL. Unreal way to introduce me to a hurricane. SOmething I will never forget. I just wanted to hear about the things you could personally attest to that worked.

The duct tape on windows wives tale of yester years is finally gone.

I am wandering that maybe if we cut some of the larger branches "lots of leaves", on our trees before the storm hits, this might actually save the trees life. Eventhough they might look like a sheared poodle for a while, I think it may save some trees.

Anyway..glad you made it through ok. Hope you enjoyed the 80 mph howl of a cane..nothing like it, huh? It's almost mezmerizing...like train that keeps coming and coming.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Glad you made it OK. It was an experience and my first 'cane too in 8 years. I agree, anything over cat one or weak cat 2 I'm leaving.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top